Grills or the big restaurant

Naiad

I've been working in the states for several months but am going home for a visit in July. I quite like cruising and thought it might be fun to sail back to the states after the visit. (Yes, yes, I understand it is not like a cruise but the formality on Cunard sounds fun and I can be fairly presentable if I work at it). What I wanted to know is whether there will be people my age (26) in the Grill restaurants?

In addition, my impression from the photos that I have seen is that there are just small tables in the Grills and you just sit with the people that you are traveling with. I'll probably be traveling with an old friend from school but we see each other all the time and it would be more fun if we could meet some new faces. Would the larger restaurant be better?

I've been working in the states for several months but am going home for a visit in July. I quite like cruising and thought it might be fun to sail back to the states after the visit. (Yes, yes, I understand it is not like a cruise but the formality on Cunard sounds fun and I can be fairly presentable if I work at it). What I wanted to know is whether there will be people my age (26) in the Grill restaurants?

In addition, my impression from the photos that I have seen is that there are just small tables in the Grills and you just sit with the people that you are traveling with. I'll probably be traveling with an old friend from school but we see each other all the time and it would be more fun if we could meet some new faces. Would the larger restaurant be better?

You can request a larger table in both. You would be at the younger end of the spectrum in the Grills (but also in Mauretania or Britannia, and onboard, for that matter!). But, you would also likely get along just great with your tablemates, who would be happy, I am sure, to have someone of a younger age to round out the group. Have a great trip, if you choose to!

Guest Anorak33

Last time I was in QG I was seated with others ( "strangers") on a table for 6.

It was a slightly strange and eclectic mix, and not of our choice.

There was us, and two couples, one of each was in a wheelchair and could not speak, and of the two carers one was a strict and impossible to please vegetarian.

Not the liveliest table we have ever been at ( !!!! ) but we stuck it out to the end, all 14 days.

Strangely we never kept in touch with any of them.............just nothing in common I guess.

I'm not a Cunard expert, but my understanding is your restaurant is determined by the grade of cabin you book. While I suppose you could book Grill class and dine in the large restaurant, although unless dining with friends, I would think that showing up without an assigned table would throw the staff into confusion...You can't dine in Grill unless you are traveling Grill. EM

Guest Anorak33
What I wanted to know is whether there will be people my age (26) in the Grill restaurants?

Yes, some of the wait staff maybe.................

Yes, QG passengers can dine anywhere they like on the ship. PG passengers can dine anywhere except QG. If you are seated at a table and are unhappy with your table mates all it takes is a discreet word to the maitre d' and you will be moved. I see no point in booking QG and dining in Brittania. The reason you pay so much more for QG is the restaurant, food, service etc. in addition to the bigger cabins.

I would advise you to book either the Caronia or Mauretania restuarant. You would most likely be the youngest in the Grills (other than some grandchildren traveling with their grandparents). You should probably ask for a large table as well.

wripro

that's an interesting comment re if you are QG grade on QM2 you can dine anyhwhere you like.

On my last cruise on QE2 last October, I was in the QG Restaurant & some friends & I wanted to dine in the Princess Grill one night to which we got a sorry it's full reply from our MD & then I thought I'd ask for lunch one day! No again!!

I was not very happy re this at all!! especially as back in 2005 I made a similar request & we were accommodated no problem for dinner in the Princess Grill!!! I complained up my return to Cunard UK but was advised that unfortunately as the ship is sailing full these days & in her final year it is increasingly difficult to grant such requests!

I will also on my next & last cruise on QE2 in a month's time ask to dine in the Britannia Grill - the only Restaurant I've not dined in onboard & see how this request is met!!

It might work on QM2 but not so it seems on QE2!

Kind Regarsd,

RJMS74

The chance to meet agemates or at least younger than average people is of cause greater in the big restaurants. The Maitre d´will (in my case he really did) also care for that you´ll be seated at a table with as "suitable" companionship as possible. Unless you´re booking very late, you hardly will find yourself be seated at a table of only 80-year-olds, or as a young man at a table full of 50+ female single travellers. ;)

On my recent QE2 experience half of the people at my table didn´t show up one evening due to seasickness or to a change in the seating time. The Maitre d´, without even been asked, approached me wether I´d like a new table, and I changed the next day, ending up with very humourous, sympathetic people which made every diner a lot of fun. :)

If you´re travelling alone, be sure to be seated at a 6-seat table or bigger.

wripro

that's an interesting comment re if you are QG grade on QM2 you can dine anyhwhere you like.

On my last cruise on QE2 last October, I was in the QG Restaurant & some friends & I wanted to dine in the Princess Grill one night to which we got a sorry it's full reply from our MD & then I thought I'd ask for lunch one day! No again!!

I was not very happy re this at all!! especially as back in 2005 I made a similar request & we were accommodated no problem for dinner in the Princess Grill!!! I complained up my return to Cunard UK but was advised that unfortunately as the ship is sailing full these days & in her final year it is increasingly difficult to grant such requests!

