Using Future Cruise Credits

Snowbird

I need some help and I know someone will have the answer. I know this has been discussed (endlessly, it seems). But I need to make sure I understand the use of Future Cruise Credits correctly. Last cruise (Oct 07) we (husband and I) each purchased 1 future cruise credit ($100.00 each). My understanding from various threads about this subject is that we need only use ONE future cruise credit for our next cruise. Using one FCC only, we would need to make an additional deposit but we would EACH receive the on-board credit of $100.00 (total cabin on-board credit of $200.00) (since we're looking at a 10-day cruise, outside cabin).

Here's where my confusion is. I'm working with an on-line travel agency specializing in cruises. We've used them before with no problems. But they insist we must use TWO future cruise credits if we both want to receive the on-board credits. They claim to have spoken multiple times with the CSRs and reservation agents at Princess and that's the information Princess has provided - that if we use only one FCC only one of us will receive the on-board credit. So, am I misunderstanding the use of FCCs or is my assumption accurate that we need only one FCC? And if it's accurate, how do I convince the agent at the on-line booking agency that's how it can be done? Or who at Princess can make sure the cruise agency is provided with accurate information?

I need some help and I know someone will have the answer. I know this has been discussed (endlessly, it seems). But I need to make sure I understand the use of Future Cruise Credits correctly. Last cruise (Oct 07) we (husband and I) each purchased 1 future cruise credit ($100.00 each). My understanding from various threads about this subject is that we need only use ONE future cruise credit for our next cruise. Using one FCC only, we would need to make an additional deposit but we would EACH receive the on-board credit of $100.00 (total cabin on-board credit of $200.00) (since we're looking at a 10-day cruise, outside cabin).

Here's where my confusion is. I'm working with an on-line travel agency specializing in cruises. We've used them before with no problems. But they insist we must use TWO future cruise credits if we both want to receive the on-board credits. They claim to have spoken multiple times with the CSRs and reservation agents at Princess and that's the information Princess has provided - that if we use only one FCC only one of us will receive the on-board credit. So, am I misunderstanding the use of FCCs or is my assumption accurate that we need only one FCC? And if it's accurate, how do I convince the agent at the on-line booking agency that's how it can be done? Or who at Princess can make sure the cruise agency is provided with accurate information?

The TA is correct. You get the onboard credit ONLY for the FCC that you actually use. In other words, if you have two FCCs, you can use one for your cruise and pay a $100 deposit for your husband. He would NOT get the OBC since he didn't use his FCC, he just paid a deposit. The OBC is only if you use the FCC and applies to each passenger individually. This clearer?

The benefit of using one FCC is that your DH is paying only a $100 deposit. Otherwise, he would pay 30% of the full cost of the cruise. He is not technically using his FCC, he's just paying a heck of lot lower deposit than would otherwise be made. If he uses his FCC for this cruise in addition to yours, then he would get the OBC.

Yes, you are correct. If you have the letter that was provided to you when you purchased your FCC you will see, at the bottom, that it states that the offer is good for the first two people in the cabin. The problem with what the TA is telling you is that you may be sharing the cabin with someone who was not on the cruise where you purchased the FCC. Since you can't purchase FCC for someone who isn't on the cruise they would not have the FCC to apply. But since the FCC you purchased is good for the first two people in the cabin the associated offer that includes OBC applies to both of you. All you need to do is add an additional $100 as the deposit for the second person. Frankly, I doubt that you TA called Princess several times and got the same response. The CSRs have been questioned about this so many times that they should all know the rules by now. I would ask you TA to get you on a three way call with Princess and if all else fails ask to speak with a Captains Circle representative.

I disagree with Pam on this one. I have used only one FCC for the three cruises I have booked but have OBC for both passengers in the cabin. I have also used just one in the past and gotten the OBC for both passengers in the cabin.

Yes, you are correct. If you have the letter that was provided to you when you purchased your FCC you will see, at the bottom, that it states that the offer is good for the first two people in the cabin. The problem with what the TA is telling you is that you may be sharing the cabin with someone who was not on the cruise where you purchased the FCC. Since you can't purchase FCC for someone who isn't on the cruise they would not have the FCC to apply. But since the FCC you purchased is good for the first two people in the cabin the associated offer that includes OBC applies to both of you. All you need to do is add an additional $100 as the deposit for the second person. Frankly, I doubt that you TA called Princess several times and got the same response. The CSRs have been questioned about this so many times that they should all know the rules by now. I would ask you TA to get you on a three way call with Princess and if all else fails ask to speak with a Captains Circle representative.
I apologize if I've given incorrect information. You are correct. I just looked at the bottom of my FCC and it states: "This offer applies to the first two passengers in stateroom only, and is not applicable to upper berth passengers. Passengers with single occupancy will receive a single person portion. Onboard credit may only be used on a single voyage and expires at the end of that voyage. This offer or any unused portion is not redeemable for cash and is available to new bookings only. This offer is non-transferable and currency is non-changeable. This offer is not combinable with World Cruises."

The OBC is:

7-9 days $25/pp inside, $50/pp outside

10-15 days $75/pp inside, $100/pp outside

16+ days $125/pp inside, $150/pp outside

A suggestion is to offer to fax a copy of your FCC letter to the TA so they have it on record. I assume you kept your letter!

