Grills or the big restaurant

Naiad

So, here's my understanding of how it works:

One may dine down a grade (or two or three), space permitting.

One may dine up a grade (or two or three), if invited by someone dining there, space permitting, and potentially subject to a "fee" assessed to the party in that grade.

This is just my understanding from conversation and perusal of these boards.

I did mean that the gander would be guests of the geese, not that they would just fly in uninvited.

When the goose is paying five or six times what the gander is paying they are not equal. It's one thing for a QG passenger to go down to Britannia which seats 1300 people and ask to be seated. Quite another to come to a restaurant which seats 200, and for which you have not paid, and ask to have dinner.

Well, let's be accurate here. The 5/6 times may be accurate if you include the larger room dimensions and extra services. Based solely on the cost of an additional adult in the cabin (for food) on a typical 2009 voyage, the results are as follows - PG = 2X Brit; QG = 2.5X Brit.

Somewhere, and I'm not sure where, I believe I read that on any given day the menu in the Britannia Restaurant and the menu in the Grills are very much the same, with the exception of maybe one or two more choices in the Grills. Is that correct?

Breakfast is much more elaborate in the Grills (lamb chops, filet mignon, etc). Lunch is identical most days. Dinner in the grills is usually a better version of what Brittania has. For instance, Brittania will have sirloin while QG will have filet mignon. Or the entrees will just be more...complicated, if you get my drift, different sauces and sides. And there are usually a couple more choices for each course. Plus in QG you have that a la carte menu (which saved us a few nights when nothing sounded good to us). The Canyon Ranch spa selection is the same in every category.

I would like to add that all meals in the Grills are individually cooked to order verses Britannia where each entree is already cooked and sitting under a warmer ready to be picked up by the waiters. Also, most of the ala carte items such as meat and fish etc, are prepared over a flame table side and these are available anytime. Many times your choice of vegetables are served 'silver service' also table side.

If you ever have a craving for a special dish no matter what it is (perhaps something you remember enjoying years ago), just inform the Maitre d' in advance and he will do his best to prepare it for you no matter what. I've never been told "no". Queens Grill is a little more accommodating with this but in Princess it never seems to be an issue.

The Grills are such a different experience - quiet and elegant without the clattering of dishes and the murmur of a thousand other diners.

Thank you for all of the helpful insights. In some of the posts, it sounds like QE2 might be an option. However, I thought only the Queen Mary 2 did crossings these days. My brother tells me that I have been on the QE2 but apparently I spent the voyage in the nursery. It might be fun to do a trip that one could remember.

In reply to JP2001:

. . . .But then I realized that since you are thinking about booking the Grills (Princess Grill or Queens Grill? I think it could make a difference?), you are probably wealthy and used to the best things in life (such as hotel suites, best restaurants, etc.) and if it is the case, I’m not 100% sure you would be happy with Britannia Dining Room (I’ve never sailed Cunard and I’m definitely not implying that it’s not good) because it’s probably prepared in bulk while the Grills have more made-to-order items. I have only sailed on NCL and thought their food was quite good so I guess I am no expert even if I live in Quebec City (we are renowned for good food).

Also, if you are traveling with a friend, will you each have your own room or will you share a room? The rooms are definitely bigger in Grills category.

It’s a lot of things to think about.

Also, if you want to be sure to have someone close to your age for dinner, I will be happy to share a table with you if you pay for my cabin (of course, I’m just kidding). :D

If we go with the Grills, it would probably be Queens Grill because I do not like to do things halfway.

I have been known to mix with the masses from time to time. :D I had a fine time on Explorer of the Seas in their big dining room. Actually, if I thought that the Grills were going to be full of snobs (food snobs or otherwise), I would definitely take the Britannia.

Quebec City does have very nice food. :)

The size of the cabin needed is another dilema. We were fine in a balcony cabin on Explorer but there were a couple of port days on that voyage. A bigger room might be better so we don't strangle each other. It is thus helpful to learn that if one wants a bigger stateroom that one is not tied to the Grills.

Again, thank you very much.

• 1 month later...

There most certainly is a difference in room service between Grills and non grill, especially for breakfast. In non grill you can only order a continental style breakfast. In Grills you can order hot breakfasts and specify anything you want. In QG you can order off the QG menu to be delivered to your cabin.

I am considering sailing on the QM2 for my wife's birthday in December.

I would like to do a suite for the extra room, but based on what I am reading in this thread, I am not sure I want to dine in the grills.

They sound a little too particular for my tastes.

We also like tables for 6 or 8 so we can meet other well traveled, interesting people with whom we can have lilvely conversations and who won't nod off during dinner.

How active and interesting are the average tablemates in the QG and PG?

Other than the Britannia, what other options are available?

We prefer arrangements where we dine with the same people most nights so the conversation can move beyond, name, hometown, occupation, etc.

Recommendations?

We have only been on QM2 once and we were in a B3 (sheltered balcony cabin on Deck 5), so I can only extend to you our experiences. We asked for a table for eight in the Britannia Restaurant, late sitting. Dinner begins at 8:30 which we had done many times on other ships, but it was nearly 10:45 when dinner was concluding and we were missing most of the festivities in the Queens Room (in particular the Black and White Ball). We decided to switch to the early sitting and sat with two lovely couples, one from Australia and the other Scotland.

On three different nights we took advantage of the alternative restaurants and all three were outstanding. The Todd English costs thirty dollars for dinner and the food and service was excellent. We also went to the Piazza Restaurant which is located in the King's Court and becomes an alternative Italian restaurant on some evenings. The food and service was excellent and it was a wonderful evening. The last night we ate at the Chef's Galley which on that night served Asian food. The Chef cooks the complete meal in front of you--very unique and enjoyable. Reservations must be made for all three restaurants, but we had no difficulty making them.

I can say our experience with the Britannia Restaurant and the alternative restaurants was a very enjoyable one and I would definitely do it again.

There most certainly is a difference in room service between Grills and non grill, especially for breakfast. In non grill you can only order a continental style breakfast. In Grills you can order hot breakfasts and specify anything you want. In QG you can order off the QG menu to be delivered to your cabin.

I sailed in steerage (D3) on a QM2 Caribbean cruise in February (08). Either the travel docs or the Cunard website suggested that the room service breakfast choices were limited to cold alternatives (other than coffee and tea). However, the actual room service menu in our cabin did include some hot items (e.g., eggs and bacon). I have no doubt that the Grills room service breakfast choices are more numerous. Those who pay the Grills prices should get something for their money - and this steerage pax very much appreciates the Grills pax subsidizing my not as lavish, but still thoroughly delightful, voyage!

Archived