Solstice - GLBT Roll Call - 12/07/08

daviddfld

We are staying there as well. You did get a good deal. The starting rate for AAA members is $151.00. For those who didnt book with Priceline or Hotwire, check your rate and make sure it hasnt dropped since you booked..we were able to save $50.00. Not bad.

Here is the latest list of Friends of Dorothy. Anyone else want to be added?

David "DAVIDDFLD" & Larry "LKUSHNERID" Deerfield Beach, FL 7207 late (Traveling with Stephen & Keith 7256 late)

Seth "ENYAW" & Jason Tucson, AZ Aqua late Blu

Ernie "E ROLLER" & Christopffre Atlanta, GA CC late (Traveling with 7 friends)

Joe "TORONTOGAYMALECOUPLE" & Partner Toronto, ON

Walter "STINSOWN" & Ben Nashville, TN

Andrew "CALIBER35" & Bob Ft. Lauderdale, FL Aqua 1598 early Blu

Larry "RUSTY311" Pomona, CA 2131 late (Traveling with David “VIVAVINO”)

David "VIVAVINO" Baltimore, MD 2105 late (Traveling with Larry “RUSTY311”)

Bradley "BRADLEY TALL ONE" & Partner Canada

Ruth "RUTHITH" Boston, MA Traveling with Emily

Rob "RYNDAM" & Jim Houston, TX 1631 late Blu

Larry "CRUISE CRAZIES" & ??? Flagstaff, AZ

Juan "RIENREITER" Ft Lauderdale, FL late

Gary "GARYKOOL81" & Ian Washington, DC

Don "DCT61" & Russ Nashville, TN Traveling with another couple

Mark "FTL PRINCIPAL" and Mike Ft. Lauderdale, FL late

Kyle "IDLEMIND" & Gavin Toronto, ON

Here is the latest list of Friends of Dorothy. Anyone else want to be added?

David "DAVIDDFLD" & Larry "LKUSHNERID" Deerfield Beach, FL 7207 late (Traveling with Stephen & Keith 7256 late)

Walter "STINSOWN" & Ben Nashville, TN

Please add "BENUZAIR"...Walter's [sTINSOWN] partner here.

Nice to see we already have a great crowd here who we can call 'family'!

Thanks, David!

Ben

Please add "BENUZAIR"...Walter's [sTINSOWN] partner here.

Nice to see we already have a great crowd here who we can call 'family'!

Thanks, David!

Ben

Here you go!

Walter "STINSOWN" & Ben “BENUZAIR” Nashville, TN

After weeks of trying, I scored a decent Priceline win last night for the FLL Grande Hotel and Yacht Club. TripAdvisor likes it fine (#17 out of 146, I think) and it gets generally good reviews.

Using Priceline, it was $90. If you don't know how to use Priceline, visit http://www.biddingfortravel.com and you'll learn everything you need to know.

Rooms are available starting at $129 otherwise, so this was a few dollars off.

That's about the same price I had booked for a basic Marriott Courtyard, so I think hotel prices are slipping a bit in FLL.

I did some research and ended up picking the Il Lugano. It's a new upscale hotel and very gay friendly. It's even advertised in Out Traveler with special LGBT rates. You can check out their website at http://www.illugano.com

The best part is the rates. We have a 900 sq foot suite (view of ocean or intercostal - your choice) that includes kitchen, large balcony, flat panel TV's, iPod docking station, and washer/dryer for under $200 a night. Pretty amazing. In addition the hotel is ranked very high on Trip Advisor (#4 out of 146 ratings). A new restaurant by Todd English is scheduled to open this month and there is a nice pool and gym that overlooks the intercostal. There is no spa.

We haven't stayed there yet so I can't give a first hand review, but I'm hoping it meets up to all the amazing reviews on Trip Advisor. It looks pretty fantastic in the pictures and based on the size of the suite, it's the best value of all the hotels I researched. The only down side for some is that it's not right on the beach, but only a couple blocks away and an easy walk. It's actually in a residential neighborhood which I like.

Ernie

Here you go!

Thanks for putting that list together. Much appreciated. Are we going to have our own LGBT get together, perhaps on the first or second night?

Ernie

Thanks for putting that list together. Much appreciated. Are we going to have our own LGBT get together, perhaps on the first or second night?

