19-day Panama Canal - an honest review

mauiedin87

Overall, this was a very nice cruise, our 14th. But it had a few flaws. Being quite a different itinerary, L.A. to L.A., it was booked solid and the Island Princess always seemed crowded, except on port days. The food and service were very good, although the waiters often seemed overworked. However, special diets were given very special attention and a couple of times we were even able to order something that was not on the menu. The choices were enormous, even for a pre-diabetic. Many people ate far more than they probably ever do at home, but it was so tempting and so beautifully presented.

The crew, from the lowliest crew-member on up were friendly and helpful and very patient, something definitely needed with the demographic on board being very largely older seniors (average age was 71), most of them much-traveled and sometimes very demanding. Only 5 children on board.

The ocean was very calm the entire trip. Our balcony cabin on Dolphin Deck very forward was wonderfully quiet and restful. The egg-crate mattress topper we had requested 2 months head of time made for restful sleep the entire trip.

We're into Latin dancing and assumed that with this being a Panama Canal and Central America trip, there might be some Latin dance music in the lounges. But VERY few people danced (most used the dance floor to walk across on the way to a show!). The bands often played to empty chairs and tables. They knew little besides Waltz and Foxtrot, some Swing and an occasional Chacha. Even a Rumba was hard to get, but by the end of the cruise the bands knew what we liked and made an effort to please the few of us who actually danced. The ship's dance instructor taught Merengue and Salsa classes, but that never translated to the bands either...

Now to the excursions/port stops.

Cabo San Lucas had grown even more over the last few years and we merely walked into town for a little while.

Acapulco probably has the most chaotic traffic in Mexico, but once we were out of the city and on the Tropical Birds and Botanical Garden tour, it was beautiful. Definitely worth it.

Huatulco, Mexico. The Highlights Tour was excellent. It offered a lot and we loved it. Definitely a place to go back to for a week's stay.

Puntarenas, Costa Rica. We love this country and its people. The Eco-Jungle Adventure was excellent and a photographer's paradise, highly recommended. The open shops on the beach have decent prices and no aggressive hassling. Good selection of coffees, the country's main export.

Panama Canal. As exciting the second time as it was the first. Perfect weather and great views from the bow of the Caribe Deck, from Deck 7 outside and the Patisserie windows. The jungle right up to the water was blooming in many different colors, again, a photographer's dream.

Puerto Amador, Panama. We cancelled the aireal tram tour and regretted that. We just rode the tender to the Amador Marine and shopping mall to buy more of the beautiful Cuna Indian "Molas" at very affordable prices.

Puerto Corinto, Nicaragua. A very very poor port, with some children and women begging. Comparing the luxury of the ship and the port's poverty was a reality check!

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala. We love Guatemala. Very nice people and a gorgeous country. We took the Auto Chapin Animal Reserve Tour which was beyond our wildest expectations. After returning, there was time to take the free red and white shuttle bus to the open-air shopping area 10 minutes from the dock. Definitely worth it!!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico. Just as charming as before, with a beautiful bay.

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. The Fiesta and Tequila Tour was another great one. The Tequila tasting was hilarious, the Ballet Folklorico was gorgeous, the lasso dancer wonderful, as was the dancing Arabian horse.

Back to L.A. - Very civilized disembarkation at 7 am, again only 20 minutes. The new system really works. But some of the "walk-off, self-help" passengers were a little over-confident in how much luggage they could manage themselves.

Overall impression: Wonderful experience, but after 19 days, the veneer of civilization begins to wear a little thin and crowd behavior becomes quite interesting for this inveterate "people watcher".

For more details, e-mail me at mara@wbhsi.net.

WE also were on the April 21 sailing of the Island to the Panama Canal; and after sailing the Diamond to Hawaii only 3 months ago, we were extremely disappointed in many aspects of the Island. I would like to preface this by saying we absolutely LOVED the Diamond and just about everything about it. We were definitely hoping for a similar love affair with the Island. However, it was not to be. Our major complaint regarding the Island is we found the quality and preparation of the cuisine to be substandard for Princess. We sailed the Regal last August to Hawaii and found they also were far, far superior to the Island. In addition, we found the service in the Anytime Dining Room on the Island to be awful. And yet, our AD experience on the Diamond was wonderful. Go figure.

Being quite a different itinerary, L.A. to L.A., it was booked solid and the Island Princess always seemed crowded, except on port days.
Wow - given Island Princess' space ratio is about 47 (unless they've added a hundred cabins or so when I was on board) it's hard to believe that she seemed crowded. When I sailed her to Hawaii she was booked solid as well - and during sea days we'd wander around wondering where everyone was.

