Sneaking food off ship

nator555

Most ports do not allow food from the ship to be taken off unless it's a prepackaged type due to the potential introduction of little "pests" that aren't native to the area.

Water is fine though. Carnival will try to sell you bottles as you are getting off the ship! :)

I have heard from friends that they order room service for sandwiches and take them in a cooler off the ship so as not to have to buy lunch when in a port. Can you not do that??????:eek: :confused:

Is it legal? Not sure... has it been done.. Of course. The problem is one of conscious. Do you think you are going to introduce some unknown substance to the area that has never been there? If that is the case do not get off.

I have heard from friends that they order room service for sandwiches and take them in a cooler off the ship so as not to have to buy lunch when in a port. Can you not do that??????:eek: :confused:

It is illegal in most ports, and while you may get away with it, you risk introducing a non-native pest to their ecosystem which could destroy their agriculture. This isn't just a petty rule- it's very real and has happened here in the U.S. as well when people have brought food items into the country. All it takes is one contaminated item and a whole crop or area could be wiped out. The main risk is fruits & vegetables but most countries also prohibit meat. My DH is a horticulture guy and could probably write you a book on it, but he has mentioned numerous times how serious this problem is.

You can take sealed pre-packaged items such as cereal, granola bars, crackers, etc. off the ship with no problem.

.... Can you not do that??????:eek: :confused:

You should NOT do that. Although I'm sure some do 'get away with it', it's not a great idea...and against MOST ports rules. I've seen many sandwiches, fruit, etc. piled up where passengers are disembarking - taken from their bags/coolers, etc.

Most of the islands do not allow food to be brought onto their land because it could possibly endanger their ecological system. All they need is something foreign to their island, and their crops could be devastated.

As visitors to these beautiful places, WE should respect their laws.

As far as taking bottled water, no problem. Also, any prepackaged snacks like crackers, cookies, chips (as long as they are sealed by the manufacturer) is ok. However, why not enjoy the new and various food that you've never tried before...? Part of traveling to me is trying local cuisine.:)

Is this allowed? I was planning to bring some bottled water on the ship with me and on our port days pack a few bottles and possibly some snacks in our bookbag to take with us. Is this a no no?

If you have to SNEAK it.....doesn't that answer your question?

As I said above... If you WORRIED about taking something off the ship DON"T GET OFF. What - you think that when you had breakfast that nothing got on your clothes/in your hair/on the bottom of your shoes.

I understand the law, but really, do you think stopping a sandwich is better than stopping YOU? If ports were that serious about contamination it would not allow a ship to dock.

As I said above... If you WORRIED about taking something off the ship DON"T GET OFF. What - you think that when you had breakfast that nothing got on your clothes/in your hair/on the bottom of your shoes.

I understand the law, but really, do you think stopping a sandwich is better than stopping YOU? If ports were that serious about contamination it would not allow a ship to dock.

If it's good to eat on the ship,it's good to eat anywhere,apples and a lot of fruits don't grow in warm climates,it's imported, so pack your picnic basket and don't worry about it,they want you to spend money on the islands,that's the only reason for not taking food and water off the ships.

If it's good to eat on the ship,it's good to eat anywhere,apples and a lot of fruits don't grow in warm climates,it's imported, so pack your picnic basket and don't worry about it,they want you to spend money on the islands,that's the only reason for not taking food and water off the ships.

Gee would that be the reason that you are not allowed to bring back cocunuts from hawaii to the mainland states. They want you to buy cocunuts here. Get real. I don't think so. Or is that the reason you can't cross from nevada into california with fresh fruits or plants. Because they want you to buy them in California. Don't think so.

If it's good to eat on the ship,it's good to eat anywhere,apples and a lot of fruits don't grow in warm climates,

That is one the problems, introducing non-native pests that don't have natural predators. :rolleyes:

Gee would that be the reason that you are not allowed to bring back cocunuts from hawaii to the mainland states. They want you to buy cocunuts here. Get real. I don't think so. Or is that the reason you can't cross from nevada into california with fresh fruits or plants. Because they want you to buy them in California. Don't think so.

