First timer snorkling questions

opusodie

I really want to try snorkling this cruise but have a few questions about it.

I cannot see with out my glasses and wonder if the masks the provide you with can go over glasses, or if they have special magnifiying type ones to use.

Is their any age or weight limits ?

Which prot in the texribbian cruise would be the best one to try?

I appriciate any help you can give me

Opusodie

I cannot see with out my glasses and wonder if the masks the provide you with can go over glasses, or if they have special magnifiying type ones to use.

Opusodie

You normally can't wear your glasses under a snorkle mask as it won't seal properly. However water does magnify so even if you are quite near sighted you should see ok. They do have special magnifying masks but most boats don't necessarily carry them some do.

No weight limits no age limits that I know about. You do need to be able to swim...as to ports on the Sea you have to ask someone else..

Opus - I have very bad vision and thick lenses (very bad astigmistism) and I have found that a good snorkel mask actually helps me see under the water. I am headed out to the local pool shop (best place here to find good masks & tubes) to buy a set soon. Sailing Thanksgiving week. Have several newbie friends going on this cruise who snorkeled in Hawaii this last spring and the husband actually had a mask made for his bad vision. He loves it and plans on taking it with him on the cruise. Also, I am a bit heavy set and found that snorkeling was great for someone of my size. The water helped me float and it was a great experience. I could wander out as far as I felt comfortable. My husband would take me a little further but he's a much better swimmer. Also, don't forget the extra sun tan lotion and the back and tops of your ears and the back of your neck. Hope you have fun. Snorkeling is one of my all time favorite things and I hope you find this to be true too. Practice at home at a local pool, maybe take a lesson or two, and you will save lots of start up time once you are on the exotic beach. Good luck and have fun!!:)

I also have extremely bad eyesight. I went to a dive shop and got my mask with lenses that I could see out of. The lenses are in little separate boxes and you do one eye at a time until you get a pair that work. The dive shop will put these into a mask for you. It is expensive, but well worth it if you plan on snorkeling more. A new mask with or without the special lenses have a coating on them, you will need to use Softscrub Non-Clorinated cleanser to clean the film off, just use your fingers and also get around the edges between the mask and lenses, rinse extremely well. I also work for a company in Florida that does dive and snorkel trips, most small businesses can not afford to provide special masks. I know ours doesn't. Some of our customers have gone to Walmart to get masks that magnify. Hope this helps.

Linda

Opusodie

I can't advise you about the glasses as I wear my contacts, but there is no weight or age limit. I love snorkeling and would recommend you snorkel in Roatan. I have tried, St Thomas, Roatan, Hawaii, Aruba, St Crux, St. John's and Cozumel: Roatan is the best. Take the Tabyana beach trip, you can snorkel right off the shore in water no higher than your shoulders. Normally I wouldn't recommend the ship's excursion, but this time, for a first timer you can't go wrong. Have a blast!!!! NMNita

Another suggestion (if you don't want to invest in a prescription mask before you are sure you really like snorkeling) is to unscrew your glasses at the joints and wear the front portion of your glasses underneath your mask. This can work very well with certain types of frames, not so well with others. If yours are small enough to fit entirely inside the seal of the mask and sit pretty well on the bridge of your nose, it just might work:D .

You can not wear regular glasses underneath a mask, as the "temples" or "arms" reaching back to your ears would compromise the seal and allow water to get inside your mask.

As others have said, the water does magnify, however if you require a strong correction it is highly possible that it will not be enough. I would suggest a backup plan so that you can really enjoy yourself and see all the wonderful reef life.

No weight or age restrictions. Do heed Cindy's advice regarding the sunscreen. I sometimes even have to wear a T-shirt over my suit, as I am out in the water so long. You can get a VERY serious burn while snorkeling.

I think you will really enjoy snorkeling:) .

I have astigmatism and still see fairly well. Some operators have masks with presciptions that may help out at no additional cost. If you think you will go more than once or twice you may consider getting presciption lenses from a dive shop.

The size issue is not a big deal unless you go off of a boat. You will need to climb up a ladder which can be a little bit of a challenge. I enjoy snorkeling in Aruba, Grand Caymen. Cozumel, Martinique, and Hawaii. In the Caribbean you can usually find decent enough snorkeling. I was not impressed with Jamaica last time I was there.

Thank you everyone that replyed. I'm not sailing till January 22 on the Sea so will go to my local YMCA and prictice. I haven't swam for years so I might need a refresher course. This is my 5th cruise and finally am getting the courage to try someting out of my comfort zone. Thank you again

Opusodie

You won't regret trying to snorkel. Cozumel has a great area to snorkel at Chankanaub park. Your best bet as far as the mask goes is to see if your local dive shops rent snorkel equipment. If you are lucky they will rent special masks too. I'm sure once you get back you will be ordering your own mask! It's so beautiful underwater.

I tried snorkeling on the last two cruises to the Caribbean and totally love it. The first time, I was afraid to wear my contacts and that was a bad experience--couldn't see anything. The next time, I wore my contacts and that was great. I have friends that got prescription masks, but they are expensive. Maybe something to do if you find you really like doing it and will be doing it again in the future.

The hardest thing for me was getting a mask that fit properly and didn't leak. I had a lot of problems with that. I'm going to Hawaii in March. In researching excursions, I have seen companies that advertise that they have prescription masks, so you might want to check that out with whatever company you choose.

I went to a dive shop and bought a mask that fits tightly and also bought an Aqua Lung dry snorkel. It has a valve at the top so you can dive farther underwater, but the snorkel doesn't allow any water to come in. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I'm taking it to the YMCA to test it out.

I'm heavyset and had no problems. As long as you can climb down about a 5-rung ladder and back up, you're all set. So practice your swimming and you're all set!