Ernie

Let's try for the second night ... the first night always seems frantic with trying to get unpaked, and the muster drill, and finding our way around. Unless of course there is one announced in the "Celebrity Today".

David

Count two more from Nashville--Rob and Kevin. This will be Rob's first cruise--he's looking forward to the buffets!

Hey Kevin and Rob,

Walter and I are from Nashville, too... great to have guys from the same time sailing in the same fabulous ship! I'm sure Rob will be blown away with all the wonderful things Solstice has to offer.

Ben

I've been gathering info for my 2 guy friends and received info from a travel agency in NY that specializes in gay travel. Thinking of booking the Solstice trip Supposedly group of 100+ so far w/welcome parties, etc beginning 12/14.

I read that many of you are going on 12/7. Is there a specific group going out on 12/7 also?

I've never heard of this agency (can't mention its name in the forums I'm told). Hope things work out.

Barbara

Thanks

Barbara

I've done lots of trips with the agency in New York, I think... check my signature line and see if a name looks familiar.

Their groups are fun, and if they have about 100 for the 12/14 trip, that'll be great. IMHO, that's the size they do best - it's big enough that you have lots of company at the cocktail parties, and in the DR for dinner. The host for that trip is a wonderful guy, who is diligent about making sure everyone knows what's going on, and can often arrange special events for the group.

I've thought that most of their trips are great. Some of them get past 400 people, and those are less interesting to me.

My buddy and I switched to this week because it was hundreds of dollars cheaper, for a better grade of cabin at the time we switched, AND airfare was much less expensive, since we weren't trying to get flights on a pre-Xmas weekend.

Keep in mind that Celebrity is very friendly about having a "Friends of Dorothy" notice in the daily schedule, so it's easy for whoever is onboard to meet up at the Martini bar, say hello to Togi, the adorable bartender, and go from there.

Cheers.

Welcome to the GLBT post, and welcome also to Rick & David whom I found over on the "the other side". Looking forward to meeting you all. Only 2 weeks to go.

Here's our latest list ...

Mark "FTL PRINCIPAL" & Mike Ft. Lauderdale, FL late

Kevin “SINGINGJOCKTN” & Rob Nashville, TN

Rick “RICK-CRUISER” & David Manorville, NY 6185 main

...and the rest of us will get to see the ship.

David & Larry - how was the naming cruise? I will want to hear all about it when we are on the ship.

I have moved to cabin 8336. Please update the list. I think we should use the list and designate a place/time to meet when we get the lay of the ship - leave messages as to where and when.

On the three day naming cruise - how did the ship feel for number of people and space? Was it full capacity? What were your favorite places?

Larry

...and the rest of us will get to see the ship.

David & Larry - how was the naming cruise? I will want to hear all about it when we are on the ship.

I have moved to cabin 8336. Please update the list. I think we should use the list and designate a place/time to meet when we get the lay of the ship - leave messages as to where and when.

On the three day naming cruise - how did the ship feel for number of people and space? Was it full capacity? What were your favorite places?

Larry

Hi Larry ...

I changed your cabin on the list to 8336.

The naming ceremony was a very special event, and the Godmother, Prof. Sharon L. Smith is a very special lady. She is a biological oceanographer, having spent her career researching the world's oceans and is currently the dean of the undergraduate program in marine science, and co-directs the U. of Miami's Oceans and Human Health Center. She is also a double cancer survivor having overcome breast cancer in 1993 and uterine cancer in 1996.

We were onboard for only 2 nights, so it was hard to really find a special place. The Martini bar would normally be my choice, but it was always packed and difficult to get to the bar (of course drinks were gratis on that sailing!). The ship never seemed overly crowded ... there are a lot of open spaces and wide corridors connecting public areas. We were told that there were only about 1800 onboard for the naming ceremony cruise.

I guess for our first get-together we should meet in the Martini Bar, and then pick a different spot for future get-togethers. Or, if a published FOD is posted in the "Celebrity Daily" right off the bat, we should probably get together there just so we don't miss anyone, especially those who have not posted on Cruise Critic. Other opinions are welcome!

Larry "RUSTY311" Pomona, CA 8336 late (Traveling with David “VIVAVINO”)

David "VIVAVINO" Baltimore, MD 8336 late (Traveling with Larry “RUSTY311”)

Mark "FTL PRINCIPAL" & Mike Ft. Lauderdale, FL late

Kevin “SINGINGJOCKTN” & Rob Nashville, TN

Rick “RICK-CRUISER” & David Manorville, NY 6185 main

Hello Everyone:

First of all, welcome to the new posters.