Wow - given Island Princess' space ratio is about 47 (unless they've added a hundred cabins or so when I was on board) it's hard to believe that she seemed crowded. When I sailed her to Hawaii she was booked solid as well - and during sea days we'd wander around wondering where everyone was.

I agree with you. If you want crowded, try the Grand over Christmas break. The Island is very spacious compared to some of the other ships.

We were definitely hoping for a similar love affair with the Island. However, it was not to be. Our major complaint regarding the Island is we found the quality and preparation of the cuisine to be substandard for Princess. We sailed the Regal last August to Hawaii and found they also were far, far superior to the Island.

Unfortunately, the Regal was the last of the old school (read Sitmar) service. My room steward on my Regal Panama canal cruise brought me chocolate croissants in bed every morning. I don't think I will ever see that again.:( I really thought the food on the Island was good to excellent, but maybe the ship has a different head chef now than when I sailed her last May.

I enjoyed reading your review. We had a nice mini suite booked for that cruise... but changed it for the South Pacific later this year.

We've been on the Island Princess before and enjoyed the ship.

So... I would love to hear more about the entertainment, the shows, cruise director, etc... Did they have anyone doing lectures?

Glad to hear it was a great cruise!

mike

We just got off the Coral-sister to the Island and it also was booked solid. the only time it felt crowded was in the Horizon Court. The two ships are my favorites since the Regal is gone.

Thank you very much for the review. We have just convinced my in-laws to book this cruise in September and it will be their first so we really want them to have a great time. My FIL is diabetic so your comments about special diets are very reassuring. Any advice you have that I could pass on to them about menu selections would be most welcome.

Several couples we spoke to while on the Island, claimed that the chef had indeed changed this year. They reported that the food on the Island last year was much, much better. Just the luck of the draw, I guess.

I agree with you. If you want crowded, try the Grand over Christmas break. The Island is very spacious compared to some of the other ships.

Unfortunately, the Regal was the last of the old school (read Sitmar) service. My room steward on my Regal Panama canal cruise brought me chocolate croissants in bed every morning. I don't think I will ever see that again.:( I really thought the food on the Island was good to excellent, but maybe the ship has a different head chef now than when I sailed her last May.

I miss Regal Princess and the Sitmar influence :( As you say, the food on Island Princess was good to excellent last May, but they do rotate chefs...maybe she's got a bad one.

We were also on the 19 day Panama Cruise on Island. We honestly didn't feel crowded at all. We were on this cruise with my folks and we all commented about the spacious feeling of the ship. I have to admit we are early risers. My husband and I were usually up by 6:30a doing laps on the Promenade. The ship is so quiet at that time of the morning. Anyway, I often wondered where all the people were. We never had any problems finding loungers around the Lotus pool. The thermal suite (we had bought a pass) was empty...we only shared it on one day. We sat and read outside Wheelhouse lounge or on the Promenade deck, we never had any problems finding a seat.

Now the food...I was disappointed here. The Beef Wellington was inedible. the only outstanding food we had was at our ultimate balcony dinner, and the rack of lamb was outstanding. the salad bar at horizon court was good, so that is usually what I had for lunch, I also enjoyed the guacamole, salsa and chips that were in horizon court each afternoon. Thankfully for me, the food doesn't make or break a cruise for me, but I was disappointed and mentioned it on our final evaluation, even though they remind you that you should rate it "excellent", I didn't.

mikjr,the cruise director was great, but he was leaving Island after our cruise, so I don't know who is usually on Island. We enjoyed the shows that we went to. In fact one of our cruise critic friends was on the cruise to visit her son, the production manager. So we were invited to a private behind the scenes tour, very nice. There seemed to be lots of live music being played at several venues. As for lectures....this was another disappointment. They did have a lecture series on aging many mornings in Wheelhouse (before trivia)which was very well attended. However, I tried to attend the lecture on Costa Rica history and the speaker was horrible. I walked out early, but I understand many many followed me.I saved all the Patters, so let me know if you have any other questions.

There were definately some "hiccups" with this cruise, but I would do it again without giving it a second thought.

To answer your question about menu selections for a diabetic, it was very easy to "eat around" the problem foods. Let Princess know on the cruise personalizer that your FIL is diabetic, that's very important.

