TA Commission that Carnival Pays

CanTex

What is the commission that Carnival provides to their travel agents?

While doing research for upcoming cruise(s) we're planning for this fall, one of the travel agents I was talking to told me their pricing is based on reimbursing to the customer 85% of the commission that Carnival pays them on the commissionable portion of the fare (i.e. excluding taxes, fees and surcharges). In other words, they claim to be keeping only 15% of what Carnival pays them.

If I do the math based on my quote vs. the base pricing I see on-line on Carnival's website, it seems the commission this agency is paid is around 12% of the commissionable portion. Does that sound about right for a large on-line agency? I'm sure this varies by type of agency and volume of business that they have with Carnival.

While doing research for upcoming cruise(s) we're planning for this fall, one of the travel agents I was talking to told me their pricing is based on reimbursing to the customer 85% of the commission that Carnival pays them on the commissionable portion of the fare (i.e. excluding taxes, fees and surcharges). In other words, they claim to be keeping only 15% of what Carnival pays them.

If I do the math based on my quote vs. the base pricing I see on-line on Carnival's website, it seems the commission this agency is paid is around 12% of the commissionable portion. Does that sound about right for a large on-line agency? I'm sure this varies by type of agency and volume of business that they have with Carnival.

10-15% sounds right, Im sure an agent will come on with a more accurate figure.

Actually the biggest item is not the add ons, its the port charges which are included in the price you see on the Carnival site. i.e. for instance on a inside cabin priced at $500 for the 7 days, 3 ports will run you close to $160, so they would get commission on $340 of the price you see posted on the carnival website....the non commisable part of the price is mostly the port chages. The commissionable part of the price of course doesnt include the add-ons either.

Here are some examples from a TA who gives you back 10% of the commissionable part. Ectasy 5 day, price was $269, we got back $15 per person or $30 for both of us. Conquest $449, 7 day we got back I believe $26 per person or $52? might have been $54? for both of us.

Mind you this is 10% of the commissiable part of the fare as I said above, not of the commisions themselves as you mentioned, just showing its not as much money as you think.

I really don't think it's anyone's business what money people make. Why do people have to know how much the cruise staff, pvp's and travel agents make? Perhaps the company should know your income before you can book a cruise with them!!

I really don't think it's anyone's business what money people make. Why do people have to know how much the cruise staff, pvp's and travel agents make? Perhaps the company should know your income before you can book a cruise with them!!

The OP said the TA told them they would reimburse them 85% of the commission from the cruise fare if they booked, so Im guessing they were trying to estimate how much of a discount that would be?

How much discount should not be the issue with a purchaser.... it's the bottom line what they are going to pay and are satisfied with paying !

I agree that how much commission a TA makes is really a rude inquiry.

why would a TA tell a client that they will reimburse 85% of the commission?? That tells the client how much they make if the client knows what they got off the rate on the Carnival site.

Travel Agencies make anywhere between 10-16% commission on the base rate of the cruise.

Having said that, without being a travel agent, it may be a bit difficult to know exactly what the commissionable portion is.

The pricing that you see online includes some non-commissionable fare.

How much discount should not be the issue with a purchaser.... it's the bottom line what they are going to pay and are satisfied with paying !

I agree that how much commission a TA makes is really a rude inquiry.

I agree...and I'm not a travel agent, although I *do* use a travel agent often. The same travel agent I've used for over 10 years. Her only "gift" to me has been exceptional pricing and quality service.

I won't ask her income if she doesn't ask mine!

A TA does not make that much to begin with... like $80 for two $600 pax in one cabin. If they gave back 85% of that, then the TA would only be making $12. It would be pretty hard to run a business on $12 a booking.

Sorry... doesn't sound like it holds water.

My TA I was using her real job was in a National Forest or some such and she just booked friends and friends of friends, enough to get a discount on her own cruises. some do it out of their home as a hobby to get their own cruises cheaper. I think some on that compete site are home based.

A TA does not make that much to begin with... like $80 for two $600 pax in one cabin. If they gave back 85% of that, then the TA would only be making $12. It would be pretty hard to run a business on $12 a booking.

I agree.

How will the customer accurately know what the TA commission is?

I don't think I would buy a used car from the TA. :rolleyes:

why would a TA tell a client that they will reimburse 85% of the commission?? That tells the client how much they make if the client knows what they got off the rate on the Carnival site.

