Getting a table for two

Sparky333

I've requested a two-top for our next cruise but realize that is not guaranteed.

I plan to check when we first board the ship and request to be changed to a table for two if we've gotten a larger one. My question is: I've read a few posts where people mention slipping the maitre d' a $20 to ensure getting what they want. Is that truly done? I thought that was just in movies -- does it really happen and does it really happen on Celebrity cruises?

I think I'd feel quite odd doing that - I picture the maitre d' looking at me like I was crazy or taking the twenty and still not changing my table. Too uncomfortable!

So does anyone really do that or were the previous posts tongue in cheek?

We had the exact same issue 2 weeks ago on the Summit. We had made the reservation a year in advance and asked for a table for 2, but went right to the lounge when we got on the ship, and were told we were at a table of 8. We immediately asked for a change, and tried to tip the maitre d', and he said thank you, but he couldn't take it at that time(but hinted that we would run into him in the dining room). He said he would try to change it, and later that evening, sure enough, we got a new table card with a table for 2. We did tip him the $20 later in the cruise when we saw him, but that was our personal choice (we so appreciated the fact that we got the table for two).

If this is important to you, the first thing you should do when you get on the ship is go to the lounge where they are dealing with dinner reservations, and check into this.

If you don't get the table for two at outset, see him at first opportunity and make the request. Be flexible, helps if you are willing to switch seatings,for example and also indicate a 4-seat would work if just you both seated. We once started at a 4-seater and the maitr'd came to us and said he was sorry we were alone and he would find someone to join us and he actually looked surprised when we said we had wanted to sit by ourselves all along. Just one little happenstance.

Sometimes things open up the 2d, third night. When he does come thru for you, a tip would be in order, size depending on how much he looked after your request to work it out. One good turn deserves another. Good luck.

"We had made the reservation a year in advance and asked for a table for 2, but {i}went right to the lounge{i} when we got on the ship..."

Peteymil, where specifically did you go to request the table change? Which lounge?

Peteymil, where specifically did you go to request the table change? Which lounge?

During embarkation, on M-class ships, you can discuss your table assignment with the Maitre-D in the Rendez-Vous Lounge (deck 4 mid ship).

Floris

During embarkation, on M-class ships, you can discuss your table assignment with the Maitre-D in the Rendez-Vous Lounge (deck 4 mid ship).

Floris

That is precisely what I did-we were the first ones there.

Thank you - I'll make sure to check first thing on our next cruise -- and I'm glad to know that tipping the maitre d' is the right thing to do.

It is absolutely NOT the right thing to do!!!

IF a table for two SUDDENLY became available AFTER the offer of a BRIBE; oh, excuse me, a TIP, then the table of two WOULD have been available BEFORE the BRIBE (TIP)!!!

What a shameful way to procure a table for two one year after booking the cruise!!!

It is absolutely NOT the right thing to do!!!

IF a table for two SUDDENLY became available AFTER the offer of a BRIBE; oh, excuse me, a TIP, then the table of two WOULD have been available BEFORE the BRIBE (TIP)!!!

What a shameful way to procure a table for two one year after booking the cruise!!!

So, your point is that Celebrity should have gotten their request when they initially booked since they booked so far in advance, correct? This sounds like a hassle on Celebrity. We have always gotten our 2 top on HAL but we book about a year in advance. On Celebrity we wanted a 4 top and I knew that should/would never be a problem. But if just my DH and I go on a Celebrity cruise it sounds like it could be one. (HAL confirms our table before we cruise.)

My question is that if the MaitreD' suddenly finds someone a 2 top who has given him money, what happened to the couple that was originally in that 2 top? Someone else must have lost their table.

The table/seating arrangements are not made a year in advance. So even if you book that early, that doesn't really gurarantee anything. Except you will be confirmed for early or late seating. Arrangments are done once all the final payments are made and much closer to sailing date. There are lots of larger tables that can be split into two tops. Just depends on the needs for a particular cruise. We have never had any problems and if you don't get the table you want, remember things open up every night due to couples' choices to eat elsewhere on a certain night. SO always check with the maitre d when you arrive for dinner. We often see unfamiliar faces at tables near us, just using the free space for that night.

Tipping the maitre d has never been needed. It's their job to please the passengers. And remember, a "nice" attitude gets you much further, than a pushy or entitled m.o.

We did B2B on Galaxy, last december (our 6th and 7th cruises with X). We booked it 16 months in advance and as usual we asked for a table for two, something which is very important for us. On embarkation day I checked with the Maitre D' and he said we were seated at a table for 6. A bit upset, I told him we booked 16 months in advance and I presumed we would have our table for two. When he told me what -according to him- the reason was, I even got more upset : because we're Europeans and used a European TA. No kidding. Then he explained that, according to Celebrity, European TA's are less "persistent" than US TA's. So they give priority to the US TA's demands, even if we booked 16 months in advance. I proved him wrong about Europeans not being "persistent" and we got our table for two. (I didn't use a tip). For the second leg of our cruise we could even choose our favorite table for 2 and during the whole trip we had a wonderful dining room team.

It's not just you.

But the GN's basic premise is wrong. Tables for two can indeed be created where there were none already. Therefore, the maitre 'd has gone to some trouble for you and deserves that gratuity as a thank you.

No other people have lost their table for two.

We just cruised the Constellation last week and this was the FIRST time, in twelve Celebrity cruises, we actually got a table for two (we requested). In the past, we would request one and always be assigned a larger table. Of course, we would check with the Asst' Maitre'd in charge of seating when we first boarded, and they would make the change. In the old days I would tip them up-front, but now I think they feel more comfortable being tipped at the end of the cruise.

In 28 cruises together, my wife and I have always been able to get a table for two. We are not anti-social, but we do enjoy that time together. :)

Enjoy!

Kel

Glad it's not me being overly sensitive! Oh well, to each their own way of handling things -- I guess any question you ask on these boards could result in some ruffled feathers.

I would look at it as a tip not a bribe if it ever comes to that; hopefully we'll get our table for two and this will have been a moot point!

We just got off the NW Coast cruise on Mercury. Our TA requested a table for two, we went to check on whether or not we got one as soon as we boarded, and we had gotten exactly what we requested. No problem at all.

Archived