Experiences using credit cards in ports in S. Carib.?

jb008

I know that technically this should probably go under the ports section, but since it's specific to Princess' Southern Caribbean Explorer itinerary (and it seems foolish to post to 4 different threads when one may do).

Credit cards are generally accepted in ports right?

Specific ports of concern:

St. Kitts

Grenada

Bonaire

Aruba

I was fine last cruise (Cozumel, Cayman Islands) but I'm starting to get those last minute jitters about stuff.

Thanks!

Not sure about St. Kitt, but we just got back form the other ports and used our credit card (Visa) on all of the other islands you have mentioned and also St. Thomas. No problems.

One hint that we were given is that I carry one card and my DH carry another card from another lending instiute in case one gets stolen or lost your now high and dry without any cards or cash!

Personally, I don't use credit cards on the islands. Am I being too cautious - PROBABLY - but I don't want to leave my credit card info in a foreign location. Yes, you can have the same situations at home, but at least it's in the U.S.

This is just me and my comfort level. I use cash at all ports of call. I don't want any bar or little shop to have may credit card info.

For what it's worth - JMHO! :)

I know that technically this should probably go under the ports section, but since it's specific to Princess' Southern Caribbean Explorer itinerary (and it seems foolish to post to 4 different threads when one may do).

St. Kitts

Grenada

Bonaire

Aruba

I was fine last cruise (Cozumel, Cayman Islands) but I'm starting to get those last minute jitters about stuff.

Thanks!

Nearly all major merchants and restaurants will be delighted to accept your credit card. :)

When it's applicable, you'll often get the best exchange rate with a cc, just as in Europe. Also, most merchants take US dollars. However, that may soon change if it continues to decline.

Thank you, Ben Bernanke!!:mad:

BTW - I purchased a gold necklace at Kay's Jewelry in Aruba. It was a B'Day gift so I mentioned to the clerk: "Glad this is a Kay's. We have a Kay's at home. She could exchange it if there's a problem, right?" He replied that their Kay's is a completely different company. Who Knew? :p

I would suggest you notify your credit card company of your travel dates and islands you intend to visit so there won't be any problems when attempting to use your card.

Last year in St. Kitts, when attempting to use our AmEx card, instead of the sale being approved the merchant received a call card issuer message. AmEx needed to confirm it was me using the card. The merchant was nice enough to allow me to use their phone, the sale was approved and we were on our way. Notifying AmEx prior to the cruise would have saved us this minor hassle.

Lew

We have used Amex in these ports with no problems. Have secured our tours with Jolly Pirates in Aruba over the internet with Visa, no problem.

What we like about Amex is that where you are charging makes the transaction with Amex in their currency, then they convert it into dollars at the Amex rate.

And, if you don't have anything planned in Aruba, Jolly Pirates is a wonderful snorkel trip. We did it as a ship excursion with HAL, but it wasn't offered with Princess, so we booked direct with them.

What we like about Amex is that where you are charging makes the transaction with Amex in their currency, then they convert it into dollars at the Amex rate.

Every time I have seen the charge slip (not necessarily Axex) have the price converted into American dollars, it has been at a very unfavorable exchange rate. This is a new trick by merchants/banks to extract more money from the tourist.

And that is before the up to 3% foreign purchase/currency conversion charge that most credit catds add to the purchase.

(By the way, CapitalOne is the only credit card I know of that does not add a foreign purchase/currency conversion charge to charges made out of country.)

I have used my M/C for many foreign purchases and have never seen anything other than the exchange rate conversion. The amount charged by the merchant is always the exact amount of the purchase. Then the conversion from US/or whichever currency, to Canadian funds.

Perhaps different when using a Canadian card??

Beware of using your CC to make a pay phone call - we were in St. Maarten in January and saw a pay phone for credit cards with an advertised rate to US of $1.50 a minute. We spoke on the phone for about 3 minutes. Got a charge for $34.95 for the call and $1.95 for the conenction fee. No leg to stand on in order to defend the charges with the CC companuy as we obviously did not have a receipt from the payphone. DO NOT USE YOUR CC TO MAKE A CALL - BUY A PRE-PAID CALLING CARD!!!!!!

I would suggest you notify your credit card company of your travel dates and islands you intend to visit so there won't be any problems when attempting to use your card.

