What do people wear on Mediterranean cruises?

We're doing the Med cruise in May and I plan on taking mostly capris, some shorts for places with out restrictions on such attire. I never even think of what the locals will think of my dress, I'm never going to see them again and I'm sure they see hundreds of us tourist every year and never remember any of them, especially if you try to at least be nice and say hello in their language. Looking forward to seeing as much of their countries as I can.

I appreciate hearing that there are others that see capris as clothing that can be more fashionable. I also think that accessories make the outfit too. The bag we carry, our shoes and simple forms of jewlry, not the expensive dripping in diamonds kind, but more fashion and accentuating for the outfit.

I live in a city that sees alot of visitors each year, this is the week as a matter of fact "The Home of the Masters Golf Tournement" and believe me the visitors here are not dressed like most of us that live here are do on a daily basis. I have seen everything, from the ultra rich gotta wear the diamonds, and jewels with their shorts and polo shirts to the cut off jeans and t-shirts with the sneakers and ball caps. I do not think less of them no matter what they are wearing because they are all visiting to have a good time and see some great golf. I will bet that at home most of them don't dress that way to go to work either.

I am going on vacation, I will dress appropriate for the activites, and I will look good doing it. By US average sizes I am on the thinner end of the spectrum, however by most the average European women I am overweight. Not obese, but overweight. I am a LifeTime member of WW and I am getting back to my goal weight. I have lost 16 lbs since January, along with a good decrease in my % of body fat. I work out regular using the Turbo Jam videos, and they really do work. My clothing size has dropped in one month from 14 to 10. I still have 3 weeks till cruise and I hope I don't drop too much more yet as I can't keep getting new clothes and there will not be enough time for alterations on all of them!

I am not stopping my diet or workouts though, because I don't want to start gaining back either. I am excited about the clothes I can now wear and I even have some really cute swim suits too for the cruise. I started packing some things today and it really made me feel good to look at some of those nice outfits I am taking.

Ciao!

I am now very confused after reading this thread. I have gone to great lengths and expense to buy appropriate clothing to wear on my upcoming Med Cruise. It almost made me stop and go shopping for a whole different wardrobe, but then I re-thought things and I am still going as planned.

I have planned to take capris and crop slacks to wear when we are in port with nice blouses and tops to mix and match. I do have two of the crinkle or broom style skirts that I am taking, that I can wear these blouses with as well. I have comfortable sandles and slide shoes to wear. Now, after reading about women in Italy not wearing the capris I don't want to offend or look totally beach style to them. I grew up in a popular vacation town and I know that locals would sneer and make jokes about the tourists. I really do not want to be the brunt of local jokes, I try to look as stylish, yet appropriate for the activity I am involved in. I believe that there is a difference in looking like in capris I am going on a beachcombing trip or dressed in capris/crop slacks in a more dressy style and classic style that would be very appropriate.

That being said I was at Disney World last September and there were a lot of Italian, Spainish and some other European visitors there. I was noting how the dressed and guess what, not much different than Americans on vacation do. They even wore, the dreaded tennis shoes!

I think maybe we get too, concerned about fashion sometimes. What is important, respect those around us that we are visiting their country, respect cultural and social behavior. Above all polite, that makes more impact on representing ourselves and our country.

Will I change and search now for different outfits to take with me, I doubt it. I still think I will be appropriate for the activities I will be doing. I have made sure that all my clothing will cover my shoulders and be below the knee and I will also have either a wrap or sweater with me just as insurance to cover more if needed. I will not be wearing shorts, or t-shirts with writing all over them or sneakers.

We are doing our own self arranged tours an excursions, so I won't be wearing name tags or sticker labels. I hope that whatever you decide to wear that you enjoy your vacation and are comfortable while doing so.

Cindy

I think you'll be fine with what you're packing...I've found that the majority of locals do not care a lick what you are wearing as long as you don't stick out like someone in a clown suit or something. I would suggest that you wear the skirts when going into cities like Rome and Florence and wear the capris in the coastal towns. That's what I did and felt very comfortable and at ease. Have a great trip.

IBy US average sizes I am on the thinner end of the spectrum, however by most the average European women I am overweight. Not obese, but overweight. I am a LifeTime member of WW and I am getting back to my goal weight. I have lost 16 lbs since January, along with a good decrease in my % of body fat. I work out regular using the Turbo Jam videos, and they really do work. My clothing size has dropped in one month from 14 to 10. Ciao!

