My opinion of Freestyle (Dawn)

Paul507

Let me set the scene... Aboard the Dawn at the reservation desk, last Thursday evening at 8:30 pm.

US: Any reservations open tonight at any restaurant?

NCL: Sorry, no. everything is full tonight.

US: Ok, figured that. Then we'd like to make a reservation for tomorrow night (FRIDAY) since you can only do it 24 hours in advance.

NCL: Sorry, everything is booked for tomorrow night too.

US: How can that be?? You can only make a reservation 24 hours in advance!

NCL: Sorry- nothing is available.

US: Ok, we'd like to make a reservation for Saturday night then.

NCL: Sorry ,we only take reservations 24 hours in advance.

Two weeks ago, I made fun of someone that ate at the Garden Cafe every night he and his family were on board. I'd like to apologize to him. That is one of the only options you have unless you wake up early and make a reservation for the following night.

I'm sorry- I'm on vacation. I don't want to have to get up early to make a call.

And- here's my main point- if you have to make a reservation for 36 hours later, how is that a lot different from regular cruising? You still have to be at a certain place at a certain time! ONLY YOU MADE THE TIME! I don't know when I'll want to eat 36 hours from now...I didn't know before hand that I HAD to know.

As a side note, last Friday at 5:30 pm we stopped by Salsa which had approximately 5 tables occupied out of a total of about 30 or so. We were told that though they were sorry, there were no tables available for us. ***** is that about?

FYI we were a group of 2. Most of the time except for the first day when we got into Salsa, we ate at the Venetian or Aqua which were fine. I don't believe that "Freestyle" is anything more than a marketing gimmick.

I'm sorry we fell for it- it won't happen again....

That scenario is VERY popular at All inclusive resorts. NCL must have gotten together with those that operate the a la carte restaurants at the AI's in the Caribbean. :eek:

Two weeks ago, I made fun of someone that ate at the Garden Cafe every night he and his family were on board. I'd like to apologize to him. That is one of the only options you have unless you wake up early and make a reservation for the following night.

Most of the time except for the first day when we got into Salsa, we ate at the Venetian or Aqua which were fine.

Sorry that you didn't enjoy your trip. Freestyle isn't really for everyone. Hope you enjoy whatever cruiseline you choose next time. :)

One comment....don't understand why you say that the Garden Cafe is one of the only options you have available and then say you ate at the Venetian and the Aqua. That's 3 choices right there not inlcuding Salsa, Blue Lagoon and room service.

Sorry that you didn't enjoy your trip. Freestyle isn't really for everyone. Hope you enjoy whatever cruiseline you choose next time. :)

One comment....don't understand why you say that the Garden Cafe is one of the only options you have available and then say you ate at the Venetian and the Aqua. That's 3 choices right there not inlcuding Salsa, Blue Lagoon and room service.

I mentioned that because I had made fun of someone that claimed he and his family ate all their meals there. If you had more than 2 people in your group and hadn't gotten a reservation, the Garden Cafe would be, in fact, one of your only options.

I purposely didn't include Salsa since we weren't able to eat there despite the fact that they had 25 empty tables at the time we were there. We were only able to eat at Venetian and Aqua because there were only 2 of us and 2 people don't need a reservation at those two.

Actually, Freestyle might be for me and everyone else except that the way they run it, it's not really "Freestyle" at all.

I mentioned that because I had made fun of someone that claimed he and his family ate all their meals there. If you had more than 2 people in your group and hadn't gotten a reservation, the Garden Cafe would be, in fact, one of your only options.

I purposely didn't include Salsa since we weren't able to eat there despite the fact that they had 25 empty tables at the time we were there. We were only able to eat at Venetian and Aqua because there were only 2 of us and 2 people don't need a reservation at those two.

Actually, Freestyle might be for me and everyone else except that the way they run it, it's not really "Freestyle" at all.

Sorry, I'm really not trying to be combative here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone has different experiences.