Last year in St. Kitts, when attempting to use our AmEx card, instead of the sale being approved the merchant received a call card issuer message. AmEx needed to confirm it was me using the card. The merchant was nice enough to allow me to use their phone, the sale was approved and we were on our way. Notifying AmEx prior to the cruise would have saved us this minor hassle.

Lew

Of all the responses, this is the best one. We always call the credit card companies regardless if we are taking the cards with us or not.

Really not much sense in taking more than one credit card in addition to the one you use for your shipboard account. The others, leave at home in a secure place.

Reason for calling all companies is twofold. First of all, as mentioned in the quote above, you should let the card company know that you are traveling with this card and visiting the ports/countries on your itinerary. That way they will have a record if the card pops up suspiciously (sp?) and will know to authorize the transaction. The reason for calling the cards you are not taking is that it might be possible that someone might get a hold of the account numbers and try to use the card in your local environment. This activity wouldn't alert the card company and would be a mess when you get back.

It only takes a minute to notify them and will save you problems on your voyage and when you get back.

As for the probable intent of your question. All the ports and countries you mentioned love to have you shop and use a card. Stick with the major ones like Visa and MC. Choose the best one for any exchange rate costs, etc.

Unless the purchase is very large, we always use cash instead of credit cards. First for security and second for bargaining power, particularly in a flea market atmosphere. I have found that I get the lowest price by saying cash, no credit card. For ATMs, we use only ATMs at banks. The cash seems quite safe on the ship in the safe. In some cities, just take out what you need for the day or for a day or two.Based on experiences of friends, we don't let our credit cards out of our sight, i.e. restaurants. One couple we know had someone ring up a $10,000 charge for some jewelry in Koala Lampur on their cc. They figured out that it had to be from a restaurant in New York City. The cc company called them after they had gotten home and the charge was removedl. Now I must say, we are considering getting a Capitol One CC for Europe where they don't take American Express. Will use ATMs tho where we can tho.

And that is before the up to 3% foreign purchase/currency conversion charge that most credit catds add to the purchase.

(By the way, CapitalOne is the only credit card I know of that does not add a foreign purchase/currency conversion charge to charges made out of country.)

I have never had any sort of charge added to my Amex charges out of the country and the conversion rate has been exactly what the current rate was for the time period.:confused:

Mike:)

I have never had any sort of charge added to my Amex charges out of the country and the conversion rate has been exactly what the current rate was for the time period.:confused:

Mike:)

The charge (usually one or two percent) is included in the $$ you see on the bill. It is not listed separately. If you call the 800 number on the back of your AMEX card, they will verify that they do this.

On our last cruise, we used our Amex in Puerto Vallarta, it was last month at Wal-Mart (don't laugh, I had gotten sick and needed an OTC I didn't have in my bags). They gave us the most favorable exchange of the day, and we did not pay anything extra to Amex, or Walmart. I'd guess every card is a little different. It wasn't the So Caribbean, but we have used it there too.

St. Kitts

Grenada

Bonaire

Aruba

Thanks!

I was in St. Kitts, Grenada and Aruba last week. I was in Bonaire in December. Credit cards are accepted at most stores. The smaller operator, street vendors, taxis, etc. do not always accept credit card.

There are ATM on board most cruise ships. All the ports mentioned have banks on shore as well (mind you, most the banks I saw were Canadian or Caribbean). You should be able to get money at either location. The banks used Cirrus, so if your bank supports that you can get money.

If you want to buy some spices/chocolate in Grenada or a dive shirt in Bonaire, you'll have more selection and better pricing if you bring US Dollars. Only some places take credit card but everyone takes US Dollars.

Most things are a few bucks to maybe $20. I usually bring $500 cash. Anything I have left over gets saved for the next Carribean cruise.

Lew

This is a good suggestion. Mind you, last time I didn't tell my credit card company the same thing happened to me. A simple call to the credit card company from the store and the sale went through. Was actually quite painless.

I would never trust using a credit card but I know lots of people who do. You better tell your credit card company ahead of time or they may put a block on it and sometimes if you use it to establish credit onboard, they put a hold on a large sum of money.

The places you will be going really won't have the best shopping. Aruba is about the best one and we didn't find anything there outstanding. St Thomas wins in the shopping catagory for sure. We use credit cards there if we are running low on cash.

Archived