Room Service gratuity

BJS

...has been told officially that it is or is not covered by the auto tip.

On our last cruise with the DAWN we spoke with the PSD (hotel manager) and he told us, that the room service is included in the automatic tip and that there is no need to tip additional.

Even if they are covered in the automatic gratuity (officially), for gosh sakes give the poor room service guy a buck or two. Is it really that big a deal?
I will second that. I personally would feel awkward accepting room service and not offering a gratuity. We always bring along a big stack of small bills just for this reason (as well as for bell hops and baggage handlers pre and post cruise).

How annoying :( When automatic tips were put into effect, the explanation was that it would simplify our cruise life. Now we find that we're getting mixed messages about whose service is covered and whose is not. We need to take along and have at our disposal lots of small bills. We spend time debating what to do, worrying about whether we're doing the right thing, and even testing the system.

I wish Princess and other cruise lines would make up their minds. Either do away with automatic tipping, or raise the amount so that everyone is covered and forbid the staff from accepting extra gratuities.

event.png

event.png

image.php?code=0XT13269d6Xk17Xs22XEmerald%20Princess%20SCUBA%20cruise

Lied to or not, Toto is absolutely right. Big tippers always get better service, especially if you are a repeating customer, like room service everyday. Although I'm not happy about it, I have come to accept the daily tip charge as simply an increase in the cruise price like tax or port charges; when mandatory, T.I.P. looses its meaning. So if the service is good, or you would like To Insure that it stays that way, tip extra!

I just did something that posters never do, because they would rather speculate. I called Princess. I was told that the per day tip charge covers everything that doesn't cost extra. For the things that do cost extra, a tip is added to the bill. So, having cash for tips is not necessary. Now what supprised me was that I was also told "But you can give extra".

I guess that the official word is that its up to you!:confused:

I've booked my first Princess Cruise, but have not yet sailed Princess. I have sailed NCL, Disney, Holland America, and Silversea. With the exception of Silversea, which has a no-tipping policy, these other lines do something similar to what is said in the quote above. For example, on Disney cruises, if you make a bar purchase, you are given a slip that includes a gratuity line. However, Disney makes it clear that an automatic 15% gratuity is included in the bar bill. So, the extra tip is on top of that.

That gives me a real dilemma, since I generally prefer to tip at least 20% for good service. But, when 15% is already included and I sign on an additional 5% or give 5% additional cash, my extra tip looks embarrassingly tiny.

I really appreciate Silversea's no-tipping policy. But, even there, are room hostesses were so good that I couldn't stop from adding on a tip.

My thinking is that all cruise ship staff work very hard and long hours for relatively low pay. So, while I'm living big, I ought to do at least a little to share the wealth.

--Rich

I know this is not official and is just my opinion and "two cents"...but no matter what it says in the normal procedure, the people who bring your room service deserve a little something special. They didn't just carry a tray of food from the galley to your table...they carried it down the hall, up or down the elevator and then down the hall again...navigating through how many people...they deserve a little something more than the server in the dining room. I'm not trying to say that anyone works more or less than anyone else, but it does seem that potentially carrying someone's food the entire length of the ship rather than in the same room does warrant a few bucks.

I'm not trying to say that anyone works more or less than anyone else, but it does seem that potentially carrying someone's food the entire length of the ship rather than in the same room does warrant a few bucks.

Not always do they do that ...when they deliver the breakfast that are ordered by putting out the card they do not carry these trays the entire length of the ship. There are carts that these are brought up on and then wheeled from room to room.

I thank those that have posted the "official word" that have gotten.

On our last cruise with the DAWN we spoke with the PSD (hotel manager) and he told us, that the room service is included in the automatic tip and that there is no need to tip additional.

I just did something that posters never do, because they would rather speculate. I called Princess. I was told that the per day tip charge covers everything that doesn't cost extra. For the things that do cost extra, a tip is added to the bill. So, having cash for tips is not necessary. Now what supprised me was that I was also told "But you can give extra".