I just happen to to totally disagree that anyone on an NCL ship has only the buffet to go to for dinner. It doesn't matter if you are a party of 2 or 20...the main dining rooms can and will accomodate you. Reservations for groups of 8 or more are always welcome at the main dining rooms and groups of less then 8 usually have very little wait time (as other posters have written). Yes, if you are a large group, freestyle pretty much goes out the window as you really cannot just walk right into any restaurant and be seated immediately. However, I really wouldn't think that would come as a surprise to most. On our recent cruise, we didn't really get to experience freestyle as we were a group of 13 and our choice was to freestyle it, or make a reservation for a specific time. We decided we'd rather eat at a certain time then wait for a large table. I guess in a way that was freestyle...we made our own choice! :D

Sorry for your problems. Our first two cruises, we only ate in the free places; we were having a great time and had no problems. Our last (3rd) cruise, we tried Le Bistro and Cagney's, as well as the main dining rooms, the buffet, and Blue Lagoon. We really, really liked it. Nobody seems to mention the atmosphere. It means as much to me as the food. Does your dining room really look like Le Bistro, Tzar's Palace, Summer Palace? Mine doesn't! I generally have a cat on top of my dining room table.:o And then I eat on TV trays...

Freestyle pretty much goes out the window when NCL claims that you can't make reservations more than 24 hours in advance and then takes them 36 hours in advance.

I NEVER SAID that there was only the buffet to eat in. What I did say (or implied) is that if you are not willing to wake up early on your vacation in order to make a reservation for the next evening, you will most likely end up in either the buffet or one of the two main dining rooms as we did.

If you DO make the reservation for the next evenings dining, then you've made a time at which you MUST BE THERE. That is not "freestyle" no matter how you try to spin it.

We were only able to eat at Venetian and Aqua because there were only 2 of us and 2 people don't need a reservation at those two.

Wow, groups other than 2 need reservations in the main rooms :eek: !! ;)

Or are you only implying that groups of 2 don't need reservations (and not mentioning if other size groups do).

I would agree with the difficulty of making reservations in the pay restaurants. It seems to be way too difficult and such a sore point for many cruisers, or at least those that post here.

BUT - on our last two NCL cruises we never made reservations anywhere except for one night (out of 14). We always were able to walk right in and eat. Party of 2,3,4 or whatever is not an issue in the main dining room, buffet, Blue Lagoon or whatever snack bar, or Room Service.

If you DO make the reservation for the next evenings dining, then you've made a time at which you MUST BE THERE. That is not "freestyle" no matter how you try to spin it.

Are you kidding me?:confused: :rolleyes:

The concept of freestyle is eating when you want and where you want, when it comes to the standard offerings of 2 main dining rooms, the buffet, and say about 3 or 4 other options. No one tells you what time or where you have to eat, that's the concept of freestyle. Yes, you have an added bonus of other restaurants that require a reservation and sometimes a 'surcharge' IF YOU SO CHOOSE.

Other cruise lines have their own 'surcharge' restaurants that require reservations also. NCL isn't the only one. So take the 'reservation' restaurants out of the equation when you're looking for the defination of 'Freestyle' and base it on the fact that NCL doesn't tell you that you're going to eat in the Aqua dining room at 6:00 or 8:00.

But some people just can't grasp the concept of making your own choices and need direction, they need to be told you have to eat at 6:00 or 8:00 in whatever particular dining room. Guess you might be one of those people as freestyle isn't for everyone.

I would agree with the difficulty of making reservations in the pay restaurants. It seems to be way too difficult and such a sore point for many cruisers, or at least those that post here.

BUT - on our last two NCL cruises we never made reservations anywhere except for one night (out of 14). We always were able to walk right in and eat. Party of 2,3,4 or whatever is not an issue in the main dining room, buffet, Blue Lagoon or whatever snack bar, or Room Service.

Just to recap- and this was last week so it's fresh in my mind- we were a party of two and were able to eat without a reservation at:

Venetian

Aqua

Garden Cafe

Blue Lagoon (where the portions are tiny and microwaved)

So yeah, that's 4 places and I'm not complaining about the food that I ate- it was good. I'm merely stating that it's nowhere near "freestyle".

