Vent system in cabins, Smoking?

skyrain30

I really hope I'm smoke-free in 10 years. It's difficult though.

I think a smoke-free ship from a California port might work, lots of folks now drive to their closest port and the percent of smokers in California is alot lower than most other states. It just didn't work out of Miami.

We are just home from our first cruise. We sailed on the Inspiration and LOVED it...all 6 of us!!

This was one of my 2 complaints for the week. I am a non smoker and was awakened on several nites by the smell of smoke in my room from my neighbor. I am very sensitive to smells and spent these nites very sleepless. :(

The smoke on the other decks did not bother me.

I wonder why they allow smoking in cabins but no irons...

Just my 2 cents!!

p.s. My other complaint was the internet charges that I had to pay to contact my excursions at 2 ports due to our delayed arrival due to "propulsion problems" with the ship which we were notified about upon arrival on the ship.

We will definitely sail again!!

ALL

offtopic-929432.gif

ALL

offtopic-929432.gif

I will admit that the additions to this thread has steered a little bit off track, BUT the interjections by most posting do include issues regarding smoking concerns, therefore NOT REALLY "off topic" as you felt compelled to let others know !

Here's what I see as the problem with the Paradise:

Inaugural Voyage: November 25th 1998

Carnival was way ahead of it's time to try this in 1998! They just didn't give it enough time! Lots of things change in 10 years. Lots of people who were "closet" smokers then have now quit smoking.

Try it again, Carnival...probably a very different outcome!

(Maybe they could try making any new ships "smoke free"...)

I never did get the "non-smokers didn't spend enough on drinks and gambling" part.

I smoke and gamble, but don't drink, but I don't think I'd be gambling less if I wasn't smoking...maybe I'd take up drinking, though. :p

(I'd love to take a "smoke free" cruise as a stop smoking technique!)

That is because there were other Carnival ships to pick from...if they went totally smoke free, bet there would filled boats

I will admit that the additions to this thread has steered a little bit off track, BUT the interjections by most posting do include issues regarding smoking concerns, therefore NOT REALLY "off topic" as you felt compelled to let others know !

offtopic-929432.gif

They have NOTHING to do with ventilation....

Many folks do.... I was corrected by our RCI rep a while back, and learned the hard way !!! :D

I think of them like CCL for Carnival Cruise Lines and Carnival Corp. &plc for the total company

So its RCI for Royal Carib. and X and just RCCL for Royal Caribbean Cruise Line by itself. Right or wrong, that's how I think of them.

Is that off topic??????:p

OT Dan

Market forces are amazing and as long as it will make money rest assured the cruise lines will do it.... so we will see if going smokeless ends up make revenue for them or if they end up changing midstream as they did with Paradise.

As for the thread (gotta keep it straight here) I think that a considerate non-smoker would step out in the hall and wave their hands frantically to dispel any smoke coming out of the room so as to save their spouse the from any embarrassment due to "leakage".... thus not having to worry about the smell.

On the other hand the smoker could just go up on deck.

Travel Angel, is RCI and RCCL the same company?

Fred

RCCL is the correct name. It refers to Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

RCI is Royal Caribbean International, the parent company of RCCL and Celebrity Cruises Inc.

Just as we use Carnival Cruise Lines and not Carnival Corporation, RCCL should be used, and not RCI.

It was Royal caribbean cruise line.offtopic-929432.gif

neverpar,I hope you do not mind but I borrowed your sign.

Actually, you have the name wrong. The name is Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.®

Sounds like you should be borrowing a sign from Bill Engvall... he would say... "Here's Your Sign" :D

Carnival just needs to make the ships smoke free!

I am a non-smoker and do not enjoy second hand smoke (who does?). However, to make a ship smoke free would be unfair to the smokers. Can you imagine being on a ship with out caffeine, chocolate, soda or whatever your vice happens to be? It would be pure torture for me.

The wife and I are heavy smokers. Always considerate of others, and their will to not breath smoke, the best way to vent your balcony cabin is to prop open the back door with a chair and then open the front door for a moment. The wind rips through your cabin and takes all of the smoke out doors in a matter of seconds. Even if you choose to not open your front door, the smoke will eventually go out the opened back door as air will get sucked in through the bathroom and closet vents.

I hope this answer satisfies the BB topic/semantic police. :rolleyes:

boat boat boat boat.............:D

I am a non-smoker and do not enjoy second hand smoke (who does?). However, to make a ship smoke free would be unfair to the smokers. Can you imagine being on a ship with out caffeine, chocolate, soda or whatever your vice happens to be? It would be pure torture for me.

Well it's a good thing all those things can't give you cancer just by smelling them! Whew!!:rolleyes:

They tried that with the Paradise... did not work as the revenue was not enough to keep the ship open.

One quick correction.

The Paradise NEVER lost money. I repeat, the Paradise made money. It just did not make ENOUGH money....running below the corporate MARS.

The problem was that the Paradise was difficult to fill up because all cruise lines depend on "groups" as their lifeblood....and even the smallest family reunion has at least one smoker.

So, yes the Paradise did make money (enough to keep the ship open) just not enough to make the Carnival Board happy.

It does get a little cloudy, especially with two people smoking. But we just prop open the cabin door and listen to people in the hallway whine about it. Seriously though, the ventilation is pretty good.

You are free to do that as long as you don't "whine" when Carnival follows RCCL, because smokers did not follow the rules.

We are both smokers and like to think that we are courteous about smoking. We do not smoke in our room and that is why we always book a balcony.

Not to be rude, but I hope i never get a balcony next to you. I find nothing worse than going out to get some fresh air and enhaling smoke. I don't think that smokers should be banned, i just think they shouldn't be allowed around me!

Perhaps they could make all cabins on port side non-smoking, and the other side smoking.

I was on Paradise when smoke free!!!