Food On Fos

I am leaving on FOS on 9/28/2008. I've been reading many mixed reviews of mostly mediocre reviews of the food on FOS in the dining room. I'm starting to get worried. I'm not so worried about the buffet. Buffet to me is the same on most ships I've been, no matter the line. However, I would expect to have a fairly tasty meal in the dining room. I don't expect gourmet as they have to prepare for so many passengers. I'm starting to think maybe I should have booked on a smaller ship. This will be my 7 yr son first time. I just think he will love the H20 Zone. But is that enough to pay such high prices for?

I am leaving on FOS on 9/28/2008. I've been reading many mixed reviews of mostly mediocre reviews of the food on FOS in the dining room. I'm starting to get worried. I'm not so worried about the buffet. Buffet to me is the same on most ships I've been, no matter the line. However, I would expect to have a fairly tasty meal in the dining room. I don't expect gourmet as they have to prepare for so many passengers. I'm starting to think maybe I should have booked on a smaller ship. This will be my 7 yr son first time. I just think he will love the H20 Zone. But is that enough to pay such high prices for?

OK, you can't make everyone happy all of the time. You would have people complain that the water is too hot / too cold, not enough salad dressing, etc. Try to disregard what others say and establish your own opinion.

If you're wanting a "foodie cruise", you need to try the cruise lines that are a little more upscale (Celebrity for example has excellent food! - we were also very pleased with NCL meals.).

My DH is 6'5" (I'm 6'2") and he's VERY picky about food and I have yet to hear him complain about the food on RCCL. I do appreciate the concern though!!

Lady_G

Keep your expectations in check. You are cruising on a mass market line that is taking care of 4000 guests in the dining room in a matter of a few hours. The food will taste like mass produced banquet food as that is exactly what it is. If you have been to a Marriott or Hilton large catered event then that is basically what RCI food or any mass market line is like. I have yet to go hungry on a cruise. Don't worry and have fun.:)

The food on Liberty (same size) was wonderful, no complaints. Remember, if you are displeased with any selection in the Dining Room, your server will make it right. You can have something else, or special order something for the next night. My son (17) had one entrée and one steak every single night. :p However, the third night he asked our server if they could do a little something "extra"... he wanted more flavor... so the next night, she delivered him a steak that was out of this world, specially prepared for him with garlic and extra seasonings. Our server said her mouth was watering as she could smell it when she was bringing it from the kitchen. :)

My point is that you needn't worry about this. Remember, people's reviews are subjective. If I believed everything I ever read, my cruise would be the most miserable experience of my life... and trust me, they have all been fabulous.

We just returned for FOS and the dining room food was the worst I have ever had on any cruise. The steak was so tough no matter how they cooked it. I am not picky at all our night out is Outback Steak House. The buffet was better then the dining room. Either way go and have fun, the good news is you will not gain weight.

Thanks guys for your input and past experiences. I'll try the dining room food. I just know that I'll have to put aside something extra for specialty dining at Chops and Portofino if the food bombs. I have eaten at Portofino on AOS and just loved it. Looking forward to trying Chops.

With so many dining choices on the ship you are sure to find something you will like. As others have said and I think you already realize it is a giant meal at dinner time so with so many eating it will not be cooked to order like you may get at a nice eatery in town. It is edible and most dishes are just fine to really good.

With everything to eat on the ship no passenger kid or adult should ever go hungry.

Enjoy your cruise. My DD age 7 almost 8 loves cruising and looks forward to her 2nd NYE cruise.

Archived