Sorry you didn't like Freestyle. I do enjoy it, but you do have to plan a little bit. To me, Freestyle doesn't mean show up when you want to and sit down and eat. You can't do that at popular restaurants on land, either, where I live. To me, Freestyle is looking at your cruise and what activities you'll be doing on a particular day, and then making reservations for a time that is good for that particular day. That doesn't mean you have to get up at the crack of dawn and make reservations. But don't expect to be able to make a reservation at 8:30PM for that night, either. When you arise in the morning, reach over to the phone, if the effort isn't too difficult, and make your reservations. Be aware that restaurants with limited seating, such as the Tepanyaki, fill up fast. Also be aware that a portion of the passengers receive preferred reservations because they've spent a lot of cash with NCL. You might not be able to get the restaurant you want at time you want on a particular night ........ but something SHOULD be available for that night and you can try for the other restaurant on another night. Like I said, it takes planning and a wee bit of effort on your part. If this is too much trouble when you're on vacation, then stick to traditional dining. Aloha.

Sorry ncl we will not be back either after last weeks Dawn sailing. I know that many of you disagree but this was our second try on ncl and we were still not overwelmed in any manner. We have sailed on five different cruiselines and in our opinion ncl was the least impressive. We ate in many of the resturants and found the Aqua to be the worst, atmosphere in there was terrible noisy, cold food, slow service etc. The food choice was prime rib and I will tell you that it was horrible! Everyone around us was amazed at the quality and it was still a topic among people everywhere we went several days later. Please understand there was nothing wrong with our cabin or the food (except prime rib), but we resented having to pay for our food when we had already done that. The entertainment was just okay for us. Our room steward introduced himself to us on thursday evening in the hallway and when he did he called us by the wrong name. He kept our room clean but... never have we felt so disconnected.

I hope that ncl will continue to do freestyle as it meets the desires of a certain group of cruisers but not us.

I too was very disappointed with my recent cruise on NCL. My first cruise was on the Dawn, and I was upgraded to concierge service, so I was able to get the specialty restaurants I wanted. This past cruise, if I hadn't had a friend traveling in the suites, I woul have ended up in the buffet or one of the two main dining rooms the whole trip for Dinner. I walked away from NCL feeling that I was nickeled and dimed to death. I'm still pissed that they charged my son to play foosball in the teen disco room, and that I couldn't get a glass of water on their private island unless I paid for it. I would only go on an NCL cruise again under two conditions - if they were the only ship leaving NYC the week I wanted to go and I could afford at least concierge service.

This topic has come up over & over again

Please before you go on a cruise..

read these boards

understand the dining options

understand there are 2200 people on the ship who also will have to eat

find out the busy times & avoid them or understand the alternatives

I love freestyle....you may not...

If you are afraid of not being able to eat at any resturaunt you want at the exact time you need to pick another line and then make the decision of early or late seating and how many suits you need to pack

Thanks Paul and Cozzello and Nekochan

I am sailing NCL for the first time in May on the PEarl. I must admit that I am having some worries.

I think that what nobody, especially the NCL cheerleaders don't want to admit, is that NCL caters to the big spenders. If you book one of the more expensive rooms, you get access to making your reservations before everyone in the cheaper rooms. For me that rubs me the wrong way.

Nobody wants to say it, but that is the reason why alot of people can't get reservations, like Paul saying he was trying to book Friday night for Saturday night and it was already full, how if you can only book 24 hrs in advance. The upper priced rooms are allowed to do it, that's how.

I don't like the idea of it, since we always book inside rooms and if I feel like I'm treated any different than the more expensive room people, I won't sail them again.

And freestyle, they mislead you with "eat what you want when you want" making it sound like you can just pick a restaurant and go, maybe have a few minutes wait like on land, but that is not the case. In reality it's not much different than the lines with a set dining time, except you pick the time the day before IF you can get in.

Just FYI I am not guessing at all of this, my sister has sailed NCL exclusively and totally admits that unless you book a more expensive room, or if you travel with more than 2 people, your dining options will be limited. Not always but it certainly happens alot.

We have 6 girls going in May and if we cant' get into any of the restaurants when booking 24 hrs in advance I'm not going to be happy. If you're booking the 24 hrs they require and they still say all the restaurants are full, what does that tell you, someone is booking them early, and it's the higher end room people, to me that's not fair.

Sorry ncl we will not be back either after last weeks Dawn sailing. I know that many of you disagree but this was our second try on ncl and we were still not overwelmed in any manner. We have sailed on five different cruiselines and in our opinion ncl was the least impressive. We ate in many of the resturants and found the Aqua to be the worst, atmosphere in there was terrible noisy, cold food, slow service etc. The food choice was prime rib and I will tell you that it was horrible! Everyone around us was amazed at the quality and it was still a topic among people everywhere we went several days later. Please understand there was nothing wrong with our cabin or the food (except prime rib), but we resented having to pay for our food when we had already done that. The entertainment was just okay for us. Our room steward introduced himself to us on thursday evening in the hallway and when he did he called us by the wrong name. He kept our room clean but... never have we felt so disconnected.

