Solstice - GLBT Roll Call - 12/07/08

daviddfld

Walter: Living in south Florida does have its advantages. Crossings that begin or end in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale are a real plus. But like any port, after a while you reach limitations. Personally, I am not a Caribbean type of person so for me there's not much left. I really do look at other itineraries without giving much consideration to my home ports. The good thing is that when you need a cruise fix (and for me that happens TOO often), there's not far to go to get on board.

Gary: The area has changed tremendously. The only thing that has not changed much is the 395 corridor (between 95 and DC). That pretty much remains the same. I have a cousin who got married in Manassas in 1977 and that was WAY OUT THERE back then.

I hope everyone's week is off to a good start!

Juan

David: I am here in Ft. Lauderdale. Way out west in the boonies by the standards of some who live on the east side. I live on the west side of Plantation.

Juan

Hi Juan ...

Another Ft Lauderdale cruiser! Maybe all of the locals could get together sometime soon to meet before the cruise. How 'bout a martini at Tropics or Alibi one evening? Just let me know, and I'll be happy to put it together with Mike & Mark, and Stephen & Keith, and my Larry.

You can contact me at CINCDHAYES at CONCAST dot NET.

David

David:

I think that would would be swell. If I am not mistaken, I think there is another local among us but I don't think that he has posted again. May just be lurking. Keep us informed!

Juan

PS As I'm sure you have all noticed, there is a LOT of family here for this cruise. I wonder what is causing such a large contingency of FOD's to have picked this cruise. Whatever it is, I am very much looking forward to this cruise.

Solstice has so many dining choices - I wonder how full the dining room will be. Captains Club can make advance reservations for the specility restaurants - if you know when you want to eat there. Last September my 12 day Constillation TA cruise had a schedule of Captains Club events in the cabin so the cruise could be paced with special tours, events, parties, formal nights and I could decide when to book specalty dining.

Juan - David from MD was on the 17 day NYC to LA Queen Victoria this last January and we liked Todd English so much we ate there 5 times.

It's getting closer - and will be here before we know it.

Larry

Well, if there's a pre-cruise party somewhere on Saturday before the trip, count me in. I'll get into FLL on Friday evening sometime 9pm or so, depending on AirTran.

I did switch hotels from an earlier note.... AirTran changed my flight times, so I just decided to spend an extra night. I'm at

Marriott Courtyard

400 Gulf Stream Way

"Dania Beach"

They had rates from $119-123 or so for AAA members.

I'm expecting the greatest competition for Blu... I'm sure the AquaClass folks will want to try something different sometimes, but I'm guessing that'll be the hot ticket. We shall see.

Are we there yet?

David.

"PS As I'm sure you have all noticed, there is a LOT of family here for this cruise. I wonder what is causing such a large contingency of FOD's to have picked this cruise. Whatever it is, I am very much looking forward to this cruise"

In our case, we were booked on the original inaugural cruise (December 14) with the PIED PIPER group. When Celebrity moved the inaugural date earlier but did not lower the cost of the December 14th date to relect its "no-longer inaugural" status, we moved to a lower priced date. I wonder if other folks from PIED PIPER may have done the same...this may be part of the reason for the large number.

We booked this cruise for several reasons:

1) The price was too good to pass up. We looked at the Eurodam sailing on 12/6, but our AquaClass rooms on the Solstice were priced hundreds $$ less than HAL's designated spa-class rooms. The price has increased on this cruise since we initially booked, but it is still being offered at a much more competitive rate than the Eurodam.

2) We're flying to FLL on Southwest Airlines with free Rapid Rewards tickets. The previous week's cruise was over Thanksgiving and all the free tickets on the weekends were blacked-out. The later cruises in December start falling over Xmas and New Years holidays, with more frequent flyer black-out dates. So our decision was pretty much determined by the availability of two, free frequent flyer air tickets.

3) There are usually very, very few (if any) children on these short Caribbean cruises between Thanksgiving and Xmas. Bless other people's kids, but we prefer not to share the ship with them on our vacation.

4) We are assuming that the dinner menu in BLU really will change every evening. Can't imagine the same menu every night. However, we could be persuaded to barter our BLU dining seating.....Jim likes Stoli cosmos and I like Southern Comfort manhattans......

See you all onboard.

Hi Larry: Glad to see that you enjoyed Todd English so much. We did it 3 times on our last 6 day westbound TA; both lunch and dinner. It's quite an experience. Never disappointed.

David: We are not there yet. Unfortunately.

Whatever anyone's reason for booking this cruise; it is never a bad one.

Juan

Hi

Kyle and Gavin here, from Toronto. We're sailing on Solstice on dec 7th. Looking forward to meeting you guys at the Martini bar. :)

Hi Guys ...

Welcome on board. We look forward to meeting you over a few martinis!

David & Larry

After seeing all the amazing new pictures of the ship my partner and I decided to move to a side facing cabin. Some ships have great aft cabins, and others just so-so. I think the aft cabins on SOLSTICE will be just so-so. It may just be the angle, but the balconies even look more narrow to me compared to the side balconies?? Also, not only would the cabin above us look down on us, but the bar from above too. That could mean spilled drinks and cigarette butts on our balcony. Of course I could be wrong about all this and they could be just fantastic. Anyway, if anyone wants our old cabin, category CC cabin 1668 on December 7th go for it!

