Stowage 'thingy' you hang on doors

Just wondered if most people took these to put shoes, etc in. We are a family of four in a D1 cabin (corner aft) and know that storage space will be limited for all of us. If so, where is the best place to get them and how much do they cost??

As you can see I am from the UK but am a flight attendant and regularly make trips to the States, so will be able to buy one over there if necessary.

Thanks

(1st time Cruiser)

My roommate and I use the over the door shoe holder in the bathroom to help store our toiletries (and keep them occupied). I believe she got ours at a dollar store, but I think you can find them at places like Wal-Mart or other discount stores.

Whether or not it's worth getting for you depends. I always find there is plenty of storage space in the cabin itself. It's just the bathroom where storage space and counter space are limited where the shoe holder comes in extremely handy.

This doesn't help you at all, but RCI used to give these as C&A gifts. We got two of them branded with the RCI logo on our last cruise. The ones they gave us were specifically for toiletries though, not shoes. They are handy to have.

Along the same line we once found (at Sears I think it was) a cube shaped toiletries bag that has a zipper than runs around all the sides. One really long zipper so when unzipped it all folds apart flat in a sort of cross shape...one long section and a couple side wings. It has a hanger on a chain at the top for hooking on to a door and hangs very well on the inside of the bathroom door. Much as the suggested shoe holders do. It has dozens of little clear plastic pockets for organizing things and when folded in the cube there is a "middle" space that works like a normal suitcase for packing loose stuff. I don't recall it being very expensive either but we have used it many times for longer trips. It can be packed into a suitcase or travel as seperate bag. :cool:

Depending on the quality you are looking for. I got mine at Target, and recently traveled with dh and 2 kids and it was indespensible! My dh thought I was crazy when I hung it up (don't try and hang it any place besides the bathroom door, trust me!), but by day 2 he was a firm believer. Just think of all the clutter that ends up on the "desk" from 4 people and you'll see why you need one.

good luck and happy cruising:D

Hope2havefun,

I purchased a cheap over-the-door organizer from Target for my first cruise (May 2007). I hung it over the bathroom door (on the Explorer) and was able to shut the door all the way. My husband and I found it so helpful! We kept everything in there - perfume/cologne, Q-Tips, hair accessories, other toiletries, etc. It allowed us to keep the limited counter space free and clear. I used a clear one so that it was easy to see what was kept where.

1543281025_15-Cabin7618.jpg.e47386ab7daec0c3c3fd0542557adb9d.jpg

wal mart has them..they are like $9.99 or so..Ive never seen the right ones at our dollar stores, we do look.

I cant find my pics of how we use ours right now but we hang it on the back of the cabin door if it is a regulr balcony cabin and on the inside of the door if we have a junior suite.

We use it to organize...Not for toiletries, even tho we have alot of toiletriess we find the bathroom has ample storage for those items.

As for a 'landing area', where you put stuff to keep neat, PLUS organize so u can always find/.......most find it useful for items such as;

camera, sunglasses, seapass card(s), caps, otc medicines-zantac, pepto, tylenol etc., brushes, sunscreen(s), disposable water camera, flip flops, anything that you dont want just laying around! They work..

(jwick.....glad you had a picture of yours! I just spent 20+ minutes trying to find a picture of how we use ours! To no avail....:-( Went through 1,000s of pics too!)

Make sure the one you purchase has clear plastic pockets, so you can see everything inside it.

We have only used one for cruises when the 4 of us shared a cabin, there's enough space for 2 for absolutely everything.

We never used ours in the bathroom for toiletries as we have a toiletry bag that hangs and is much smaller. We prefer to have the door inside the bathroom free to hang our robes. We put ours on the bathroom door, access to the cabin side. It comes in handy for everything that typically ends up on the desk table or on the floor to stumble over. Sunglasses, visors, bottles of sunscreen, your room cards, papers, flip flops, hairbrushes, so much junk that will clutter the room I don't know how families do without them!

Hi there Hopetohavefun. I've just brought a shoe holder and toiletry holder off e-bay. Our cruise is on 28 June and so looking forward to it! :)

Thats an idea looking on e bay. We are soooo looking forward to out cruise too. Its our first, we go 21st May from Southampton. Are you sailing from there too??

Also, thanks all for the info and pics. I will definitely invest in one!

I have one like this:

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=152&PRODID=65123

which I hang on the back of the closet door, and is fantstic not just for shoes but for small items of clothing like evening wraps, t-shirts, bathing suits, plus handbags. I fold it into two or three sections and put it in the bottom of the suitcase, and it takes up no room.

I have a clear one from Target. I told my TA about it and she requested a picture so she could tell her other clients about it. I also told some friends who just went on a Hawaii cruise and they swear they won't travel without one ever again.

The best part of the shoe holder with the clear compartments is that DH never asks me "where is...":)

Do you think we need one for just 4 nights?

I guess that would depend on how much stuff you take with you for the 4 days.:p I used it on a 5 day cruise as well as 7 day and won't ever go on one without it. It saves so much space and keeps everything organized and easy to find. I just bought a new one for my upcoming cruise. Less than $7 at Target for the one with the clear pockets and it really takes up no room in your luggage if you pack it in the original packaging. When returning home just fold it back flat and pack on top of the suitcase before closing it.

I don't like a lot of "stuff" sitting around causing clutter and so if I don't take mine I am always opening the wrong cabinet looking for whatever. The clear plastic shoe bag (with pockets opening on top) is ideal to stash everything and be able to find it quickly.

LL Bean has great organizers... this is what I have in the family size:

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=personal-organizer&categoryId=51638&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4525&cat4=2936&shop_method=pp&feat=4525-tn

LOVE it!!! (Plus, no unpacking and repacking my toiletries.)

Archived