I hope that ncl will continue to do freestyle as it meets the desires of a certain group of cruisers but not us.

Boy are you ever correct. We took one cruise last year on the Dawn and had Garden Villa accomodations and felt that it was a second rate cruise experience in every manner. Mediocre food in all restaurants, the insufficiently sized deck area that created shoving matches amongst the guests competing for chairs at the pool, etc., etc. Mondy is much better spent on a top tier cruise line.

Since balconies & above can book restaurants 48 hours in advance thru the concierge, no need to use a reservation desk.

You comment on Salsa with all the empty table. Did you ask about them? All those folks were due within the hour?

Let me set the scene... Aboard the Dawn at the reservation desk, last Thursday evening at 8:30 pm.

US: Any reservations open tonight at any restaurant?

NCL: Sorry, no. everything is full tonight.

US: Ok, figured that. Then we'd like to make a reservation for tomorrow night (FRIDAY) since you can only do it 24 hours in advance.

NCL: Sorry, everything is booked for tomorrow night too.

US: How can that be?? You can only make a reservation 24 hours in advance!

NCL: Sorry- nothing is available.

US: Ok, we'd like to make a reservation for Saturday night then.

NCL: Sorry ,we only take reservations 24 hours in advance.

I'm sorry- I'm on vacation. I don't want to have to get up early to make a call.

And- here's my main point- if you have to make a reservation for 36 hours later, how is that a lot different from regular cruising? You still have to be at a certain place at a certain time! ONLY YOU MADE THE TIME! I don't know when I'll want to eat 36 hours from now...I didn't know before hand that I HAD to know.

As a side note, last Friday at 5:30 pm we stopped by Salsa which had approximately 5 tables occupied out of a total of about 30 or so. We were told that though they were sorry, there were no tables available for us. ***** is that about?

FYI we were a group of 2. Most of the time except for the first day when we got into Salsa, we ate at the Venetian or Aqua which were fine. I don't believe that "Freestyle" is anything more than a marketing gimmick.

I'm sorry we fell for it- it won't happen again....

Since balconies & above can book restaurants 48 hours in advance thru the concierge, no need to use a reservation desk.

Since there are a large number of balconies and above (plus gold and platinum latitudes) with access to the concierge, that is certainly not a guarantee of getting reservations.

Help me out here. I will be going on my first NCL cruise in 2 weeks. Dawn to Bermuda. We will have a party of eight, in three balcony cabins.

With a party of eight can we just show up at any of the restaurants or do we absolutely need reservations. We will be traveling with 5 teenagers. I don't know if they will all eat with us every night. Can we make a reservation for 8 and show up with 6 if some of the kids decided not to join us?

Since we are in Balcony stateroom we will have access to the concierge. Didn't know that, any other perks to the Balcony Staterooms?

Boy are you ever correct. We took one cruise last year on the Dawn and had Garden Villa accomodations and felt that it was a second rate cruise experience in every manner. Mediocre food in all restaurants, the insufficiently sized deck area that created shoving matches amongst the guests competing for chairs at the pool, etc., etc. Mondy is much better spent on a top tier cruise line.

You've got to be kidding, right?

PE

We got that also with Salsa. We walk up and ask for a table. Only about 6 occupied....plenty of empty tables. We were told that nothing was available. Couldn't figure out why....but moved on.

Help me out here. I will be going on my first NCL cruise in 2 weeks. Dawn to Bermuda. We will have a party of eight, in three balcony cabins.

With a party of eight can we just show up at any of the restaurants or do we absolutely need reservations. We will be traveling with 5 teenagers. I don't know if they will all eat with us every night. Can we make a reservation for 8 and show up with 6 if some of the kids decided not to join us?

Since we are in Balcony stateroom we will have access to the concierge. Didn't know that, any other perks to the Balcony Staterooms?

Balcony and Mini suite staterooms do not have concierge access. Balcony's never did and as of Jan. this year they did away with the mini suites having it.

Archived