Does Size Really Matter??

Does Size Really Matter?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Does Size Really Matter?

• Bigger is Always Better!
    • It's Not the Size of The Ship~ It's the Motion of the Ocean!
    • Size has Nothing To Do With It.
    • It's What Ship You Are On But Who You Are With!!

We first went on Sovereign and it was perfect for a 3-4 day. We did a 7 day on Empress of the Sea and by Day 5, I thought I was having cabin fever. It was just too small for a 7 day. Admittedly, it might have been because it was an older ship.

Then we went on Mariner and have enjoyed her 5 times. Loved the bigger ship with more amenities. In 3 weeks we are on the Liberty and are impressed with the on board stuff. The crowd sort of make it for us. My DW and I are both in people intensive jobs, so being able to hide in a crowd is a wonderful thing.

You have explained this very well. The smaller ships are perfect for the short itineraries. The larger ones are better for longer cruises.;)

I'm not a fan of anything larger than the Radiance class. I didn't like the layout of Mariner or Liberty, just loathed the Royal Promenade for the way it split up Bolero's, messed up the Schooner Bar and confined the Champagne Bar to a little corner with a view of lifeboat covers (guess where I spend my time?)

It's only because we know you so well ron, but we luv ya. I wanted to post before James because I have no idea what he will have to say!

I am very excited to go on this cruise, and I know it will be very crowded, but you can always find someplace for a peaceful moment. But most of all I am looking forward to the companionship and fun with my favorite guy, and my new friends here!:)

well chances are James doesn't even know what James is going to say. I mean after dropping a transmisson on his big ole head..:D Size doesn't matter to me either...just as long as Staci is with me.:D

I prefer ships that have Royal Promenade but hey as long as my friends are onboard then I dont really care too much which ship it is ...as long as it is a Royal Caribbean ship :D :D

I agree.... I've been tempted to try other lines..I was going to until I found that wacky group of critters...:p

I don't think the size matters as much as the itenerary . I do love to invite cruise vigins on voyager class ships because they are very inpressive. I haven't been on freedom class only because the ports are the same Caribbean ports that most of the ships stop at, and Freedom class ships tend to cost more for the same thing. I also find it hard to imagine doing a trans Alantic or Hawaii round trip on something the size the Majesty of the Seas. The tindering issue is a great point as well. Personally my favorite are the Vision class.:cool:

Hmmmmm, wonder what I said? ;) :D

See this is a trick question because when we cruise, the amount of things to do on a ship matters to us. And the bigger the ship, the more ammenities.

So I guess in a roundabout way, size does matter to us.

And Ron, what Compass? I know nothing about any compass. :p

You have explained this very well. The smaller ships are perfect for the short itineraries. The larger ones are better for longer cruises.;)

Have to agree Sovereign was great for a 4 nighter. I sure would have liked having JSME and DH or Girl crew on our cruise but someday soon when I find the $$ maybe I'll hook her crew up again ;)

See this is a trick question because when we cruise, the amount of things to do on a ship matters to us. And the bigger the ship, the more ammenities.

Spoiling cruisemama DH and daughters would make the cruise great regardless of what ship...... But having a ton of things to do and places to go would make it better on a bigger ship for a larger family with diverging interests :D

I have not voted......but size matters to us. Smaller that is!!:D

We love the Vision Class and the Radiance Class.......and will tolerate the Voyager Class.

We will not cruise on the Freedom Class.......it's a floating resort.........not a cruise ship!! We have been aboard..........and have no interest.

Genesis???? Way too large for us!!

We have many points with RCCL............but if they were to get rid of the Radiance Class..........we would be with another cruise line.

We have sailed one time on the Golden Princess.......and she was too large for us...........so we left Princess.

