Anyone Know Of A Nice Place In Bayonne

jobowl

We're staying at the Residence Inn in Elizabeth for our May 17 cruise - never been there but it gets nice write ups so we're hopeful. There's a lot of discussion of Bayonne and area hotels over in the East Coast Departures message boards.

Last September we also stayed at the Country Inn & Suites. It was the Airport location. Has a free shuttle to and from the airport which was convenient to use. Next door to a Ruby Tuesday's. Clean and quiet. I would stay there again. We also got it using Hotwire bidding on the 3 1/2 star. Total was around $85, if I remember correctly.

The night before we talked to the people at the desk and asked to reserve a car or van to take us to Cape Liberty. I am glad we did this as many people were staying there and didn't pre-arrange this and had much longer waits than we did.

Wendy

where are you driving from?? Stayed recently just on the Penn border and it was very nice and inexpensive. just about an hour and 1/2 from the port. perfect for the morning drive in to be there around 11:30. If you are interested I can give you the particulars.

There is also a Marriott Courtyard next door to the Residence Inn and Country Inn Elizebeth. We stayed there in November last year and it was very nice and the staff was the nicest we have expirenced. Free suttle to and from the Airport in Newark where you can catch trains to NYC. Bill

Just returned from a sailing on the EOS from Bayonne.... Stayed at the Sheraton Newark Airport!:) Very clean, and a super nice hotel with excellent dining/bar facilities! Airport shuttle 24/7...

Booked a limo thru AMS for the trip to Cape Liberty for the 6 of us at $54.50 total from the Sheraton, and post-cruise got a cab from Cape Liberty to EWR for $40.00 (per cab).... It's a great choice...:p Would be more than willing to book the Sheraton again...

ps: This was NOT Sheraton 'Four Points'...

Just stayed at the Courtyard Elizabeth on April 19th. Excellent staff, free shuttle from airport. Cab fare to cruiseport was $55. Notified the desk the night before our cruise that we would need a cab in the morning and they arranged everything for us. Walked to the Jersey Diner for dinner, (no liquor license yet), excellent food, staff not the friendliest. Would stay there again if we were cruising out of Bayonne.

where are you driving from?? Stayed recently just on the Penn border and it was very nice and inexpensive. just about an hour and 1/2 from the port. perfect for the morning drive in to be there around 11:30. If you are interested I can give you the particulars.

I would love the information if you have it. We are still trying to decide if it is cheaper to park at the port for 12 days, or stay in closer, find a hotel that will allow us to leave our car, and arrange a ride to the port.

Thanks for the info offer.

I can't seem to find a review for this hotel. Any comments from those that have stayed? We are there Oct 4,5 ex the Explorer so we can see part of NYC and it is close to transportation. Path station is right there. This is a RCL hotel booking. It also shows up on my CSAA book. (We are from Northern CA)Would appreciate any comments. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't stayed in downtown Newark for many years, but since you are from California, I would not advise it. If it were me, I would look at the hotels near Journal Square in Jersey City, where you would be closer to the port and NYC and have the same access to the Path trains. Newark railroad station always gave me the creeps late at night. If it's the same hotel I stayed in, it's right across the street, but it seems like a long way late at night.

Look at the 2/24/08 Explorer thread - many people seemed to be picking hotels at Journal Square or even the fancier hotels at Exchange Place. I recently stayed with friends in the Grove St./Exchange Place area and felt very comfortable on the street at night, even more so than when we lived there many years ago.

Ann,

It cost $16.00/day to park = $192.00 for the 12 days. Only the Best Western at Newark airport was offering a park/cruise which included transportation to the port. The reviews for this hotel were very mixed.

I did a park/fly two years ago from the Sheraton Newark Airport and was very satisfied. However, you would have to pay for the hotel room as well as a cab to and from the port. This will be more than $192.00.

There are advantages to splurging on the parking at the port. At the end of the cruise, you can hop in your car and you are on your way. No waiting to find your transportation. No going back to some hotel and retrieving your car. If you are coming from a distance, you could stay 40+ miles away to get a cheaper motel rate. You could also book something close in case of bad weather and make a final decision that week.

My mother lives 45 miles from Bayonne on the NJ Turnpike. We left there at 10 am, arrived at 11 am, and were on the ship at 12. There was no traffic on a Sunday morning.

Keep looking on the web. The Bayonne departure has become very popular and someone may come up with a good park/cruise solution.

We are going on a 9 day cruise out of Cape Liberty. So, if I understand correctly, if we are driving, it is more cost effective to use the port parking than pay for a taxi and pay to park at the hotel?

