NOROVIRUS on Carnival Pride

Scotts73

So I was reading on another post that the Norovirus is on the Pride right now. What all do they do to sanitize, and should I be nervous for my upcoming cruise on May 4th? We are taking our 2 year old son and of course will be taking hand sanitizer, etc. I am so excited to cruise, but at the same time this makes me a little nervous. Hopefully there are no signs of the virus by the time we cruise!!!!! :confused:

So I was reading on another post that the Norovirus is on the Pride right now. What all do they do to sanitize, and should I be nervous for my upcoming cruise on May 4th? We are taking our 2 year old son and of course will be taking hand sanitizer, etc. I am so excited to cruise, but at the same time this makes me a little nervous. Hopefully there are no signs of the virus by the time we cruise!!!!! :confused:

I've been on 9 cruises, the Pride twice, and have had no problems. I'm not sure how the virus starts. I wouldn't worry too much. The ships are very clean.

The only sure way to avoid it, is to frequently wash your hands with soap and hot water.

Hand sanitizer has little or no effect on a virus.

What I was going to say. You may be surprised that you are exposed to these type viruses daily.

As a side note on viruses and illness in general : My $.02: Talking to family members that are DR's and CRNP, people that are super obsessive about germs are the ones that these type things hit hard. That's why antibiotics are not used often in our house, and we really do not use "antibacterial" products except during flu season....Hey I am not crazy.....I got 4 kids flu breaks out in our house it will last forever!! :eek:

Don't worry too much about this. Be very diligent about washing your hands frequently, especially before meals. Noro can happen anywhere, happens on land all the time, but you don't hear as much about that as you do about outbreaks on ships.

Enjoy the Pride ~ she is a great ship! :)

A few years ago all the hand and dish washing detergent companies were jumping on the band wagon and labeling everything "anti-bacterial". It is kind of silly.

Carry all the hand sanitizer you want but it wont help against the noro. Use soap and water. Dont touch everything you see. Keep your hands to yourself. While in the buffet serve with your left and eat with your right (or vice versa). If you touch the serving utensils with your left hand eat only with your right. Nothing like having little Johnny pick his nose and then touch every spoon on the serving line. ;)

How do things like this get started? Try not washing your hands after you wipe your butt.

All this virus is, is the flu (influenza). Instead of staying home, where they belong, they board the ship because they don't want to lose their money. Evidently, they did not buy insurance, etc. The first thing I would do is go to the doctor and get antibiotics immediately. I got an upper respiratory infection a few weeks ago. Knowing I was going on a cruise, I went to the doctor right away and "nipped it in the bud". Obviously, sometimes people only think about themselves, and with the addiction to cruising, don't think about spreading their germs.

With that said, remember, we are on a small "city" which has a lot of people in an area and can spread rather quickly. It is not inclusive to cruise ships.

I know when people at work get sick, it usually makes the rounds in the office and here at home. If one of us gets a cold, all of us do.

I take Clorox wipes with me (put container in plastic bag in luggage). The crew does a great job of cleaning, room always looks spotless. When I get to our cabin, I clean the door knobs, drawers, remote control, light switches, etc. Only takes a few minutes, and makes me feel that I have done what I can to remove germs for us, grandchildren. Wash hands frequently.

Enjoy your cruise!

2 is a hard age. My daughter was 5 on her first cruise I turned my back and when I turned around she had a table on the balcony and was using it to stand up on to look over the balcony rail. My heart stopped. I gave her a good talking to. At age 2 you will be the one washing his hands a lot. Young kids on a cruise is hard. My youngest is now 9 and I still give her special attention on a cruise.

I take Clorox wipes with me (put container in plastic bag in luggage). The crew does a great job of cleaning, room always looks spotless. When I get to our cabin, I clean the door knobs, drawers, remote control, light switches, etc. Only takes a few minutes, and makes me feel that I have done what I can to remove germs for us, grandchildren. Wash hands frequently.

Enjoy your cruise!

YOU SHALL NOT TAKE ANTIBIOTICS WHEN YOU HAVE A FLU OR A COLD. The medicin does not help you, but makes the body resistant to thees drugs. Then when you really need them they dont work. In many countries like the USA and Spain you take to much antibiotics. Sorry, but that is a fact. Wash your hands!

The doctor

Thanks for all of the info. I know that it's just basically a stomach virus....so hopefully we don't have any passengers that decide to board when they have symptoms! :rolleyes: Can't wait to sit out on that balcony and soak up the sun!