Viva.......Vision and Radiance Class ships!!:) :D :)

Rick

Well Michele I hate to be the one to break it to you but you know nothing about a lot of things...why should the compass be any different. Now answer my dang question..I have an article to write!!;) :D

Well Michele I hate to be the one to break it to you but you know nothing about a lot of things...why should the compass be any different. Now answer my dang question..I have an article to write!!;)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I did answer your question. Do you need a dictionary to figure out the big words. :p

BTW, what are you doing here tonight? I don't see you here. :cool:

When I answered yesterday I went with who you cruise with.:)

Ordinarily I would say size matters but since I have this cruise with the critters coming up I wouldn't care if we were sailing on the SOS.:D But I really am glad it is on the Genesis!!!:D

I have not voted......but size matters to us. Smaller that is!!:D

We love the Vision Class and the Radiance Class.......and will tolerate the Voyager Class.

We will not cruise on the Freedom Class.......it's a floating resort.........not a cruise ship!! We have been aboard..........and have no interest.

Genesis???? Way too large for us!!

We have many points with RCCL............but if they were to get rid of the Radiance Class..........we would be with another cruise line.

We have sailed one time on the Golden Princess.......and she was too large for us...........so we left Princess.

Viva.......Vision and Radiance Class ships!!:) :D :)

Rick

I would agree. I probably wont be too crazy about the size of the Genesis. The Mariner was almost too big. I mean you can only do so much. However, if you get too small then you have motion sickness. I would like to do the Panama Canal which I believe is a smaller ship. Of course I have to do the Genesis just so I can say I was on the biggest ship in the world and with the best group cruise ever! However, I don't see myself doing anything bigger!:D

In this day, bigger is NOT better, imho. 110,000 GRT is borderline too big for me. I love the 70,000 to 90,000 GRT size ships. Big enough to have a lot of the ammenities of the behemoths and yet small enough to find your way around, run into the same people, and still feel like you are actually on the ocean on a cruise ship.....not a behemoth land like resort on a cruise ship.

This is a trickey one.
It depend on what kind of cruise you like. If you travel with kids a large vessel is often the best due to the high level of activitys.
If you plan a luxery vacation you normally dont pick a huge vessel. (exept crystal cruises)
The small vessels is normally the best, but more exopencive. I do belive the best of the best today is the Sea dream yacht club.
Seaborn cruise line use to be very good, but I have not done them since carneval cruise line took over, and Carneval is mass tourism and not luxery cruise

if the ships get much bigger they will become a destination themselves. You wont need to call on ports anywhere...just go out into the Golf of Mexico and park for a week! I've heard from several people that never get off the ships anyway.

I'm on my mother's account, and I'm going to answer this in the perspective of a teenager. I've been on 4 cruises (2 on the Navigator, 1 Freedom, 1 Liberty) and I've come to love cruising so much that'd I'd pick a cruise over Disney World at this point. As a teen, I'd say bigger is better. The newer ships have more to do for people my age. I don't care so much about the bars as I do not drink. Nor do I care about the amount of people, as the more people there are the better chances I have at meeting people my age to hang out with. I'm use to the service of fast food, so to me, the dining room is incredible. With the bigger size comes more activities I've found such as the Flowrider, the larger rock climbing wall, Ben and Jerry's, the On Air club, ect.- all things I'd hate no longer having on a ship. (I'm sorry for sounding incredibly spoiled here. Haha)

Now if you talk to my mother or my grandparents, I'm positive they'd tell you smaller is better. They complain about not having as great service, too many people, not as elegant settings, and things such as that.

while we have had a great time on all our ships from Monarch to Vision to Liberty I think the best was on Vision...just like having fewer pax...if you are looking for the most activities then by far the larger ships will have more for you, but for us the mid size ships are just perfect

[quote name='cruiserbryce']while we have had a great time on all our ships from Monarch to Vision to Liberty I think the best was on Vision...just like having fewer pax...if you are looking for the most activities then by far the larger ships will have more for you, but for us the mid size ships are just perfect[/quote]

I've heard many good things about the smaller ships. I am looking forward to trying one after the Genesis. Maybe the panamal canal cruise on the Jewel is it? I would hope the RCCL will still make some of the smaller ships to replace the ones that are getting older.

Archived