European women are just smaller boned, I think. I know alot of Italian women do not eat pasta (can you believe it??). In fact, they don't eat very much at all. They eat very fresh, healthy foods and I think that is why they don't gain weight. My Italian friends cook the most wonderful things and she is so thin. I, too am on WW, and hoping the next time they see me, I will be weighing much less.

Thanks for all the comments. I probably will wear long pants or capri's. I found nice light weight ones without pockets or ties etc. They are the ones that fall below the knees.

I do not wear shorts often, and the one pair I bring, will be to wear on the day at sea around the pool.

Some of you mentioned skirts. Would a simple colorful dress with short sleeves be OK to wear?

Thanks for all the comments. I probably will wear long pants or capri's. I found nice light weight ones without pockets or ties etc. They are the ones that fall below the knees.

I do not wear shorts often, and the one pair I bring, will be to wear on the day at sea around the pool.

Some of you mentioned skirts. Would a simple colorful dress with short sleeves be OK to wear?

That would be fine. Have fun!!

for women in an under 45 demographic you could try H and M and Banana Republic for Euro looking clothing. I picked up a really cute linen knee length skirt from H&M for next to nothing. I was in Chicago last weekend and the H&M had more Europeans than Americans shopping there so banking I will look OK

I notice quite a few of you are touting linen. While linen is very comfortable and cool, I wouldn't take it on vacation unless it was washed linen - the kind that looks like it needs ironing. Regular linen looks like you slept in it after a short period of time. It will need to be ironed when it comes out of your suitcase and then again if you want to wear it more than once. (On the other hand if you have a penthouse suite, the butler will do it and it is a non-issue.)

I love to visit churches and mosques when I'm in Europe and the Middle East. I always dress so that I will be respectably dressed if I wander upon a place to go into. In Europe, I'd wear skirts or my outdoor pants with a tank top and my Ex-Officio long sleeved shirt (very light and airy, and you can roll up the sleeves). In the Middle East, I usually wear my outdoor pants and the tank top/long sleeve combo. I also keep a bandana in my bag in case I find a mosque to go into. The bandana has tons of other uses, too, so it's just a good thing to have. It's better than a scarf because, if you need to use it to clean something off, you can wash it back at the room/cabin.

My shoes that I took last year were a pair of El Naturalista open back shoes. They were so comfy that I wandered all day around Rome for 2 days and Florence for 1 day and never got tired feet. They are pretty trendy looking, but the cushy rubber sole takes all the abuse that the sidewalks and streets dish out. They went with both the skirts and the pants.

I notice quite a few of you are touting linen. While linen is very comfortable and cool, I wouldn't take it on vacation unless it was washed linen - the kind that looks like it needs ironing. Regular linen looks like you slept in it after a short period of time. It will need to be ironed when it comes out of your suitcase and then again if you want to wear it more than once. (On the other hand if you have a penthouse suite, the butler will do it and it is a non-issue.)

I wear linen all summer long and bring it on cruises to hot climates. IMHO, there's nothing cooler or more comfortable. I wear linen that needs to be ironed and only have it ironed after cleaning/washing. (but I only wear blouses once before washing again) However, the wrinkles are part of its chic-ness. It's a look, very european, that either you like or you don't. Personally, I find it very casually elegant looking.

Since I live in a big city, when I go to European cities I dress the same way as when I'm at home. For summer, that means, a pair of linen pants, flat sandals and then either a linen shirt w/ tank underneath (to avoid too much sun on my arms) or a nicely fitting tee (Petite Bateau being my fave brand). I'd never walk around a big city in shorts, and/or sneakers.

Maybe that's why no matter where we travel, people always assume I'm a native...until they realize I can't answer them when they ask me a question. :)

I think that overall, what some people call the "American Tourist" look, is really the "American Suburban" look. It's easily recognized here in NYC as well. I live near Grand Central Station and there are many hotels in my neighborhood. It's so easy to spot the American non-New Yorkers by their style of dress. It's simply that most Americans have a small town style as opposed to big city style, and that's what's so easily recognized in European cities. To that end, people who visit here from European cities, usually blend in here and are often spoken to in english and then answer with "I don't speak english" which lets us know they're tourists.

