Dubrovnik

MJ123

We tendered into the old city. At the end of the day, there were no tenders, and we didn't see the ship. Yikes!! The seas had gotten rough, and the ship had moved. Oceania provided buses to the dock.

Does Oceania provide a free shuttle to get to the old walled city? If not, any options other than joining the shore excursion?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

When we visited Dubrovnik with Celebrity in 2003, they docked north of the old city and provided a free shuttle...

BUT, when we visited on the Oceania Nautica in 2006, they did NOT dock...rather they anchored just outside the old harbor and tendered us in, landing right by the harbor gate to the walled city...

Having been there before, we considered just wandering on our own...especially since the limited excursions offered for pre-booking on the website were all simple city tours or included a visit to Cavtat (which we had been to and thought worthless) ...But, when we boarded the ship, we were given an updated excursion list...and were delighted to find a fifth option beyond the four on the website...

(Quoting from the page--I keep these on file!): >>DBV-E "Historic Dubrovnik and Village Life" - NEW TOUR *very limited - 5 hours, $79 Scenic Drive to Konavle Valley (45m) visit village home & enjoy lunch and entertainment (1h30m) Drive to Dubrovnik (45m) orientation tour of Dubrovnik beginning from Pila Gate (45m) free time at the Old Town (1h) Drive back to the ship (15m) Note: 1h walking throughout the tour<<

We decided to try this one...Figured it might be a little different...

Anyway, first and obviously, the description was not entirely accurate (couldn't exactly drive back to the ship and didn't make sense to eat lunch that early)...

Here's what happened: First, they tendered us (a fairly small group) to the Old City Harbor Gate where we were met by our guide--who then gave us an excellent walking tour of the old city. After the tour, we were given a meeting place and time leaving us one hour of free time--in which we were able to walk the city walls half way around on the "sea" side then make a short visit to the Synagogue...We then met back up with the group and were taken to our bus and off toward Konavle...with a stop for photos at the incredible viewpoint above the city (If you do Dubrovnik on your own, you may want to consider hiring a taxi to take you here)...In the Konavle Valley, we were taken to a winery/farm, given local wine to sample and then brough inside for a really great lunch of cheese, sausage, cold cuts, bread, olives, etc. Lots of food...and great entertainment by singers/musicians...A really great time was had by all...We then got the bus back to the Pila gate and a walk through town back to the tenders...I think if we return to Dubrovnik, I will likely do this again if offered...

BruinSteve: Just curious, since you have a bear in your icon, were you SteveBear before? I used to enjoy the very nice reports written by SteveBear, or is it a coincidence? Thank you.

Nope. Always Bruin Steve. Since the inception of the internet. That's NOT a "bear" in my icon...it's a BRUIN...Specifically a UCLA Bruin. A "bear" would be something different. Sorry.

We walked from town to the old, walled city, about a mile or two, taxis were hard to find.

My favorite thing in Dubrovnik- I had read an article in the NY times about a 'secret' restaurant. To find it, you walk around the edge of the old city. about 3/4 of the way out on the east wall there is a hole, about 4' high. Above it there is a small, hand-painted sign that says 'cold drinks'. If you go through the hole you find yourself on the cliff overlooking the sea, and there is a small outdoor bar/restaurant there, clinging to the side of the cliff, with the most gorgeous view you can imagine. this has been a couple of years ago, so I don't know if it is still secret.

It was over 100 degrees last year and we walked the whole wall, came down near the cliff beach/tender side. The Nautica docked. We took the excursion from the ship but abandoned it once inside the wall so we could see the synagogue. We found a small place to have lunch hidden away - but not the secret spot above. We walked throughout the walled city and left after a nice gelato right near the entrance at the Pila (I think) entrance. Cabs were hard to get but they have taxi stops just down the block from the gate and it was reasonable to take. I would go back in a minute

(Hey, Bruin Steve - I lived next door to Coach Wooden for many years in Encino - and I too am a Bruin)

On our stop in Dubrovnik on Oceania we docked near the new suspension bridge. We took a taxi into town (They drop you just outside the old town gate.) They accept either dollars, euros or the local currency. We walked half the wall (that was enough) and then walked around town. Once inside the gate there are ATMs if you want local currency. Go a little into the main street to find them. There are exchange places at the gate but if you go 500 feet there are ATMs which are easy to use. We got some local currency for lunch, cokes,etc.

When you exit the old gate thare are taxi's back to the ship. (They will ask what ship you are on) Since we had local currency left over we asked the price in local currency and luckily had enough for the fare and a nice tip so we unloaded it all on the driver. He would have also taken dollars, etc.

As I remember it the fare was about $10-15 one way last year but with the dollar falling I do not know the current cost.

Does Oceania provide a free shuttle to get to the old walled city? If not, any options other than joining the shore excursion?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,

We docked at the commercial port outside the city. We had no problem getting a taxi right beside the ship. There was no free shuttle offered by "O".

It was over 100 degrees last year and we walked the whole wall,

(Hey, Bruin Steve - I lived next door to Coach Wooden for many years in Encino - and I too am a Bruin)

Kathy, what time of year was it? If I'm on the June 17 trip will it be as hot then? Also, I have a big-wheeled rollator which I got so it can handle cobbles, but really rough terrain is hard for me. Could I walk ANY of the wall with the rollator?

(I'm a Bruin. My dad was a Trojan :p Mom's a Diablo and my DD is a ... Catamount!)

Jana

Although I am not Kathy I though I would respond. When we walked the walls there were people with canes, Canadian cruches, etc walking on the walls. They way is fairly smooth (flat stones with mortar) but the problem is getting up the stairs. If you can climb the stairs, going to the left at the top is lower and easier althought along the wall there may be an occasional two or three steps. It is possible to pass people on the stairs goign up so you can take your time. You can exit half way along the wall. There are also people selling cold drinks, etc along the wall and occasionally a place to sit and rest.

Thank you RetiredFl - not - Kathy :)

When I was on Regatta several years ago the port-intensive itinerary made movement really hard for me. I was ok on one day but ruined for the next. I used a cane and it still didn't help me much.

Last year I did a barge trip and knew I'd be walking on cobbled roads all over the place and I didn't want to miss out, so I bit the bullet, admitted that I'm old and arthritic, and got myself a rollator. I got the one with the biggest wheels so it can go on rough terrain. It literally changed my life as far as mobility goes. I can do so much more than I've been able to do for years, and I'm so happy that I got the device.

It's kind of a pain to maneuver and I am not too thrilled with this particular brand. It doesn't snap shut when in the folded position, meaning I have to mess with little bungees etc. The biggest problem I had was folding it to go up and down the stairs in Paris's metro, and getting it through the turnstile, even in the folded state, was a trial. So... I imagine that I can carry it up the steps if I go slowly, but it's really not an enjoyable endeavor.

Thanks so very much for the info!!!

Jana

Archived