Why? Do they make you COCOcrazy for cocopuffs?

Do you really think they stop fruits and plants from Calif. to Nevada? How many people do you think move with all their belonging from one state to the other?

That is one the problems, introducing non-native pests that don't have natural predators. :rolleyes:
The Europeans including Columbus did the worst already bringing in deadly diseases to the natives all over the world, wiping out whole civilizations,what can be worst?Get real people..

This has nothing to do with food, but, has anyone experienced the wonderful FIRE ANTS that were introduced to the US? They overrun everything here in the south and there is no natural predators except high price chemicals that do not kill them, just chase them off your property and into the neighbors.

Gosh, I'm glad that everyone doesn't share that attitude!

The US has similar laws. But, by your logic, if they were really serious about it they just wouldn't let anyone in....or out for that matter. There is a real reason for the regulations.

If you really believe that it is merely to make money ashore, there is nothing that anyone can say to change your mind. Just like no one is going to convince me that Elvis is dead. I know he's living in a retirement home in Ocala.:rolleyes:

You can take water off the ship. It's cheaper to buy a bottle ashore though.

Charlie

Sounds like you and Bobsfamily are just trying to rationalize what you are going to do anyway. Doesn't make it right. All I can say is that it would be fitting if you were caught and hit with a big fine. You could certainly try your reasoning on the local officials, although I doubt that it would work. After you paid the fine, you'd probably just rationalize it as them wanting to get more of your money (rather than enforcing a law that is there for good reason).

Sounds like you and Bobsfamily are just trying to rationalize what you are going to do anyway. Doesn't make it right. All I can say is that it would be fitting if you were caught and hit with a big fine. You could certainly try your reasoning on the local officials, although I doubt that it would work. After you paid the fine, you'd probably just rationalize it as them wanting to get more of your money (rather than enforcing a law that is there for good reason).

Did I once say anything about taking food off being right? I think I made it clear that it was likely to be illegal. My comment is the absurdity of it all. You can't REALLY think that stopping someone from removing food from a SHIP that has docked with stuff on the bottom from every port... trash that has to be removed.. lines that connect it to the pier... AND thousands of people getting off with every kind of bacteria/disease/particles of food known to mankind is going to do anything to stop the transfer of some microbe that is harmful to the port. That is what makes such as rule absurd. As are the laws in the United States between states.

This has nothing to do with food, but, has anyone experienced the wonderful FIRE ANTS that were introduced to the US? They overrun everything here in the south and there is no natural predators except high price chemicals that do not kill them, just chase them off your property and into the neighbors.
Did you ever think that the chemical companies brought it in to sell their products,along with other pests,have you ever seen love bugs here in Florida?It was invented by The University of Centrla Florida to control mosquitos,the rest is history,do some research on it,our government is the biggest screw up.

Did I once say anything about taking food off being right? I think I made it clear that it was likely to be illegal. My comment is the absurdity of it all. You can't REALLY think that stopping someone from removing food from a SHIP that has docked with stuff on the bottom from every port... trash that has to be removed.. lines that connect it to the pier... AND thousands of people getting off with every kind of bacteria/disease/particles of food known to mankind is going to do anything to stop the transfer of some microbe that is harmful to the port. That is what makes such as rule absurd. As are the laws in the United States between states.
In our area there are regulations prohibiting the transport of firewood between counties. Reason being to prevent/delay the spread of Dutch Elm Disease. Yes, it works.

Charlie

I didn't realize until I read this post that you COULDN'T take food off the ship. We have always taken sandwiches with us into ports. I can't imagine we have destroyed Bermuda, the Bahama's and most of Mexico with contaminants from the turkey and bread we brought over. Of course, if that is the law, we won't do so ever again.

Archived