I will also on my next & last cruise on QE2 in a month's time ask to dine in the Britannia Grill - the only Restaurant I've not dined in onboard & see how this request is met!!

It might work on QM2 but not so it seems on QE2!

Kind Regarsd,

RJMS74

What would you have them do, push the PG or BG patrons to Caronia or Mauretania? Or swap them onto your table in QG? What is so "suspicious" about the staff indicating the room is full when the ship is? Why did you feel the need to complain to HQ? For the upcoming cruises, why not try to arrange in advance of departure (assuming you can choose a date in advance)? There should be an open table or two, but it is also very likely that others had the same request before you...

When I am paying top dollar or sterling in my case for a cruise & a small request cannot be accommodated yes I became somewhat annoyed!! as did my dining companions - to further add the friends who wanted to join me in the Princess Grill were very keen to try this as they were not impressed with the service in the QUeens Grill & we met other friends who were in the PG Restaurant who joined us for drinks each evening in the QG lounge and who rated this Restaurant very highly.

I clearly do not expect to take someone else's table but as it is single seating in the Grills and especially during lunch time when not everyone takes lunch I was not impressed with not being able to accommodate my small request albeit that I am also a regular in his Restaurant on QE2!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

I wish I had this kind of dilemma but I don’t. I’m 29 years old and it has been my dream to be on a Transatlantic crossing for a few years now but even the less expensive inside cabin would be a huge treat for myself (I would probably sail solo, which doubles the cost in itself).

I tried to put myself in your shoes and first I thought I would prefer Britannia Dining Room instead of the Grills for the only reason that the Maître d’hôtel (Head waiter) could find people around my age for diner. (Not that I don’t like to be in the presence of older people, I enjoy their company tremendously, but it would be a way to get to know the other ‘’younger’’ people onboard).

But then I realized that since you are thinking about booking the Grills (Princess Grill or Queens Grill? I think it could make a difference?), you are probably wealthy and used to the best things in life (such as hotel suites, best restaurants, etc.) and if it is the case, I’m not 100% sure you would be happy with Britannia Dining Room (I’ve never sailed Cunard and I’m definitely not implying that it’s not good) because it’s probably prepared in bulk while the Grills have more made-to-order items. I have only sailed on NCL and thought their food was quite good so I guess I am no expert even if I live in Quebec City (we are renowned for good food).

Also, if you are traveling with a friend, will you each have your own room or will you share a room? The rooms are definitely bigger in Grills category.

It’s a lot of things to think about.

Also, if you want to be sure to have someone close to your age for dinner, I will be happy to share a table with you if you pay for my cabin (of course, I’m just kidding). :D

rjms74,

On one of my crossings on the QM2 I was in PGH and we had friends in QG. We had dinner in QG and they joined us in PG without a problem at all. Of course, we all knew both maitre d's from a previous crossing so they smoothed everything. Still a polite request should not be turned down if made far enough in advance.

Does anyone know if it is possible to join friends for dinner in the Queen"s Grill restaurant or the Princess Grill Restaurant if you are a Britannia Restaurant patron?

I don’t have first hand experience on this but I read many times on these boards that it is not allowed and I completely understand why.

As a regular traveller on QE2 l always thought when you booked a Cunard cruise you were assigned a restaurant and that was your place for the duration. So whats with requests to dine else where? other cruise lines call is freestyle dining.

RJMS had the Maitre D granted your request, this opens the floodgates for others to choose oh lets dine there tomorrow, and before you know it, where would you all be, perhaps others had asked and just accepted the No word.

How would you feel if you came to lunch in the Queens Grill and found your seats taken, lm sure you and your friends wouldnt be to best pleased

As a confirmed Mauretania passenger l choose not to pay the fares for the Grill cabins, and have always found the service to be of a very high standard down in Mauretania, even if sometimes l do have to eat with the crew;)

Each and every one of us consider we are paying top dollar for our cruises, its just that some are paying more than the rest.

A couple l know on my recent cruise, who are also regular QE2 passengers, as you know, on a previous cruise were upgraded to the Queen Elizabeth Suite and dinned in the Queens Grill, and we know what their thoughts were of the Queens Grill, The suite was was lovely......its just the rest that they didnt find enjoyble.

As a regular traveller on QE2 l always thought when you booked a Cunard cruise you were assigned a restaurant and that was your place for the duration. So whats with requests to dine else where? other cruise lines call is freestyle dining.

I was just wondering aloud, seeing it was brought up, if what's good for the goose is good for the gander, that's all.

When the goose is paying five or six times what the gander is paying they are not equal. It's one thing for a QG passenger to go down to Britannia which seats 1300 people and ask to be seated. Quite another to come to a restaurant which seats 200, and for which you have not paid, and ask to have dinner.

So, here's my understanding of how it works:

One may dine down a grade (or two or three), space permitting.

One may dine up a grade (or two or three), if invited by someone dining there, space permitting, and potentially subject to a "fee" assessed to the party in that grade.

This is just my understanding from conversation and perusal of these boards.

Archived