NOROVIRUS on Carnival Pride

Scotts73

My last cruise was a "noro cruise." Here's what you may expect:

[LIST]
[*]We had a delay in boarding of a couple hours while they sanitized the ship extra-thoroughly. Probably do not need passengers in the way when they do this, so they just delayed boarding.
[*]We were offered the opportunity to cancel without penalty. I don't think many people took this option.
[*]Onboard, we saw staff constantly wiping down the surfaces people touch with a bleach solution.
[*]At all entrances to food service areas, staff was stationed to hand you an alcohol wipe.
[*]At the buffets, you hold your plate and staff scoops up the food for you - passengers cannot touch the serving utensils
[*]At the drink fountain, staff takes your glass from you and fills it, and hands it back - no self service drinks or ice.
[*]At the table, no salt and pepper dispensers. Staff will come by with that and salt and pepper your food (think about it - touching those dispensers can spread illness.)
[*]We received letters from the captain on the state of the virus and the activity being done to correct it.
[*]There was a delay in disembarking at some ports of call, as the local authorities surveyed the health of the ship.[/LIST]Bottom line, we did not get sick, and by the last few days of the cruise the virus-fighting rules were relaxed a bit. I assume the outbreak had been contained and few additional cases were reported.

Other than the extra cleaning in the public areas, and the obvious changes in food service areas, the cruise really was no different than any other. This is definitely not something to worry over.

Just wash your hands before you eat, don't bite nails or otherwise put unsanitary things in your mouth, and you'll be fine.

[quote name='KroozNut']Including the Captain's at his welcome aboard party? :eek:[/quote]

I've read on occasion that in a noro (or other communicable disease) outbreak, the Captain refrains from shaking the passengers' hands. Sounds reasonable when you consider how many people bring their germs onboard with them.

Well, several people have posted that "the cdc says"... Just my two centws on that... OBVIOUSLY as a gov't agency they say what people want to hear.

Yes isopropyl alcohol has an effect on the norovirus. SO in that line of thinking an alcohol based gel hand sanitizer should help protect against actually contracting the illness. Also they make little alcohol pads in individually wrapper packages. I can't remember where I got them last (I think in the first aid kit at work, soo that kind of place) That would be effective since it's 100% Alcohol. It would take vigousrous wiping and probably a couple of those little towelette sized wipes to take care of both your hands, but when on an excursion it might be safer to use those than the gel because they will actually get rid of the dirt too.

The bantering between people of the CDC says this or the research says that really doesn't mean anything. Who cares what anyone says really?? If there was research that said that people who regularly lick doorknobs don't get sick as often would you do it?? NO, because common sense says, that can't be right! Research can be made to say what you want it to say to an extent.

The bottom line should be YES bring sanitizer and YES wash your hands. Not no to either.

i've not been a big user of sanitizer, as i wash my hands often. i have worked in daycare & currently at a vet clinic. daycare center never had sanitizer, just soap & water. for me, soap & water is my first choice. sanitizer would be my second choice. i also try not to get run down. i have occasionally had a 24-hour intestinal virus, but that's about it. didn't get the flu when my daughter got it. i think we all need to be wise about hand washing & keeping fingers out of our eyes, noses & mouths. don't touch doorknobs going out of bathrooms.

[quote name='sassy0930']Well, several people have posted that "the cdc says"... Just my two centws on that... [COLOR=red][B]OBVIOUSLY as a gov't agency they say what people want to hear. [/B][/COLOR]

Yes isopropyl alcohol has an effect on the norovirus. SO in that line of thinking an alcohol based gel hand sanitizer should help protect against actually contracting the illness. Also they make little alcohol pads in individually wrapper packages. I can't remember where I got them last (I think in the first aid kit at work, soo that kind of place) That would be effective since it's 100% Alcohol. It would take vigousrous wiping and probably a couple of those little towelette sized wipes to take care of both your hands, but when on an excursion it might be safer to use those than the gel because they will actually get rid of the dirt too.

The bantering between people of the CDC says this or the research says that really doesn't mean anything. Who cares what anyone says really?? If there was research that said that people who regularly lick doorknobs don't get sick as often would you do it?? NO, because common sense says, that can't be right! Research can be made to say what you want it to say to an extent.

The bottom line should be YES bring sanitizer and YES wash your hands. Not no to either.[/quote]

If that were really true, then they would be telling us all that yes, yes, yes, use the sanitizer and you will be PROTECTED. Because that's really what most of us would like to believe.

