No cruise until debt free... how to cope?

I went on my first two cruises in 2007 and was instantly (of course) addicted. However, my DH and I have wised up and have made the decision to not spend any more money until we are out of debt. This will take us at least 2 years... sharing a vehicle and doing absolutely everything imaginable to save money. And then will be time to have kids. But every day my mind is on cruising and I find myself lurking on these boards. Is it better to just stay off and not feed my addiction? I'm afraid I might become terribly depressed if I try to stop thinking about cruising altogether. My husband is sick of me talking about cruising all the time, because he enjoys it too but doesn't want to talk about it because we can't afford it right now.... HELP!!! Has anyone else found themselves in this situation lately with the economy? WHY DID WE BUY THAT HOUSE!?!?! It's worth 1/2 of what we bought it for. What to do? I know that you all will feel my pain... :(

Yes, we can all feel the pain. These are difficult times for many people.

I would like to make a suggestion. While you are in the "cutting down and paying off" mode, why not pay yourself first? Open a savings account "just for cruises". Put in it $5, $10, or whatever you can every pay check. I did it by direct deposit. I didn't miss it and as I could, I increased it. It took me 3 years to before we went on that cruise, but I had enough saved so that when we paid for the 1st one we were more then half way towards the 2nd one.

During this difficult time when you need to pay down your debt, you will also have the "luxury" of knowing you will be cruising again with the $$$ you are saving.

Good luck and I hope things get better.

Your house will only increase in value--as long as you're living in it, it's still a good investment. Think long-term!!!!!

As far as kids go, take a cruise after you're out of debt, and before you have the kids!!!!!

Well you live in Florida and if you watch really close you can find some great deals on cruises. In the off months like January and Febuary you can find inside cabins on 3 day cruises as low as $200 each. 3 days isn't long and inside cabins aren't the nicest on the ship but that might help.

Your house will only increase in value--as long as you're living in it, it's still a good investment. Think long-term!!!!!

As far as kids go, take a cruise after you're out of debt, and before you have the kids!!!!!

reminds me of the Disney commercial where the little girl says her baby brother was a souvenir from their Disney Cruise. LOL

I would continue to lurk...... It will provide some motivation to sticking to your budget..... Remember wants and needs are two very different things. When you go to buy something ask yourself, "Do I want this or do I need it" If you need it, do you really need it? If you want it, is it worth the sacrifice and putting the debit free plans on hold?

You're very smart.

While you're paying off your debt you will be learning to live on less money and that is a lesson that will help you for a lifetime.

When you start watching what you are spending you will be amazed at how much you can save.

I think you are doing a wonderful thing and when you do take that cruise you will appreciate it so much.

Good Luck!

Yeah I know what you mean about having kids once your debt is paid off (thus having to put off cruising longer). We are getting married next April and originally were planning on having children right away. Then, we thought about it more and decided to go on another "anniversary" cruise before starting a family. I know that sounds selfish to choose a cruise over children, but it is better to be selfish BEFORE having children than after:D

Well you live in Florida and if you watch really close you can find some great deals on cruises. In the off months like January and Febuary you can find inside cabins on 3 day cruises as low as $200 each. 3 days isn't long and inside cabins aren't the nicest on the ship but that might help.

I know!! :D That is part of the problem, I keep finding all these amazing deals!! However, even if it only cost $500 for the both of us, that is still $500 that we would have to put on the credit card or take out of our emergency fund... and take that much longer to get out of debt. We are young (25) and just took on too much responsibility too fast trying to make a quick buck. As for saving a little here and there, I just can't justify it. My game plan is to get out of the debt as fast as possible, then I will have crazy money to go towards vacation instead of debt! and then I can take a cruise every few months! :p

Getting out of debt is always the best personal plan. Cruising is a lifetime oppurtunity. Congratulations on making a good decision.

jc

Thankyou for the encouragement! It helps a lot!

When we got married (in the 80's) we bought a house and decided to have kids and it ended up we didn't have a 'real' vacation for almost 20 years. We went camping and other low cost adventures but actual 'flying to resorts' or cruising vacations never even crossed our minds because we didn't have the money, or we had 10 other places to use it a lot more wisely.

No big deal. You set your priorities and you live with it.

I went on my first two cruises in 2007 and was instantly (of course) addicted. However, my DH and I have wised up and have made the decision to not spend any more money until we are out of debt. This will take us at least 2 years... sharing a vehicle and doing absolutely everything imaginable to save money. And then will be time to have kids. But every day my mind is on cruising and I find myself lurking on these boards. Is it better to just stay off and not feed my addiction? I'm afraid I might become terribly depressed if I try to stop thinking about cruising altogether. My husband is sick of me talking about cruising all the time, because he enjoys it too but doesn't want to talk about it because we can't afford it right now.... HELP!!! Has anyone else found themselves in this situation lately with the economy? WHY DID WE BUY THAT HOUSE!?!?! It's worth 1/2 of what we bought it for. What to do? I know that you all will feel my pain... :(

Sure, I feel some of the pain. There were many years we lived paycheck to paycheck with no vacations. Well, time off work meant painting the house or cleaning out the garage, not what I call vacation. A cruise was way beyond our means, so we set our sights on a 10th anniversary gift to ourselves. And made it. It's all the sweeter when you have to work for it.