I guess that the official word is that its up to you!

Is it "official"? We have been told by room service - after giving them an "extra" tip that they are covered by the auto tip. Is that "official"?

I don't know if you would consider it official but I did ask at the Pursers desk on our 1st cruise after Auto-Tip was put in place. As we had been fortunate in receiving excellent service I was getting envelopes to hand out extra. Since we alway use AM room service (and tip upon delivery) I asked if that part of the staff was part of the tip pool. I was told no. Is that "official" - your call. We also had another opportunity to ask the same question when on a 14 day cruise we became quite friendly with Raul who showed up each morning at 650am sharp with our coffee and tea. The question simply arose in one of our conversations with him and he advised us the same. At that time (and now) I really believed him as he had nothing to lose by lying to us.

In conclusion

This debate about the "official word" can go on for ever even to the point of saying the CSRs don't know what they are talking about and the Hotel Manager doesn't either.

With a Hotel Manager, who has nothing to gain one way or other, saying the auto tip does cover them and Princess saying it covers "those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including the wait staff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, galley staff, laundry staff and others." this must be the official word until Princess comes up with something in writing to say other wise.

It does look like the Official word is that they are covered and it is up to the individual cruiser to decide if he wants to give an extra gratuity for room service just like they make this personal decision in the specialty restaurants, dining room, and for their room steward.

How many people depending on a tip would say

The last day though the guy was in such a hurry I said "wait" and he said "it's ok. bye."

It is my opinion that when "new" posters ask about tipping for room service they should not be told that they are expected to tip extra because the automatic gratuity does not cover the room service or specialty restaurant. Yes, there is a place to add a gratuity onto many of the tags one signs for but that does not mean it is not for an extra gratuity should someone want to leave one. Wouldn't it be better to say, like many do say, that "we give extra because...." rather than to say room service tips are not included.

We have never found that "Big tippers always get better service". The service on Princess has always been good to excellent no matter how large or small the tip, or if a tip given or when it was given - at the beginning of the cruise or at the end. I think many people are deluding themselves that by handing the $20 bill to the head waiter for a table or to the room steward to bring extra hangers or towels that in return the table or good service they received was because of this "tip".

As my first post said "This thread is not intended to debate if one should give the server a "tip" when they deliver, if they are under paid, or if they deserve more.."

Unless some one else has an "official word" they want to add I think this thread is closed.

We have and always will tip for excellent service. Those that make the effort to go above and beyond what is expected rightfully deserve to be rewarded!

Lied to or not, Toto is absolutely right. Big tippers always get better service, especially if you are a repeating customer, like room service everyday. Although I'm not happy about it, I have come to accept the daily tip charge as simply an increase in the cruise price like tax or port charges; when mandatory, T.I.P. looses its meaning. So if the service is good, or you would like To Insure that it stays that way, tip extra!

Most mornings, I put the card on the door filled out for cereal, oj, and coffee. Maybe a croissant, also. The server knocks on my door, brings a tray in and sits it on a table and leaves. I wouldn't consider that good service or bad service, just something that Princess provides, so i seldom tip. On the other hand, we almost always give our steward a generous tip at the end of the cruise, because I see how hard he works and I feel he deserves it. Or when we buy something extra like a drink, a tip is already taken out. So, what i am saying is I tip as an appreciation of something I have received or if it is mandatory. I don't tip for something that is just basic.

This is so confusing for Brits, and ever so slightly hilarious. In Britland, folk are paid properly, and also receive state benefits if on a low wage, which increases if they have kids. Minimum wage is about £6 an hour (about 4 cents nowadays lol, sorry, about $12).

Bloke gets paid to walk down a corridor to bring you a cup of tea. Bloke brings cup of tea (lukewarm, but hey its a long way from the kettle). Happyscot says "thank you, lovely morning". Drinks tea.