I don't believe everything that is said or written by the government or government funded agencies. On the other hand, I don't automatically assume everything that a government agency says is wrong, either. The CDC is not infallible, but they do a pretty decent job of putting out good information. They are only able to assess the body of research available, and we all know that over time, research studies are either shown to be accurate or they are not replicated enough to support conclusions.

That is the problem with research. One study shows blah blah blah and the media jumps right on it. Reputable researchers know that one study means nothing. It must be replicated over and over with essentially the same results before true confidence can be displayed in the study's conclusions. Studies must have enough random subjects, they must adhere to a lot of conditions to be taken seriously and many studies do not measure up in terms of numbers of subjects, controls, random samples, etc. So in that sense, you are so right that research can be manipulated by less than ethical people or by people who just don't know how to assess it.

[quote name='sassy0930']... OBVIOUSLY as a gov't agency they say what people want to hear. [/quote]

Not when it comes to health. Otherwise, the Surgeon General would be saying "Smoke all you want, drinking to excess does not cause liver damage, If it tastes good, then it is good for you".

[quote name='Frizzle Fry']THANK YOU!!!

FINALLY THE TRUTH!!!

See, having the mentality that hand sanitizers dont work is the biggest problem!!!

THE ONLY WAY HAND SANITIZER DOESN'T WORK IS IF YOU DON'T USE IT!
[/quote]
Ahhh... but the point made was: use a hand sanitizer that is ALCOHOL-based. Isopropyl alcohol kills microbes and viruses, much the same way that chlorine bleach does (aka: Chlorox wipes...). Just using a "hand sanitizer" doesn't do diddly unless it's alcohol-based. Read the labels - [I]caveat emptor[/I].

The over-obsession with cleanliness is what is leading us to these super-bugs and flesh-eating bacterium. And a lot of them originate in the one place you wouldn't think, hospitals. Sorry, I don't wash my hands after using a urinal. My parents taught me to not pee on my hands and I shower every morning after getting out of bed. After being on the stool, definitely wash my hands. Did you know that public toilets are notorious for spreading vaporised e. coli? They don't have toilet lids, so when you flush, the splash and swirl of the toilet actually causes microscopic (and sometimes macroscopic, ie: droplets you can see) to fly into the air. So it gets on everything and in the air you breathe in the restroom. Same thing for noro', you could be infected just from sitting next/near to someone who coughs violently and doesn't cover their mouth (airplane, anyone?).

Basic thing as our moms all taught us: wash your hands before eating anything; cover your mouth when you sneeze/cough; don't play in the restrooms; and if you're sick STAY HOME!

Well, my point wasn't that the gov't would say anything the public wants to hear, but what the company who'd paying them this week.

And that's why it is said by two different article and n different places quoted by different people that yes it works and no it doesn't.

I agree with you nrdsb4 that the research changes and that's why it's so confusing about what we can and can't do about specifically THIS virus, but also all kinds of other illnesses.

Well duck, I don't want to smoke or drink a lot because it DOES make me sick. at least I FEEL sick HAHA. My point was simply that they will report what research they see and if they only see research from Purell then obviosuly they are going to say what purell wants them to say! the CDC doesn't necesarilly do all the research, like nrdsb4 said, they interpret momst of the research they find from outside sources.

Just to drive home the REAL point though. DO BOTH. one won't hurt the other and they work together GREAT!

[quote name='Scotts73']Thanks for all of the info. I know that it's just basically a stomach virus....so hopefully we don't have any passengers that decide to board when they have symptoms! :rolleyes: Can't wait to sit out on that balcony and soak up the sun![/quote]
I wash my hands alot (It has actually become an obsession because of where I work with alot of people)...I am more worried about the kitchen staff than contracting it from other passengers...but we have no control over that and have to trust they are cooking under high standards of sanitation. I am not going to work myself into a frenzy (and I will certainly eat my share of food:)

[quote name='ellenmb']we have no control over that and have to trust they are cooking under high standards of sanitation.[/QUOTE]

They are or they would not be sailing.. This is the purpose of periodic, surprise and very thorough sanitation inspections. All ship's scores and the results of these inspections are available to the public for review; for those that are interested..

[quote name='KroozNut']Including the Captain's at his welcome aboard party? :eek:[/quote]

ESPECIALLY the Captain's party! He's just shaken everyone else's hand! I tried to be polite and said I thought I had a cold.

:o

I'm not a germ-a-phobe, either. But with my budget, I sure as heck don't want to spend my cruise in my cabin sick from Noro!

[quote name='NCTribeFan']ESPECIALLY the Captain's party! He's just shaken everyone else's hand! I tried to be polite and said I thought I had a cold.

