Stroller counts as luggage

TN cruisin

Now the limit is one bag per person, so with a baby/kid it's not hard to go over the limit.

One suitcase per person, one carry on which doesn't include the diaper bag. That's your purse, diaper bag and 2 carry ons. That's just if it is the two of you. You can do it!:D

One suitcase per person, one carry on which doesn't include the diaper bag. That's your purse, diaper bag and 2 carry ons. That's just if it is the two of you. You can do it!:D

I have a lap baby, so he doesn't get a checked bag:( , which really does make it difficult when you have to pack enough diapers, food, clothes, some entertainment, bobby, etc for a baby for 2 weeks. Plus you only get one carry on and a personal item (a diaper bag counts as one of the two) because babies don't get carry ons. It would be a lot easier if lap babies got the same status as other passengers! :)

I don't have the link to the info, I got it from a family member who works for American. He's on a trip right now, so I will ask him for it when he returns.

The airlines aren't trying to nickel and dime anyone. They are all suffering right now. They're still doing occaisional lay offs, people aren't getting raises, they aren't making a profit. It's the cost of fuel combined with a crappy economy and they are just trying to stay afloat.

It would be a lot easier if lap babies got the same status as other passengers! :)

The airlines aren't trying to nickel and dime anyone. They are all suffering right now. They're still doing occaisional lay offs, people aren't getting raises, they aren't making a profit. It's the cost of fuel combined with a crappy economy and they are just trying to stay afloat.

How could anyone expect that a lap baby who is NOT paying for the service that the airline is providing to paying passengers, receive the same status????

The airlines are in difficult financial times and we all need to get used to it. However its very hard to swallow the HUGE bonus' that the upper management are receiving like the one last week at American!!!

This is not on AA's webpage, and I can't find information about this any where.

As I said, this is inside info yet to be announced. This is the date that I have been told. You can take it as you will, I would trust this person with my life and if this is what they were told, then I will believe it until told otherwise. I'm just trying to help you guys with info that may be important to you.

As to the other comment, I do not expect lap babies to get the same treatment. I merely said that it would be nice if they did.

As I said, this is inside info yet to be announced. This is the date that I have been told. You can take it as you will, I would trust this person with my life and if this is what they were told, then I will believe it until told otherwise. I'm just trying to help you guys with info that may be important to you.

As to the other comment, I do not expect lap babies to get the same treatment. I merely said that it would be nice if they did.

I just spoke with AA and the rep hasn't heard any change of the such. She then put me on hold and passed me on to a manager who again hasn't heard anything of the such..... Not sure who your inside source is but appartently they seem to be the only ones who know of this policy change.... AA isn't going to drop the bomb on thier customers merely a few days before this is supposely going to take affect....

I have a lap baby, so he doesn't get a checked bag:( , which really does make it difficult when you have to pack enough diapers, food, clothes, some entertainment, bobby, etc for a baby for 2 weeks. Plus you only get one carry on and a personal item (a diaper bag counts as one of the two) because babies don't get carry ons. It would be a lot easier if lap babies got the same status as other passengers! :)

Well, ok, if it's just you and the baby, I'm thinking that $10.00 for another suitcase doesn't sound bad.

How could anyone expect that a lap baby who is NOT paying for the service that the airline is providing to paying passengers, receive the same status????

Agreed! It seems only proper that carryon and checked bag allowances are for fare-paying passengers. Lappers can only be so til age 2 ... so, at some point in the near future, the toddler will have the same status as other paying customers.

We've flown southwest many times (as well as United/AA), and not once, when we've gate checked our stroller have they EVER linked it to our ressie?!?!

We simply ask for a ticket for the stroller, and they give it to us, we fill out the info and they put it on the stroller. I've never seen anyone look us up or add it to our "total" baggage or anything.

It will be interesting to see if this changes with all of the new policies and such.

Just saw this re: American - Starting with tickets purchased after 5/12....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/04/28/american.airlines.bags.ap/index.html

Thank you! I was just about to post this as vindication!

Also, I didn't say that I expect lap babies to receive the same status, for the record. I just said it would be nice, but if I'm not paying for him to fly I don't expect that he be given all the same privileges.

Also, I didn't say that I expect lap babies to receive the same status, for the record. I just said it would be nice, but if I'm not paying for him to fly I don't expect that he be given all the same privileges.

Interestingly enough, with AA's new baggage fees, they give certain exceptions to their baggage policy for lap children - specifically for things like strollers and car seats.

Just got an email from Vacations to Go outlining the latest in airline policies. It states:

Escalating fuel costs are also having a negative impact on airlines, and in response, several major carriers have announced additional fees and restrictions on checked baggage.

Beginning in May and with some exceptions, Continental, Delta, Northwest, United and US Airways will assess a $25 charge when passengers check a second bag on domestic flights (US Airways' fee will apply to international flights as well). This fee applies to each leg of travel, so customers will pay $50 on a second checked bag for roundtrip flights.

There is more within the e-mail detailing the special exceptions for Elite/Business travelers. Do you guys want me to copy/paste the whole thing?

CeleBrat

American just added the info to their site today. Fortunately, car seats and strollers do not count towards your two bag limit - they can be checked as additional items for no charge. Keep in mind - if you did not buy a ticket for your baby, you get zero baggage allowance for them.

If you booked your ticket before May 12, you do not have to pay the extra fees. There are lots of other exceptions, too.

Archived