I've avoided simple carbs for several years now (and have lost 30 lbs in the process), so I stuck with all the vegetable selections and avoided the bread basket entirely. I often ordered from the Spa menu (on the left side of the general dinner menu), but when I felt I'd had too much fish, I'd order the fabulous spinach turnovers as a main dish. Another thing I avoided was the cold soups. They were often sweetened too much. I mainly stuck with fruit for dessert, but the sugar-free desserts, such as the various mousses, were very good, the chocolate one especially. In the dining room at noon (we never ate in the buffet) they had wonderful and exotic frozen yogurt for dessert, like mango, or passionfruit f.ex. The head-waiter gave me the next evening's menu each evening, so I was able to pre-order. He was also extremely helpful in making suggestions and even coming up with dishes that were never on the menu (like great curry!). Still, it takes self-control and determination not to "fall off the wagon". I did a few times and my glucometer reading went far too high, so I paid attention again. (And lost 6 lbs on this cruise!).:)

To answer your question about menu selections for a diabetic, it was very easy to "eat around" the problem foods. Let Princess know on the cruise personalizer that your FIL is diabetic, that's very important.

I've avoided simple carbs for several years now (and have lost 30 lbs in the process), so I stuck with all the vegetable selections and avoided the bread basket entirely. I often ordered from the Spa menu (on the left side of the general dinner menu), but when I felt I'd had too much fish, I'd order the fabulous spinach turnovers as a main dish. Another thing I avoided was the cold soups. They were often sweetened too much. I mainly stuck with fruit for dessert, but the sugar-free desserts, such as the various mousses, were very good, the chocolate one especially. In the dining room at noon (we never ate in the buffet) they had wonderful and exotic frozen yogurt for dessert, like mango, or passionfruit f.ex. The head-waiter gave me the next evening's menu each evening, so I was able to pre-order. He was also extremely helpful in making suggestions and even coming up with dishes that were never on the menu (like great curry!). Still, it takes self-control and determination not to "fall off the wagon". I did a few times and my glucometer reading went far too high, so I paid attention again. (And lost 6 lbs on this cruise!).:)

Thank you so much. This is very helpful information. One of the reasons we have had such a hard time convincing my in-laws to cruise is due to my FIL's diabetes. They both worried that it would be too detrimental to his diet. I will print your response and share it with them as I know they will find it very reassuring.

Thanks again and congrats on losing 6 lbs!:)

Here are a few more comments that might be helpful to somebody:

When you book shore excursions, and you get the tickets in your cabin, note the time you are supposed to meet the tour and where. Then get there half an hour earlier!!! Lines start forming much earlier than you think. When the ship arrives in a port late, and disembarkation clearance is given late, you may wind up being among several hundred people standing in line all up and down the cabin hallways, snaking around the atrium up and down the stairs etc. You may not even be able to get off the elevator, because there's noplace to put your feet.This happened in Puerto Vallarta and it was a nightmare. Never been claustrophobic but I got close.:(

Princess has embarkation and disembarkation down better than anybody.

BUT, if you elect Self Help Disembarkation, be absolutely and totally sure you can handle your luggage yourself. One woman behind us lost her balance on the down escalator passing through Customs in L.A. and hit her head very hard. She was behind us somewhere, so we don't know if she was o.k. An older man just ahead of us on the escalator was teetering precariously, but he managed to hang on.:eek:

And again - underpack, and then take out some more stuff! We did quite o.k. with ONE large suitcase per couple and ONE medium carry-on for 19 days. I did three loads of laundry (same as I would at home). I have to admit I could have used another pair of shoes, I only packed 3.:D

Just another big thanks for the review - we are booked on this 18 day itinerary on the ISLAND this September and am looking forward to it very much. We have one of the "bump out" balconies mid ships facing forward - knowing we sacrafice some balcony space for a wrap around view.

Its interesting getting peoples perspectives on the "crowds' we sailed the Golden during Christmas week last year and we too sometimes wondered where everyone was - your statement about bands playing to empty rooms rang so true!

We did the Dawn a few years back from San Francisco and THAT was crowded!

Thanks again for your review

We didnt think it crowded either, the buffet was around meal times, but the other areas of the ship weren't. We spent many hours around the lido pool and there were always loungers available.

We had first dining and personally would not do that again as we often missed it due to Shore excursions getting back later or sometimes the weather is so good, 5.45 was just too early to head indoors. We could still go to anytime dining, which we did a few times.

We did not think the food was very good either. The service was good.

All in all it was a great trip, great group of ccers, I would recommend chiming in and meeting your fellow cruise mates, I know we have made some very good friends.

Overall impression: Wonderful experience, but after 19 days, the veneer of civilization begins to wear a little thin and crowd behavior becomes quite interesting for this inveterate "people watcher".

You sound just like my husband. He can do two cruises B2B with no problem...20 nights total, 23 nights total, even 26 nights total. But put him on a single cruise longer than 14 nights and the passenger dynamics start to get to him. Of course, it didn't help that we had fights breaking out over theater seats, dryers, and elevator buttons. He says never again for a single cruise over 14 nights.

Archived