Airport Pickup Problems

We're trying to book our cruise to make sure that we don't lose a good airplane deal we found. We were going to fly in 1 day early (most people do that if you book separately, right?), and pay the $30 for Royal Caribbean to pick us up at the airport.

But.....they want us to type in our airplane information. I did, and then it gives me this error:

The Inbound flight needs to be on the Sail Date.

We were going to stay at the airport hotel (within walking distance) and just walk back to the airport (or Taxi, if needed) on the day of the cruise. Why in the world would they have the restriction that you have to fly in on that day?

Should I call them and ask them what's up? Should I just lie and say we're flying in on the day of the cruise?

This just seems like a really stupid requirement....

On second thought (I'd love to still have an answer to the first question, but it may not be relevant for this cruise), I decided to look at the "book through the cruise" deals - I had just assumed that it would be a lot more expensive than separately.

Since we were going to fly in 1 day earlier, and leave 1 day later, it would cost us to have a hotel. Booking through RCI, we don't need to do that, and it turns out to be about the same as Flight+Cruise+Hotel.

But....they cover everything, right, since I'm booking it all through them? If our flight gets delayed, the ship waits, right (I think I remember hearing something about that)? We just have to make sure that we're at the right airport at the right time to leave, and they take care of everything until we're back home, right? That would be awesome, and it would be great to pay for everything in one spot. I just want to know what's covered and what isn't. Thanks a ton!

We're trying to book our cruise to make sure that we don't lose a good airplane deal we found. We were going to fly in 1 day early (most people do that if you book separately, right?), and pay the $30 for Royal Caribbean to pick us up at the airport.

But.....they want us to type in our airplane information. I did, and then it gives me this error:

We were going to stay at the airport hotel (within walking distance) and just walk back to the airport (or Taxi, if needed) on the day of the cruise. Why in the world would they have the restriction that you have to fly in on that day?

Should I call them and ask them what's up? Should I just lie and say we're flying in on the day of the cruise?

I am not 100% sure but I think you can only purchase transfers from airport to ship not hotel. When you put in airline info you also put in the date you are flying in and it was the day before sailing.

Since you don't need hotel transfer (walk to airport) put in the sailing date even though you will be coming in day earlier.

They just want to knwo how many are coming in at any time so they can have sufficuient busses and people ready

In most US ports it is quicker and less expensive to take a taxi to and from the port. You don't have to arrive the day of the cruise in order to buy RCI transfers. You just have to be at the airport on the day of the cruise as that is the only time RCI sends transportation.

2 years ago we bought an RCI transfer from Anchorage to Seward. We were spending a week independently traveling in Alaska before, were returning the rental car to the airport, and taking the RCI transfer from there.

RCI demanded the same info, and it had to be a flight the same day, and it to be filled in.

I just looked up flights on AlaskaAir.com, found one that came in about the time we planned to return the rental car, and used that flight number.

In other words, lie.

Like 39August said - I checked into using their transfer last year. I think if we used the ground transportation we needed to pay for it at point of pick up. - Something weird like that. If you stay at an airport hotel most will have a free shuttle to take you to and from the airport.

Should I just lie and say we're flying in on the day of the cruise?

Sure, go ahead and lie, and then hope your bags that sit there for 24 hours are still there when the RCCL people show up to get them.

While I can't say for sure, my guess is that any cruise line that picks up bags at the airport only do so on the sail date. Why would they want to pick up bags and have to store them for a day or more? It's no different that someone who wants to stay a day longer when the get back from a cruise, and expect the cruise line to hold their bags for an extra day.

Far as I can tell, the cruise line doesn't pick up bags from any airport.

The passengers arrive, with bags. The cruise line rep checks the names off the list, the passengers march (or amble) to the bus with bags. The bags are put on the bus, and away you go.

When we went to Sao Paulo a few weeks ago, the deal included air and transfers. A whole bunch of planes from different stateside locations arrived about the same time. Think we had three busloads.

Sure, go ahead and lie, and then hope your bags that sit there for 24 hours are still there when the RCCL people show up to get them.

While I can't say for sure, my guess is that any cruise line that picks up bags at the airport only do so on the sail date. Why would they want to pick up bags and have to store them for a day or more? It's no different that someone who wants to stay a day longer when the get back from a cruise, and expect the cruise line to hold their bags for an extra day.

I assumed that they'd show up at the airport on the sail date to catch their transfer. You have to find the cruise reps and give them your luggage whether you just grabbed it off the carousel or walked in the front door with it. At least at Anchorage the cruise reps don't just grab it off the carousel themselves. Can't imagine just leaving stuff at the airport!

Well, we were going to get our bags the day we flew in (1 day before the flight) and head to the hotel for a night. Then, the next day, come back to the airport, stand in the pickup area and wait for the bus to come. Or is it not that easy?

The answer to your question is shown above but let me put it all together with some other thoughts.

1) You cannot buy a transfer from RCCL to a hotel you booked or from the hotel to the ship.

2) You can go to the airport the morning of your sailing an get the transfer from RCCL. As stated you merely "lie" about the date your flight is coming in. They do not check air manifests.

3) If we are talking about Anchorage, ask RCCL if you can get a transfer that departs from the Egan Center. That is the convention center. Chances are that the transfer from the airport will take you to the Egan Center to take another bus to the port.

4) If Anchorage, consider taking the train from Anchorage. You can book that yourself at http://www.alaskarailroad.com/. The train station is right in Anchorage and train time is designed to get to the ship. The fare to Seward is $69 per adult. A great ride and the train goes right to the pier. Seriously consider taking the Kenai Fjord cruise package offered by the Alaska Railroad. Awesome!!!!! They show it as a round trip from Anchorage but you can buy it just one way. They will get you back in plenty of time to sail, remember it is late sail away. As long as you notify them in advance, they will store your luggage and transfer you from the ship to the boat tour and back to the ship.

5) You can buy just the transfer at the end of the cruise to the airport from RCCL.

I've never cruised before and I had similar questions/probs. It became too hard so I plan to fly in the day before, get the hotel shuttle to pick us up, the next morning take a cab to the pier and a cab from the pier back to the hotel to stay an additional day. If I cannot get a cab at the pier back to the hotel, then surely I can get back to the AP at which time I can once again call the hotel to pick me up. This way if I don't make the ship, it is MY fault and there is no excuse. I don't like depending on anyone else for my travel plans.

Archived