I am sure Pam and your TA are wrong on this one. We always use 1 FCC per cruise. Then you pay $100 deposit for the second passenger in the cabin. As stated above, if you still have the original certificate, you can fax the fine print to them. And yes, you both get the on board credit.

I am sure Pam and your TA are wrong on this one. We always use 1 FCC per cruise. Then you pay $100 deposit for the second passenger in the cabin. As stated above, if you still have the original certificate, you can fax the fine print to them. And yes, you both get the on board credit.
Already apologized and clarified. :)

I apologize if I've given incorrect information. You are correct. I just looked at the bottom of my FCC and it states: "This offer applies to the first two passengers in stateroom only, and is not applicable to upper berth passengers. Passengers with single occupancy will receive a single person portion. Onboard credit may only be used on a single voyage and expires at the end of that voyage. This offer or any unused portion is not redeemable for cash and is available to new bookings only. This offer is non-transferable and currency is non-changeable. This offer is not combinable with World Cruises."

The OBC is:

7-9 days $25/pp inside, $50/pp outside

10-15 days $75/pp inside, $100/pp outside

16+ days $125/pp inside, $150/pp outside

A suggestion is to offer to fax a copy of your FCC letter to the TA so they have it on record. I assume you kept your letter!

Thanks Pam....you are usually so accurate that when I saw your post I thought there may have been a recent change. It would have to have been in the last month as I just booked two long cruises last month by using one FCC for each and adding the additional $100 for the second passenger. Our receipt does show that we both have the OBC associated with the FCC.

The problem with what the TA is telling you is that you may be sharing the cabin with someone who was not on the cruise where you purchased the FCC.

This is not correct......

Does not matter if the 2nd person in the cabin was on the cruise where the FCC was purchased or not.

They still get the OBC as long as one was. :)

We are doing this on upcoming cruises and just did it in March. :)

If it were me, I would do one of two things. Either fax the FCC paperwork over to the TA that is misinforming you on how these can be used, or probably number two, find a different TA that knows the workings of Princess and FCC's.

It states right on the bottom of each one that it is good for the first TWO passengers in the stateroom. What more could this online clutz TA need? (sorry, but it urks the heck out of me when travel agents have no idea what they are doing and dare to call themselves a TA. Called Princess and were told that exact same thing, bull feathers!). ARGH!

This is not correct......

Does not matter if the 2nd person in the cabin was on the cruise where the FCC was purchased or not.

They still get the OBC as long as one was. :)

We are doing this on upcoming cruises and just did it in March. :)

I think you need to re-read my post. That is exactly what I said!

What we do to help eliminate confusion:

We book directly with Princess using 1 FCC, pay an additional $100 deposit for the 2nd passenger, and both of us receive the OBC. THEN transfer the booking to the TA. That way it is all in place before the TA gets the booking and there isn't any confusion/questions on the TA's part. We happen to have an excellent TA where it wouldn't be a problem, but it still saves time in the booking process.

We have never had to book through Princess and then transfer to a TA to use only one FCC for the first two passengers. We have always booked straight through a number of TA's and they all were bright enough to understand how the FCC's work.

We have never had to book through Princess and then transfer to a TA to use only one FCC for the first two passengers. We have always booked straight through a number of TA's and they all were bright enough to understand how the FCC's work.
according to the OP (Snowbird) not all TA's are "bright enough".

Thanks everyone. I thought that's how it worked. I did fax the FCC letter to the TA (last week) and pointed out the same things you all did (applies to first 2 passengers in cabin, etc.); he still insists you have to use 2 FCCs for both passengers to receive OBC, per Princess. Guess I'll have to call Princess and see if I can get it straightened out. Perhaps we'll have to take sunnyv's suggestion and start with Princess to make the booking and then transfer (unless I change my mind about keeping that TA).

If we book directly with Princess, and then find a TA that is $400 per person cheaper than Princess--- when we transfer the booking, do we keep the same cabin assignment and receive the reduced price that the TA is offering online??? Thanx for any information on this.

Can anyone clarify what happens if you decide to cancel the booking made -do you get to reuse the credits or does princess just reinburse back the cash??:o

The FCC wil be re-applied to your Capt. Circle account - and you can start over from scratch next rservation!

To Be sure - When you cancel, tell the TA to 'redeposit the FCC'.........:rolleyes:

If we book directly with Princess, and then find a TA that is $400 per person cheaper than Princess--- when we transfer the booking, do we keep the same cabin assignment and receive the reduced price that the TA is offering online??? Thanx for any information on this.

Your booking will be transferred 'as is' with no change except the cheaper cost!!

Go for it! :)

The FCC wil be re-applied to your Capt. Circle account - and you can start over from scratch next rservation!

To Be sure - When you cancel, tell the TA to 'redeposit the FCC'.........:rolleyes:

You can do this only once. If you cancel a second time, the deposit is applied back to the credit card it was originally charged to.

As someone who has cruised with Princess 7 times (to be 8 in November), I have never purchased a FCC onboard. Other than a reduced deposit, what is the advantage of using a FCC on a 7-day or less cruise? Doesn't the on-board credit just equal the amount that you originally paid for the FCC while on board? It would seem that it is only a good deal if you cruise for 10 days or longer since you can then use one FCC that you paid $100 for and receive a $200 on-board credit if you are traveling double. Correct?

Kathy

Archived