Bloke brings cup of tea, pauses briefly to save child from drowning, repaints corridor on way in my favourite colour, tells me Scotland will win the World Cup (competition for proper sport). GETS TIP. Happyscot says "thank you, lovely morning, iron my socks would you".

Why do you spend so long worrying about this? Pay them. Period. End of. Enjoy your holiday. They don't deserve a tip for bringing you a cup of tea for God's sake. But if you want to, as I sometimes do if they are nice (really nice, not give me a tip nice) then go ahead, but don't present it as some criteria for civilisation.

Hey, Scotland is in the World Curling semis. (Do you do semis? Last four). Curling is a sport you colonials and us share. Good fun.

Hic.

xxx

Enough on tipping, already. We will never all agree on this one, will we?

The more important thing is that Canada finished at the top of the standings in the World Curling Championships -- we "colonials" have learned well from the masters!;) On to the finals and may the best team win!

Happyscot, that was funny. Thanks for posting.

As for me, I don't care if it's 'official' or not, I don't care if it's allegedly covered in the auto-tips, and I don't care if it's appropriate or not to tip where I live...

When you see how hard the crew works, I happily give them a few bucks on the rare occasion that I order room service. If I ordered every day (for breakfast, maybe), then I'd have a few bucks ready to tip them when they showed up with my order (or add it to the charge slip, whatever).

Think about how much the cruise is costing you, overall. Is another $20 or so over a week's time going to make a huge difference to YOUR bottom line? I would bet that it's more impactful to your server than it is to you.

T

According to http://www.cruiselinejobs.com, tipping personnel, waiters, bartenders, busboys, earn anywhere between US$1,000 to US$4,000, but non-tipping personnel, applicants who do not have enough experience or do not have a very good command of English usually earn from US$350 to US$500 per week.

http://www.antiguasun.com/paper/?as=view&sun=120209089511142006&an=272155079611142006&ac=Local

$4,000 a week eq $16,000 a month or $96,000 (6 month contract)

$3,000 a week eq $12,000 a month or $72,000 (6 month contract)

$2,000 a week eq $ 8,000 a month or $48,000 (6 month contract)

$1,000 a week eq $ 4,000 a month or $24,000 (6 month contract)

For discussions sake let's split the difference and say 6 months work, 6 months off.

That's $2,500 a week or $10,000 a month for waiters and bus boys with low or no taxes. Hard work for six months with six months vacation.

Don't cry for me Argentina - Evita 1978

[quote name='w0kie'][B]According to [URL="http://www.cruiselinejobs.com"]www.cruiselinejobs.com[/URL], tipping personnel, waiters, bartenders, busboys, earn anywhere between US$1,000 to US$4,000,[/B] but non-tipping personnel, applicants who do not have enough experience or do not have a very good command of English usually earn from US$350 to US$500 [B]per week[/B].

[URL]http://www.antiguasun.com/paper/?as=view&sun=120209089511142006&an=272155079611142006&ac=Local[/URL]

$4,000 a week eq $16,000 a month or $96,000 (6 month contract)
$3,000 a week eq $12,000 a month or $72,000 (6 month contract)
$2,000 a week eq $ 8,000 a month or $48,000 (6 month contract)
$1,000 a week eq $ 4,000 a month or $24,000 (6 month contract)

For discussions sake let's split the difference and say 6 months work, 6 months off.

That's $2,500 a week or $10,000 a month for waiters and bus boys with low or no taxes. Hard work for six months with six months vacation.

[I]Don't cry for me Argentina - Evita 1978[/I][/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I think that is $4000 per month not per week.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Ron[/SIZE][/FONT]

A waiter or cabin steward gets a base pay of about $90 - $100 per month. A room steward has 18 cabins X 2 pax = 36 pax. IF he gets $3 from each pax on his autotip he would get $108 per day or about $1240 per month working 24/7. This does not equate to $4000 per week.