I have very bad astigmatism too. I can't see my hand in front of my face clearly but the mask & the water do magnify so I can see better underwater when snorkeling than out of the water. I've never worn my contacts snorkeling or my glasses. I do ask my companions to wear their brightest, loudest bathing suits, red works well. I swim w/ my friends for a few minutes until I get comfortable & always try to keep them in sight (well OK I see a fuzzy red blob, but it's something).

BTW, when you snorkel you should always wear a vest. That will help to keep you safe. Good idea to practice at home. Enjoy.

Your nose is completely covered by the mask and should not come in contact with the water while snorkeling. Water can leak into a mask if you have a poor fit or a poor seal for some other reason, but in that case, you should choose another mask. I recommend that you buy one (we got a great snorkel set including dry snorkel at costco) and check to make sure you have a good seal before you go out. If you use the rental masks (which are also a great option), let the instructor/tour leader know that you need help getting a good fit. You only breathe through your mouth while snorkeling.

I went snorkeling for the first time on our last stop in Cozumel. I have VERY bad eyesight but I just wore my contacts under the mask. I did take an extra pair with me just in case but I didn't have any problems. I definitely recommend having a snorkel vest. I can't swim a stroke, not even dog paddle but the water in Cozumel was salty that along with the vest, I didn't even have to worry about trying to float. It was effortless. It took me a little while to figure out how to breathe through my mouth instead of my nose but it was definitely worth it! Now I was so out of my comfort zone at our first stop but by the second stop, I was loving it!

Julie

I used to use a perscription mask, but contacts are the best for overall straight forward and peripheral vision IMO. If you can use contacts, do it (they're not that expensive anymore, and it's well worth it considering the number of times you might get to do this).

As for mask selection, buy your own and bring it with you (along with your own snorkel). Go to a local dive shop and have them fit you with what works best for your face. I've got a fatter face than most others, so my mask wouldn't seal right for thinner people, and their mask won't seal right for me. The dive expert will show you how to determine which mask fits best for your face shape, in order to avoid annoying leaks.

If you have a mustach (guys) try a touch of vasaline over your mustach to close the seal.

Regarding vests, every tour operator I've ever been on in the Carribean or Hawaii had them available. Most required you to wear them (the infalatable snorkel type, but you don't have to inflate them if your comfortable without doing so). Otherwise, you can pick up your own and bring it with. If you need one, that would come in handy if your going it on your own and not through a tour.

In the Carribean, I liked Cozumel best. Roaton was very good, Belize was good, too. However, which one you like best may differ from others depending upon which area you happen to go to, and the weather conditions preceding your stop (affecting visibility).

Have fun!

for those of you who bring their own snorkel mask/snorkel, do you use a vest? Bring your own or rent one?

We bring our own mask, snorkel & fins but rent the vest. I don't want my mouth on something that's been in somebody else's mouth when I am not certain about the sanitizing process. :eek: If space is an issue, you can leave the fins home too & rent them as long as you're not squimish about putting your bare feet where other's bare feet have been.

Trish, I'm with you. I'm bringing my own snorkel equipment. I work at a national park here in Florida that does snorkel trips. We have a huge tub on the dock with bleach in it, I don't know how many times I've heard the captain and mate tell the visitors to put all the equipment, including the vest, in it before turning it in and then I've watched most of the people walk right by it. It's disgusting.

Linda

I would strongly suggest you have your own snorkel. The contacts are great if you can wear them. If you are not a confident swimmer/floater then a vest is a great idea. Chankanaub park has very good walk out snorkeling. If you go to Grand Caymen Sting Ray City if a blast - (note you will not be able to use fins and have to jump into probably 6 feet of water. You stand on a sand bar and feed the stingrays - I think Captain Ron's :D excursions usually have 1 stop to actually snorkel but since it is on the windward side the snorkeling is just okay.

Hi!

I have attached a few URLs that detail a couple products and

a few FAQ's.

Be assured that the "SCUBA" board is the best resource. This is

a serious issue. I grew up in the Caribbean and Key West. Colorado

is my home but Dad was employed there.

Whatever: The CO2 vets is not that expensive. It will save your

life. Ok the tour operators do not use them as they are a hassle to

keep up for all the use they recieve (yeah, sure). If you believe you can orally infalte a vest in a an emergency, well I doubt that.

I have used "Stormy Seas" for years, my wife does so as well. It

is a must for sailboating activity. They even have a model that will

inflate if you fall in the water.

The other benefit is noted in the URL's is that "Rescue" personnel

wear these. As in your snorkeling partner sees you struggling, they swim to you and then pop the CO2 as they pull you up.

The real issue is folks with "special needs" old, disabled, lousey swimmer?

I am now older and disabled and I still get in the water.

a nice quoted piece on the vests:

The snorkeler can orally inflate and deflate the volume of air in the vest to their requirements. Add just a little air to use it as a "pillow" under your chest to help hold your head and snorkel above water. Fully inflate in stressful situations to relax and rest. Deflate by yourself to return to surface diving activities. Fits comfortably over the snorkelers head and secures firmly to the body with two adjustable straps. Equipped with emergency CO� inflation cartridge system. A quick tug of the cord and poof the vest is instantly inflated. Used only in emergency situations

servious discussion of vests

http://www.funincayman.com/wwwboard/messages/292.html

Vendors: and FAQ's

http://www.stormyseas.com/vests.html

http://www.stormyseas.com/faqs.html

http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.jsp?servletPath=/g2m/action/GoBPage/id/75824F/hiLiteSku/75829/categoryId/12137

a less expensive style $49 on sale

http://www.snorkelcity.com/snorcitsnorv.html

PS

Practice and get a couple extra CO2 carts and "pop" a few it is fun.

Archived