Regardless of what the TA claims to be doing or offering in the form of a commision rebate passed on as a discount to client is still not the issue here....the OP should shop around and find the TA that can provided them a total package that they are willing to pay, but before purchasing from the TA, should check out any cancellation/change fees they may require, willingness to lower fares or get some type of OBC if applicable to their sailing, knowledge of the cruise industry, eagerness to help plan the purrrrrrfect cruise or land vacation package, and be accesible via phone or email fairly easily. LOWEST PRICE should not always be the determining factor when choosing a travel agent.

Regardless of what the TA claims to be doing or offering in the form of a commision rebate passed on as a discount to client is still not the issue here....the OP should shop around and find the TA that can provided them a total package that they are willing to pay, but before purchasing from the TA, should check out any cancellation/change fees they may require, willingness to lower fares or get some type of OBC if applicable to their sailing, knowledge of the cruise industry, eagerness to help plan the purrrrrrfect cruise or land vacation package, and be accesible via phone or email fairly easily. LOWEST PRICE should not always be the determining factor when choosing a travel agent.

I dont think I or anyone said differently. As I said about my TA I used LAST YEAR, she was part time. It took her 3 days sometimes to get back to me which at times was unacceptable, so I now use someone else despite how much I liked her and that she would go beyond the call. If the price drops, I dont want to wait in suspense 3 days.

When I was a travel agent, we never made more than 15% off the total cruise. When you think about it, it's really not that much.

But you also have to take into account that you're not the only piece of business that agency is booking. I think in the next few years unless you are a HUGE travel company, travel agencies won't be around. Everyone books their stuff online. :/

Well, that's last time I'm going to share anything here. I should have known better.

I did not ask the TA their commission rate. It was a bit of information that was surprisingly offered to me when I was asking about their policies on how they handled price reductions. If you're not asking those same questions, then who's the foolish one?

Just how is that being rude on my part? Some of you just love to jump to conclusions far too easily.

The agent's comment merely prompted my curiousity about how much some of these agencies are really making and I thought the surprisingly narrow margin would of interest to people here too. I certainly didn't expect your rude comments about me in turn, including about my income.

By the way, this came from one of the best known on-line cruise travel agencies, an agency with a very good reputation and one which we've used before with great satisfaction -- not some fly-by-night operation. If I could say the name here, all of you would recognize it. And yes, they do honor prices reductions and even willing to talk after final payment. No booking, cancellation or other hidden fees.

I don't know about that. I just booked TODAY the 11/15/08 Liberty cruise and the best price I could get from carnival was $1092 for a 4A with a free upgrade to a 4c. That price was from several carnival people (PVP and 2 regular booking agents, the price was identical). I went to the compete site and received several quotes and eventually negotiated a price of $996 from a large company I have used before without any problems for the same 4C cabin. Now that $96 difference is about a 9% drop so I know damn well they are making more than that on a 7 day booking or they would not be in business. There has NEVER been a time I could not get a better price than what carnival gives you usually near or sometimes over a 10% difference. If you are booking with carnival directly you are paying more than you have to but to each his own.

Well, that's last time I'm going to share anything here. I should have known better.

I did not ask the TA their commission rate. It was a bit of information that was surprisingly offered to me when I was asking about their policies on how they handled price reductions. If you're not asking those same questions, then who's the foolish one?

Just how is that being rude on my part? Some of you just love to jump to conclusions far too easily.

The agent's comment merely prompted my curiousity about how much some of these agencies are really making and I thought the surprisingly narrow margin would of interest to people here too. I certainly didn't expect your rude comments about me in turn, including about my income.

By the way, this came from one of the best known on-line cruise travel agencies, an agency with a very good reputation and one which we've used before with great satisfaction -- not some fly-by-night operation. If I could say the name here, all of you would recognize it. And yes, they do honor prices reductions and even willing to talk after final payment. No booking, cancellation or other hidden fees.

Im sorry, a couple TAs posted and got defensive sounded like to me.

I wouldnt stop posting, I tried to swing it back to your question which was because a TA mentioned their commission, not because you were asking what they made. I got it.

Im sorry, a couple TAs posted and got defensive sounded like to me.

I wouldnt stop posting, I tried to swing it back to your question which was because a TA mentioned their commission, not because you were asking what they made. I got it.

Thanks, I appreciate your support.

.....and those are the paxs......who are ticked if the TA doesn't sent a bottle of wine to them.......;)

Archived