A waiter usually has 4 tables or about 20 - 24 pax. His autotip is shared with some of the folks in the kitchen, so he may only get about $2.50 per pax in tips which amounts to about $1800 per month plus his base of $90 - $100. THis is also far from $4000 per week.

The cruise director (no tips) can make up to $7000 per month. This does not eqaute to $4000 per week either.

I doubt if the Captain makes $4000 - $5000 per week.

REF: [url]http://www.cruiselinesjobs.com/eng/wages/[/url]

Ron

[quote name='coiran']A waiter or cabin steward gets a base pay of about $90 - $100 per month. A room steward has 18 cabins X 2 pax = 36 pax. IF he gets $3 from each pax on his autotip he would get $108 per day or about $1240 per month working 24/7. This does not equate to $4000 per week[URL="http://Ron"]Ron[/URL][/quote]

In February, our steward said in casual conversation said that he had 7 cabins assigned to him. We were on Caribe deck on The Golden.:confused:

Mike:)

[quote name='bhopal21']In February, our steward said in casual conversation said that he had 7 cabins assigned to him. We were on Caribe deck on The Golden.:confused:

Mike:)[/quote]

Were they suites?

Ron

It could be 18 cabins per steward and assuming the steward gets $3 of the $10 with 2 per cabin. That's $108 shipboard tips per day or $756 per week or say $3,000 tips per month. Assume he or she works 9 months out the year their tips should be around $27,000 a year. If you gross that up for the steward being in a possible non tax situation you could add say 15% Federal tax, 5% state tax and 7.65% FICA or a 27.65% tax adjustment. Assuming the salary is zero which I don't think is true, the stewards tips amount to about $37,500 pre tax with three months off and free room and board. I'm betting a good steward can make about $40,000 pretax equivalent a year. Three months off offsets long hours during the nine months of work. This is about what a teacher makes here in Oklahoma. Let the record reflect I've always been a very liberal tipper but not (yet) for room service. I've always considered room service to be included in the daily shipboard account tip charges.

[quote name='w0kie']It could be 18 cabins per steward and assuming the steward gets $3 of the $10 with 2 per cabin. That's $108 shipboard tips per day or $756 per week or say $3,000 tips per month. Assume he or she works 9 months out the year their tips should be around $27,000 a year. If you gross that up for the steward being in a possible non tax situation you could add say 15% Federal tax, 5% state tax and 7.65% FICA or a 27.65% tax adjustment. Assuming the salary is zero which I don't think is true, the stewards tips amount to about $37,500 pre tax with three months off and free room and board. I'm betting a good steward can make about $40,000 pretax equivalent a year. Three months off offsets long hours during the nine months of work. This is about what a teacher makes here in Oklahoma. Let the record reflect I've always been a very liberal tipper but not (yet) for room service. I've always considered room service to be included in the daily shipboard account tip charges.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]That could be true - IF - everyone leaves the auto tip on and some tip extra. However, you would be surprised at the number of pax that line up at the PSD the first day to have the autotips removed. I have heard some real stories from stewards and waiters on this subject.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]We spoke with an African stewardess that had a degree and taught english in her country. She said she could make more teaching, but she can save more as a cabin stewardess.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Ron[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='coiran'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]We spoke with an African stewardess that had a degree and taught english in her country. She said she could make more teaching, but she can save more as a cabin stewardess.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote] We frequently hear from wait staff that they make so much more working on cruise ships just because they can save more. They tell us no cell phone, car, gas or other expenses means more in their pockets each month. But....we also heard in December because of the falling value of the USD that wages in their country are starting to look better and more of them are considering working "at home" where they can be with their family.

[quote name='bhopal21']Yes they were Ron. What difference would that make?

Mike:)[/quote]

Suites take longer to clean as they are twice as large or larger than a standard double. The trouble is (and this came from a steward on a cruise a while back) passengers in suites normally will not leave an extra tip and often remove the autotip.

Ron

Archived