I have been gone for a couple of weeks as I returned from my Independence OTS crossing. When we docked in Ft. Lauderdale, the Solstice was docked at the pier right across from us. Beautiful ship!

I agree that it would be great to set up a meeting time so that we can all meet. I'm generally easy going so whatever suggestion as to place and time is given is fine with me. I also agree that Celebrity may very well post a FOD meeting on their daily and I would not be surprised to see it listed the first day and perhaps every day once they notice how many of us are there. I know that I'll be meeting David and Larry on the first evening but it is also likely that I'll meet others that evening also.

David, thanks for putting together the list. I am now being joined by a friend of mine, Oscar.

David, that's a great price you got for the Grande. It is in a much better area than the Courtyard that you had previously booked. The Grande used to be Fort Lauderdale's first Marriott hotel.

Two weeks to go!

Juan

Ok, is this a clip from a club, or just a festive atmosphere in the evening by the fountains on board Celebrity Solstice? :-)

With our group growing, grabbing a couple of drinks at the Pool Bar won't be such a bad idea, too!

OMG! this one friend of mine told me about cruise critic boards but he said if it was a "regular" cruise there prolly wouldnt be many gay peeps who would post but looks like he was wrong, YAY!

I will be on this cruise (Solstice 12/07/08) with my aunt and uncle. This is the first cruise I have ever been on... was actually wondering if I was going to like it being away ftom my friends and whatnot but its looking betta :D

Hope to get some 411 on whas fun to do for gay peeps on the ship and at our stops from anyone who has been there done that.

Thanks! So happy I found you guys!

Gregory

My partner and I just upgraded to a Celebrity Suite. Very excited about that. I was surprised one was available, and I think I got a good deal. It's going to be a surprise for Christopffre (he never reads these boards). Basically an early Christmas present. He tends to spend a lot of time in the cabin so I know he will enjoy it. I'm just the opposite, I am usually out and about on the ship.

Anyway, our old cabin 1075 is now available. It's a C1 Concierge Class. It's a fantastic cabin, with an extra large balcony (double size) for anyone interested. I hand selected that cabin after really looking at the plans for the ship and all the exterior photos. It was kind of hard to give it up but I'll manage. ;)

So now the question of a meet and greet. If Celebrity doesn't have LGBT get-together one the first day, perhaps at 10:30pm in the Martini bar the first night. Everyone should be finished dinner by that time.

What do you think? Also hoping to host a cocktail party in our cabin one night before dinner. That would be fun.

Ernie

Hi Ernie,

Congrats on your upgrade!! Ben and I are both excited for you and your partner. I like your idea of meeting in the martini bar. I also know that there will be many FOD get togethers arranged by Celebrity. See you guys in less than 2 weeks!!

Walter and Ben

Ernie:

So now we won't be able to wave at each other from our balconies?

Hey Juan,

You're right about that. Oh well, you can always come visit and we will just have to meet for cocktails more often. :)

Ernie

Time for final preparations - what to pack.

I think this will be a very fast seven day cruise.

Meeting at Martini bar first night - 10:30 sounds good if dinner is finished, and if the show does not sound interesting.

There should be a cruise critic meet and greet - it might be big. There will be either 'Friends of Dorthy' or GBLT get togethers, and I hope to meet people on this line there.

Ernie - I would like to see the Celerity Suite. Also the balcony cabins and the Outside and Inside cabins. Currently I am in an S1 on the Vista deck. We should plan a cabin tour. It is always interesting to see what the cabins are like and the best locations that can not always be seen on deck plans. Last year I was shown a Celebrity M class magic 16 cabin on the Penthouse deck that have the double balconies - and it does not show up on any deck plan.

Two weeks from today - we will be on the ship.

Have fun. Larry

Welcome to all the new people, I see our group has grown since my last visit.

David and I start our holiday travels on Saturday after Thanksgiving, we disembark the Miracle on Sunday morning and board the Solstice. We will have just enough time to go home and get clean clothes.

We are traveling with our friends Stephen and Keith and Mark and Mike but look forward to meeting everyone.

Best Wishes to all for a Happy Thanksgiving,

See you at the Martini Bar,

Regards,

Larry

Archived