Owning a home is an excellent investment in your future. It doesn't matter what it is worth right now, as that is merely a blip on the timeline. It's market value matters when you buy and when you sell and not much in between.

Definitely set aside a few bucks a week - might as well build your vacation nest egg one tiny piece of straw at a time. No reason to bail on the boards - we can't cruise near as much as many people here, but it's still fun to dream and plan. I wouldn't deprive myself of that as it's still fun. If it's not fun and is more like torture, then, yeah, bail off the boards.

Paying off debt is a great decision.On a 20% credit card.You are paying 200 dollars a year for every 1000 dollars you owe.Pay off and you will have extra cash for cruises and such.Better to have fun with it than giving it to credit card companies---------------BT

As you list all of your debts to pay off, put a cruise at the end of it. It will be a sort of motivator to continue paying the debts to get to it. My wife and I decided to live debt free several years ago and would never go back. Putting off pleasure for a couple of years for a lifetime of security is well worth it. I hope you stick to it, your family will be forever grateful.

I think you are very smart for getting your debt under control while you are young. I work full-time at a hospital and I waitress 3 nights a week. All my waitressing money goes into a separate account for cruising. When I'm not planning a cruise I don't go on these message boards. It makes me to depressed. Good luck in paying down your debt. Wanda

As you list all of your debts to pay off, put a cruise at the end of it. It will be a sort of motivator to continue paying the debts to get to it. My wife and I decided to live debt free several years ago and would never go back. Putting off pleasure for a couple of years for a lifetime of security is well worth it. I hope you stick to it, your family will be forever grateful.

yes yes yes!! Good to know that someone else is able to live debt free and it will be worth it. a lifetime of security because no debt (except for mortgage)... Ah....I can breathe easier just thinking about it. :D

I'm Going To Have To Agree With Kidless...living Here In Florida, We Have A Bunch Of Options.your Close Enough To Tampa Ft Lauderdale, Miami Or Even Pt Canaveral To Catch One Of Those 3 Or 4 Day Cruises...short Enough And Cheap Enough To Satisfy Your Yearning. Without Sounding Too Philosophical, Sometimes Tomorrow Never Comes...don't Put Off Something That You Really Want To Do.the Money Will Come Your Way Eventually..live For Today

I know!! :D That is part of the problem, I keep finding all these amazing deals!! However, even if it only cost $500 for the both of us, that is still $500 that we would have to put on the credit card or take out of our emergency fund... and take that much longer to get out of debt. We are young (25) and just took on too much responsibility too fast trying to make a quick buck. As for saving a little here and there, I just can't justify it. My game plan is to get out of the debt as fast as possible, then I will have crazy money to go towards vacation instead of debt! and then I can take a cruise every few months! :p

LOL...............then don't have kids!!!!!

Tape a picture of a cruise ship up to remind you of your goal....two years will pass quickly..........trust me at my age if flies by!!!!

You should be proud of your decision at such a young age to payoff your debt in lieu of cruising and going further into debt. Time goes by very quickly. Before you know it, you'll be debt free and proud. Congrats!!:D

I'm Going To Have To Agree With Kidless...living Here In Florida, We Have A Bunch Of Options.your Close Enough To Tampa Ft Lauderdale, Miami Or Even Pt Canaveral To Catch One Of Those 3 Or 4 Day Cruises...short Enough And Cheap Enough To Satisfy Your Yearning. Without Sounding Too Philosophical, Sometimes Tomorrow Never Comes...don't Put Off Something That You Really Want To Do.the Money Will Come Your Way Eventually..live For Today

The problem is I've already been-there-done-that I just want more-more-more. Which, come to think of it, is how I got into this whole debt thing in the frist place. :o Before we were dating, my DH and i met overseas...twice. Once in Africa, and again in Europe. We have more travel under our belts at 25 then most will have in a lifetime. We love it... it is what drives us. However, all travel but being bankrupt isn't good either. For us, it is time to grow up. We've been going strong for 6 months now and I just needed a little encouragement to keep going. ;)

-Your house will only increase in value

unfortunately that's not so true any more - not in this market. prices were artificially inflated and a great many people now own houses that they couldn't sell for nearly what they owe.

-Your house will only increase in value

unfortunately that's not so true any more - not in this market. prices were artificially inflated and a great many people now own houses that they couldn't sell for nearly what they owe.

Yep, exactly what happened to us. We had intentions to flip it but then had life happen. No need to go into details, but by the time we had our lives straightened out the housing market here crashed and we are stuck with a house we can't afford that won't sell for 1/2 what we owe. Not exageration...truth. Hopefully time will turn it around.

Erin - Chin up - lots of good advice here!;) We are ALL keeping our fingers crossed the housing market turns around. But your plan to get out of debt is best....when you can afford to finally to cruise - you will really appreciate it.:D

Archived