I love to visit churches and mosques when I'm in Europe and the Middle East. I always dress so that I will be respectably dressed if I wander upon a place to go into. In Europe, I'd wear skirts or my outdoor pants with a tank top and my Ex-Officio long sleeved shirt (very light and airy, and you can roll up the sleeves). In the Middle East, I usually wear my outdoor pants and the tank top/long sleeve combo. I also keep a bandana in my bag in case I find a mosque to go into. The bandana has tons of other uses, too, so it's just a good thing to have. It's better than a scarf because, if you need to use it to clean something off, you can wash it back at the room/cabin.

My shoes that I took last year were a pair of El Naturalista open back shoes. They were so comfy that I wandered all day around Rome for 2 days and Florence for 1 day and never got tired feet. They are pretty trendy looking, but the cushy rubber sole takes all the abuse that the sidewalks and streets dish out. They went with both the skirts and the pants.

Never heard of this brand and did a google search. They look like nice walking sandals. (i wasn't crazy about the shoes, and thought their sandals were much nicer).

These look nice for walking around all day. (other colors available) And a good price at $125. Thanks for the heads up!

http://www.planetshoes.com/itemmatrix.asp?groupcode=1184

The style I have are the Iggdrasil, in the orangy tan. I'm not much of a sandal wearer (I've got some ugly toes), so these slip-ons were just the ticket. I also bought a pair of the Iggdrasil boots in red for the winter. But, then I broke my left leg, so I couldn't wear them (I didn't want to wear out just the right boot!).

This year, I have a pair of J-41 Aquarius shoes. I'm relegated to flats for at least the next 6 months, so I had to buy a few more pairs of shoes other than my trail runners. I also have a neat pair of Keen Mary Jane slides. Both are comfy, too.

When we were in Italy last year I couldn't believe how many people we saw wearing jeans. I fell for the old "everyone dresses up", not true. Wear nice clothes that make you feel good & comfortable; there is a lot of walking on cobblestone streets. I think capris are perfect.

Jan

:) Wear comfortable.

We were in Italy last early October (2007)--it was very hot--so cool clothing was perfect.

And as someone stated earlier--20,000+ tourists are getting off the ships alone...let alone the people who fly into Italy. You are going to see more tourists than locals if you are going to the touristy spots (ie. old town Florence, The Vatican, Coliseum, Amalfi Coast)...you are going to be known as a tourist, and the locals just want you to spend at their shops.

I saw LOTS of white sneakers (on trains with locals, with students, etc). I saw lots of jeans. I did see lots of local women in high heels...but I saw more gypsies and pushy peddlers than fashionable local women.

Just be comfortable. Walking shoes are a must (and if you are going to Pompeii--very sturdy walking shoes as you will be walking on dirt and rocks).

And...best advice ever...hold onto your purse/bag.:)

You'll love Italy, so go and enjoy. :)

We can agree to disagree on this subject.:) Italians do not wear big white tennis shoes with socks, shorts, etc. Definitely no Crocs or socks with sandals. They generally wear stylish Pumas, Filas, etc. when wearing athletic shoes. The guys will dress up nice jeans with crisp, tailored shirts and leather shoes. The younger women wear dresses or skirts or stylish jeans with heels for the most part. It always amazes me to see them flying through the narrow streets dressed up with stilettos on.:eek:

I am most comfortable when dressed fashionably and do not find it at all uncomfortable to do so. I wear athletic shoes to the gym or to run whether home or in Europe and not for enjoying the beautiful cities of Europe - or anywhere else.

I was in Italy mid October last year and often visit in the fall. It was 45 and rainy several days while we were there (2 weeks). In Rome it was warm and sunny. Capris are not something worn in the fall by Europeans IME. The women were wearing fall clothing, great boots, etc. I have always found that the Italians dress for the season. I pack in layers when traveling in the fall months and have never had a problem.

• 1 year later...

We will be cruising in late October to the Med on Celebrity Equinox for 13 days :) and I want some insight into the type of clothes to wear? We also will be staying in Rome for three days and Monte Carlo for 2 days.

Can I bring white and/or pink capris or would dark be more appropriate?

What about formal wear? I have to keep luggage light as we will be traveling in Europe for 26 days. I am planning on taking a black and a navy broomstick skirt with some Alex Evening dressy tops that I can mix and match with some less dressy tops.

Any suggestions? Also, any one suggest a comfortable type of hat to wear as I hate hats but think that they may be needed in Israel and Egypt.

I know my "advice" is too late for the original OP, but I'm still going to give my 2cts.

I am as European as they come. I work as a consultant for a BIg4 company, and today at work I am wearing capris and Geox sandals (no heels after my knee injury) (and if Lois is around, I am wearing the white capris I wore when I first met you onboard the Century!)