Port Parking: $16 * 9 = $144.00

Cab: $55.00 + $55.00+ Hotel Parking (9 * $8.00) = $182.00

Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Great topic!

If it were me, I would look at the hotels near Journal Square in Jersey City

The only hotel near Journal Square is the Ramada Ltd., and if you were a little unsure about staying at the Hilton Penn Station, this place is not for you. The Jersey City Hyatt near Exchange Place is tops in this area, followed by the Jersey City Courtyard at Pavonia/Newport, then the Jersey City Doubletree, lastly the Candlewood Suites. BTW, if you check Hotwire and see a 4* in the Jersey City zone, its likely the Hyatt.

As far as staying on the Pennsylvania border, if your departure is on a weekday, then I would advise against this. Eastbound traffic on either I-80 or I-78 can be a battle in the morning as you will share the road with commuters. The 1.5 hour trip is with no traffic.

Tigers2,

I think it depends if you need a hotel room regardless. For a 9 day cruise the parking would be $144. The Sheraton Newark Airport will let you leave your car for free for most if not all of that time if you spend a night. This is a promotion that is directed at people flying. However, they don't care if you take a cab to the port or the shuttle to an airline terminal.

The problem is not getting there, it's getting back. You've been on a wonderful relaxing 9 day cruise and all of you arrive back at Bayonne at the same time. It's chaotic. If you are parked at the port, you can walk off the ship to your car and you are gone (the parking is beyond the congestions of the dropoff/pickup area). RCL even had a "walk off" option which you had to register for. This meant that you kept your luggage and carried it off yourselves. It did involve carrying it down 1 flight of stairs from Deck 2 to Deck 1, but these folks were the very first to leave. If I could have done that, I would have. All you need to do is take a deep breath, be patient, and not get sucked into the craziness. You are gone first leaving everyone in the dust. Even if you cannot walk off, it is still a wonderful option. We had arrived early and were parked close to the dropoff area. The porter and attendent wheeled my mom and the luggage right to the car!

Otherwise you are part of the larger crowd trying to connect with their transportation wherever.

Ann,

It cost $16.00/day to park = $192.00 for the 12 days. Only the Best Western at Newark airport was offering a park/cruise which included transportation to the port. The reviews for this hotel were very mixed.

I did a park/fly two years ago from the Sheraton Newark Airport and was very satisfied. However, you would have to pay for the hotel room as well as a cab to and from the port. This will be more than $192.00.

There are advantages to splurging on the parking at the port. At the end of the cruise, you can hop in your car and you are on your way. No waiting to find your transportation. No going back to some hotel and retrieving your car. If you are coming from a distance, you could stay 40+ miles away to get a cheaper motel rate. You could also book something close in case of bad weather and make a final decision that week.

My mother lives 45 miles from Bayonne on the NJ Turnpike. We left there at 10 am, arrived at 11 am, and were on the ship at 12. There was no traffic on a Sunday morning.

Keep looking on the web. The Bayonne departure has become very popular and someone may come up with a good park/cruise solution.

Thanks for the info. We are coming in from over 8 or 9 hours away, so we will be staying a night before and a night after the cruise and catching some of the sights in NYC while we are there, so we are looking at the difference in hotel costs for staying closer in, possibly parking, and taxi in comparison to the cost of parking at the port.

There is also the pro of not having to deal with traffic and the con of waiting for the limo driver if there are traffic problems at the port.

Oh - decisions, decisions.

We are going on a 9 day cruise out of Cape Liberty. So, if I understand correctly, if we are driving, it is more cost effective to use the port parking than pay for a taxi and pay to park at the hotel?

Port Parking: $16 * 9 = $144.00

Cab: $55.00 + $55.00+ Hotel Parking (9 * $8.00) = $182.00

Is this correct or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Great topic!

We got a quote from AMS for us from the Newark area hotels for 4 of us plus a lot of luggage for around $42. Depending on the hotel, the cost of parking changes and some nights may even be including in the hotel cost.

What hotel quoted you $8/day for parking?

Thanks 138east for the insight! We have plenty of time. I'm just trying to choose our best option for cost and stress!

Alwalaska, we are driving about 8 hours also and might want to explore NYC? I called Best Western last night and was quoted $159.99 hotel and parking up to 10 days and free breakfast. They also include a free shuttle to the ship and back. I also called Country Inn and received an estimate of 185.00, 2 free transfers ($45.00 PP extra), 8 days free parking and $9.00 per extra day!

I'm not sure where $8.00 parking came from?

Archived