:o

I'm not a germ-a-phobe, either. But with my budget, I sure as heck don't want to spend my cruise in my cabin sick from Noro![/QUOTE]

I could be wrong but this seems to be a bit paranoid to me. Like I said, I could be wrong... ;)

Paranoid is rubber gloves. Not shaking hands is just good sense.

Sometime watch how many times people sneeze in their hands, uses the toilet and doesnt wash, picks their nose or worse, etc, etc.

Shaking hands and then rubbing your eye, gives the EXACT same outcome as licking a toilet seat. When was the last time you licked a toilet seat? [IMG]http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sick/sick0021.gif[/IMG]

[quote name='maxamuus']Paranoid is rubber gloves. Not shaking hands is just good sense.

Sometime watch how many times someone sneezes in their hands, uses the toilet and doesnt wash, picks their nose or worse, etc, etc.

Shaking hands and then rubbing your eye, gives the EXACT same outcome as licking a toilet seat. When was the last time you licked a toilet seat? [IMG]http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sick/sick0021.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Paranoid again..

[quote name='stthomaslover']Just wanted to day, got home today from the Victory, my dh got the dreaded noro last night on the ship, sick all night, then we had to board a plane this morning.

Also, we used clorox wipes in the room, wash our hands and try to be very careful.[/QUOTE]

And how was this diagnosed?

Diagnosed... Please... You don't have to be a doctor to know you have a stomach virus.. Also, about the shaking hands thing.. I haven't thought about it before but that makes sense. Who knows what that person has had their hands on. Someone said earlier that they don't wash their hands after they use the urinal because their parents taught them not to pee on their hands but you still used your hand to unzip, hold on to your pen**, flushed and zipped back up so you may not pee on your hands but they sure do touch a lot of stuff.. No attitude intended here, it just makes sense to wash or sanitize after you visit a bathroom, shake someones hand, or use buffet serving utensils..

[quote name='sassy0930']
The bantering between people of the CDC says this or the research says that really doesn't mean anything. [/QUOTE]

It means something to people who want [I]accurate[/I] information from reliable sources...the Center for Disease Control is accepted worldwide as being one of the most reputable and knowledgable medical/scientific sources.

Now if accuracy wasn't a concern to me, then I guess I could accept any one of the many statements posted on this thread as 'gospel' or even offer an additional statement. But I think I'll just go with what the experts say. :rolleyes:

Cindy7

Is it has Confirmed Pride has N-virus on last cruise?: I'm asking because my best friend's brother was on the pride for his honeymoon by the way i m thinking about taking Pride again next fall. i dont care abouut the ports, but i love the ship

I would like to see the Carnival staff serving on the buffet lines. I do not eat at the buffets as I have gotten sick every time. I am a nurse and have been washing my hands with soap and water properly for more than 34 years. It is the dining room for me. And no hand shaking for me.

[quote name='CRUZ-AHOLIC']It means something to people who want [I]accurate[/I] information from reliable sources...the Center for Disease Control is accepted worldwide as being one of the most reputable and knowledgable medical/scientific sources.

Now if accuracy wasn't a concern to me, then I guess I could accept any one of the many statements posted on this thread as 'gospel' or even offer an additional statement. But I think I'll just go with what the experts say. :rolleyes:

Cindy7[/quote]

The CDC and NIH are the "gold standard" in medical circles. It is really irritating to hear them criticized by someone who doesn't have the vaguest concept of what medical research involves. As you say Cindy, these boards are full of misinformation when it comes to medicine. People should stick to what they know, not what they've "heard".

[quote name='nrdsb4']I've read on occasion that in a noro (or other communicable disease) outbreak, the Captain refrains from shaking the passengers' hands. Sounds reasonable when you consider how many people bring their germs onboard with them.[/QUOTE]

I saw this on our last cruise, when we had a noro breakout of almost 300 people.

Long time ago I used to work for Carnival and met with noro problem. What happened: Sanitation Officer arrived and following the procedures (desinfection, educating and meeting with mgrs/staff,...) he did his best to stop it and he did in few days. Usually ships are cleaned all the time, 24 hours and staff are supervised.
You can shake Captian's hand (someone mentioned it is gruesomely), touch elevator buttons, open the doors, etc. without getting noro. The main thing is that YOU HAVE TO WASH YOUR HANDS ALL THE TIME. Noro can happen anywhere!!!
And one more thing. When taking food don't sneeze in it (like some people do)!

Enjoy your stay with CCL!

Archived