I plan to wear capris all the time when on the Med cruise (provided my vacation request will get approved here at work). I wore capris (and sleeveless t-shirts/ tank tops with deeeeeeep cleavage) while in Marrakesh/ Morocco last year, and no one even looked twice at me. (you can't visit mosquees in Marrakesh) (and I usually have a shirt with sleeves rolled up in my purse if my shoulders need to be covered, or a pashmina)

Many women here in Europe wear capris, it seems to be the new uniform. More casual during free time, more dressed up for work.

We also wear a lot of sneakers, however, I think "we" (being European women) kind of choose the more trendy sport shoes. You know, sneakers you wouldn't wear to actually do sports, like the trendy Adidas/ Puma ones, Geox, Olivier Strelli, etc. And of course no socks that show, haha!

We will be cruising in late October to the Med on Celebrity Equinox for 13 days :) and I want some insight into the type of clothes to wear? We also will be staying in Rome for three days and Monte Carlo for 2 days.

Can I bring white and/or pink capris or would dark be more appropriate?

What about formal wear? I have to keep luggage light as we will be traveling in Europe for 26 days. I am planning on taking a black and a navy broomstick skirt with some Alex Evening dressy tops that I can mix and match with some less dressy tops.

Any suggestions? Also, any one suggest a comfortable type of hat to wear as I hate hats but think that they may be needed in Israel and Egypt.

I suggest darker colors for your capris would be more appropriate (although if you are visiting a "resort" destination like Santorini, the lighter colors would be fine. Otherwise, I notice (particularly in European cities), that most people wear darker colors. (FWIW, I generally travel in Europe in the late fall; the temps are bearable and the crowds are much less!)

As for hats: If you really hate them, you can do without. I cannot stand to wear a hat. At my family's insistence, I always take one along but have NEVER ended up wearing it, not in two visits to Egypt nor anywhere in the Med. Just wear plenty of sunscreen on your face (and neck if you have shorter hair).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. We've been to the Med and I wore nice slacks and tops for all

of our tours. However, we will be going to the Acropolis in Athens,

and for Turkey will be going to Ephesus to House of Virgin Mary, museums and Basilica of St. John. We will be doing a lot of stairs and rocky paths.

Would bermuda shorts be out of line for these places, or am I safer

wearing capris? It is supposed to be very hot and humid. I don't want

to wear skirts because of the stairs issues. Thanks.

and we have been all over Europe. I can assure you the Europeans wear capris......even the men. Everywhere we go people are wearing capris. And Crocs have caught on in Europe as well. They sell them in almost every shoe store, even the knock offs.

Wearing shorts, capris and tennis shoes is not tacky or sloppy at all. It is casual. And the last thing you want to do is dress like you have money. Thats the ones the pick pockets are going to get. Leave your flashy jewelry, and designer clothes in your cabin. Europeans have become more Westernized in the last 5 years. So many dress like us Westerners more than ever. You would be surprised at the fashions you find in the stores now. Its like walking into an American store.

I think people should wear what they are comfortable in. Who cares what anyone else thinks. As long as you are clean and presentable and respectable.

I'm more concerned about what I'm wearing ON the ship than off LOL.

You don't mention when you are going, but I think the Bermuda shorts would be fine; definitely for Ephesus tour, and probably for Athens (particularly if you're just doing the Acropolis). On the other hand, I've done both and skirts would be no problem either (I assume you mean from a modesty perspective....?)

Cynthia, thanks for the reply. In Italy, you had to worry about keeping

knees and shoulders covered. Is this the same for Greece and Turkey,

as far as house of Virgin Mary, Basilica of St. John, etc? Thanks

The Basilica of St. John is ruins; it is not an active religious site, so no problem there. I did not go to the Virgin Mary's house, so I'm afraid I can't answer. I do know that it's a site of holy pilgrimage as far as the Catholic Church is concerned.

I just did a quick search of Google and found the following, which shows photos of folks in shorts at both sites.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gc.maricopa.edu/business/petras/vac99/entry-to-st-john-basilica.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.gc.maricopa.edu/business/petras/vac99/kusadasi.html&usg=__rF3I6NMm1llH2ymIcQ2EfNfPlDY=&h=480&w=640&sz=79&hl=en&start=10&tbnid=5w-VcGJ4vDWtMM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbasilica%2Bof%2Bst%2Bjohn%2Bephesus%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den

Archived