YOU SHALL NOT TAKE ANTIBIOTICS WHEN YOU HAVE A FLU OR A COLD. The medicin does not help you, but makes the body resistant to thees drugs. Then when you really need them they dont work. In many countries like the USA and Spain you take to much antibiotics. Sorry, but that is a fact. Wash your hands!

The doctor

There are flu shots before you get sick. What the basic thing is....they should not be cruising if they have a virus, especially if they are running a fever.

Well as a med technologist, I can attest that hand sanitizers are the recommended method to prevent the spread of Norovirus. I have sat in on many conferences that had studies to prove this. I believe the CDC recommends alcohol based sanitizer but the point made is to wash, wash ,wash your hands.

Yep, doesn't hurt to do both, use the hand sanitizer AND of course WASH, WASH, then WASH again! :) It amazes me how many people don't even wash their hands after using the restroom! ugh.

Well as a med technologist, I can attest that hand sanitizers are the recommended method to prevent the spread of Norovirus. I have sat in on many conferences that had studies to prove this. I believe the CDC recommends alcohol based sanitizer but the point made is to wash, wash ,wash your hands.

THANK YOU!!!

FINALLY THE TRUTH!!!

See, having the mentality that hand sanitizers dont work is the biggest problem!!!

THE ONLY WAY HAND SANITIZER DOESN'T WORK IS IF YOU DON'T USE IT!

Please go learn something before you make such argumentative statements.

This sucks!! I leave on my first cruise on the Pride tommorrow!!

Please everyone, tell me i'll be okay. I'm very vigilant about washing my hands so that should help alot.

Please though, even if your lying, tell me i'll be fine and that i'm gonna have a great time!

I'm also bringing Lysol spray for the room.

Anything else you reccomend?

THANK YOU!!!

FINALLY THE TRUTH!!!

See, having the mentality that hand sanitizers dont work is the biggest problem!!!

Please everyone, tell me i'll be okay. I'm very vigilant about washing my hands so that should help alot.

Please though, even if your lying, tell me i'll be fine and that i'm gonna have a great time!

Hey Frizzle! Let us know how it went when you return, so maybe we won't have to worry as much! ;)

Hey Frizzle! Let us know how it went when you return, so maybe we won't have to worry as much! ;)

I will definitely keep everyone posted on how it turns out.

I'm pretty concerned about it. I've read that even after they completely sanitize the ship, it still doesn't kill the virus.:(

Wish me good luck everyone, I might need it for this voyage!

Take care everyone and smooth sailing!!

No one can guarantee that you'll NOT get noro, regardless of any precautions you take.

You can get it anywhere, at any time.

Wash your hands. Use your hand sanitizer.

I'm to the point that when I'm in the toilet and someone flushes and starts to walk out, I say something. Yep, I'm one of those women who will shout out "YOU DIDN'T WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!!!"

Don't grab the door handle on your way out, either, especially when you've heard someone flush and walk!

No one can guarantee that you'll NOT get noro, regardless of any precautions you take.

You can get it anywhere, at any time.

Wash your hands. Use your hand sanitizer.

I'm to the point that when I'm in the toilet and someone flushes and starts to walk out, I say something. Yep, I'm one of those women who will shout out "YOU DIDN'T WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!!!"

Don't grab the door handle on your way out, either, especially when you've heard someone flush and walk!

I like that!!:D

Calling people out when they deserve it.

How does a person NOT wash their hands after wiping?

UHG!!! THAT IS ABSOLUTELY REPULSIVE!!

I'm pretty concerned about it. I've read that even after they completely sanitize the ship, it still doesn't kill the virus.:(

You would be amazed at the amount of bacteria and viruses we encounter on a daily basis. Sometimes we get sick; other times our bodies are able to mount a great defense and nip the problem in the bud.

I dont really think there is a sure fire way to completely eradicate a virus.

Please enjoy your vacation but please wash, wash, wash your hands. Before you eat wash your hands. Before you leave the restroom was your hands.

THANK YOU!!!

FINALLY THE TRUTH!!!

That is what we do....I pack Lysol spray (now I use room/air sanitizer Oust) and spray all doorknobs, light switches, toilet handle, sink and tub knobs, shower curtain and bed spread............and then we have it for odor use in the bathroom.........

The skin on my hands is constantly dry from all the washing and sanitizing I do on a regular basis.

Obsessive compulsives aren't this vigilant.

It's better to have to use alot of lotion for dry skin than to knowingly spread harmful germs unto others. This world needs more consideration of others.

So, i'm with you on the washing. Hopefully me or my group wont get sick.

Archived