I carefully chose a side facing cabin that I think we will be very happy with. Still in category CC. It's cabin 1075, and it's on an end where the deck starts to go inward. This creates a balcony about 2-3 times as large as the typical balcony. I was surprised the cabin was even available. I had this exact same location on QUEEN VICTORIA where the deck arrangement in this area was very similar. Our balcony was huge and the location could not be beat. Although SOLSTICE is a different ship, I think we can expect the same situation looking at the pictures.

Ernie

I was very excited to see the new pictures of the Solstice. I too thought the aft balconies do not meet up to other aft balconies. I've had a top aft balcony on Radiance and it was nice. Have an aft JS balcony on Radinace - 14 day Alaska / Repo next year. I'm glad others enjoy paying attention to details. I think it's adds to the experience. Usually the best balconies are gone first.

Ernie - I was on the QV, deck 5 balcony and noticed the deck 4 balconies were larger by a couple of feet. If I can't get the hump - next time I'll go for Deck 4. How did you like the QV and where did you go. I went Jan 13 - 30th - NYC to LA. Loved it. David (vino) was also on the cruise.

Lots to talk about in the Martini Bar.

Have fun

Larry

Ernie - I was on the QV, deck 5 balcony and noticed the deck 4 balconies were larger by a couple of feet. If I can't get the hump - next time I'll go for Deck 4. How did you like the QV and where did you go. I went Jan 13 - 30th - NYC to LA. Loved it. David (vino) was also on the cruise.

Lots to talk about in the Martini Bar.

Have fun

Larry

Hey Larry,

I really loved QV, much more than I ever expected. I sailed in July to Norway for 12 days. We went all the way up to the Arctic Circle and the North Cape. It was such a great cruise and I met so many wonderful people. Cunard is great that way. My cabin was up on Deck 8, and the balcony was fantastic. I'm attaching a picture. I'm hoping my SOLSTICE balcony will be the same.

Next up is the final Westbound crossing on QE2 October 10th. I can't wait!

See you on SOLSTICE.

Ernie

web.jpg

Ernie - thanks for the picture of the balcony. It looked great. We have to do a cabin tour on Solstice and compare cabins and locations. My TA on Constellation last September - I saw one of the 16 big balcony cabins on Penthouse deck forward - that are not show that way on any deck plan. Then the QV balconies on 4 were larger than on 5 or higher. My Golden Princess Minisuite last May was a nice cabin, good size balcony, but the balcony was totally exposed to the balconies above and the steward said I might have cans, trash, cigarette buts on it in the morning, but he would be in early to clean it up. Even with total exposue from above, it was the place for morning breakfast in my robe - the perfect way to start the day.

QV is currently my favorite ship. I compare it to a Ritz Carlton, and the segment of the world cruise had a feeling unlike any other cruise I've been on. Lots of time - no rush to do anything - but the time passed too quickly and I have things left undone. No time for tea in the Queens Room, fencing lessons, acting lessons, not enough pool time... - maybe next time.

Lucky you getting to do the last QE2 crossing. I did a QE2 paired with the Concord. QE2 was next to QV from NYC to FLL - she is a beautiful ocean liner.

I am very anxious to explore the Solstice - I'm on resort deck and hope to get lots of balcony, spa and pool time.

Lots to talk about - this will be a fun cruise.

Larry

Larry and I were on the QV in January, and I'd have to agree - it's currently my favorite ship. Given how new it was, I was stunned at how the service went. I remembered the early days of the QM2, and the growing pains, especially in the DR.

But the QV charmed me in every way. Very little glitz, all very elegant. The carpeting was like jewels.... beautiful crafted to show off the colors, so it looked a bit like terrazzo.

And the more I see of the Solstice, the more I hope for the same, although in a much more contemporary style.

Count me in on the cabin tour, of course. I'm in 2105 (Resort Deck, back facing hump). I haven't seen my port-side cabin yet, but 2106 across the hall looks like it has a nice triangular balcony, just three doors back from the public areas on the Resort deck.

Cheers!

Larry and David:

I almost booked 2108 on Resort Deck. I eventually backed down and settled for 1231 because I was concerned about noise coming from the deck above. I couldn't really tell what was above but I think it is the buffet dining room. But the location is great and the view from up so high should be even better.

Juan

Larry and David:

I almost booked 2108 on Resort Deck. I eventually backed down and settled for 1231 because I was concerned about noise coming from the deck above. I couldn't really tell what was above but I think it is the buffet dining room. But the location is great and the view from up so high should be even better.

Juan

Juan,

I'll be able to wave at you from my cabin, 1075!

Ernie

QV is currently my favorite ship. I compare it to a Ritz Carlton, and the segment of the world cruise had a feeling unlike any other cruise I've been on. Lots of time - no rush to do anything - but the time passed too quickly and I have things left undone. No time for tea in the Queens Room, fencing lessons, acting lessons, not enough pool time... - maybe next time.

Lucky you getting to do the last QE2 crossing. I did a QE2 paired with the Concord. QE2 was next to QV from NYC to FLL - she is a beautiful ocean liner.

Larry

Hey Larry,

QM2 is probably my favorite modern ship, although I really did like QV. I still love the fact that QM2 is so unique in this industry, where there are so many ship clones. This was my fear with QV, I thought "oh, another Vista Class". I was so pleased that QV felt very special and unique, and nothing like the HAL Vista's which I really don't like. Cunard did a pretty fantastic job with the ship.

I love cruises with lots of time and sea days. This is why I like crossings so much. No pesky ports to get in the way! ;) Even so, I still never find the time to do everything. Those afternoon naps and tea time tend to get in the way. It's so great not having a schedule. I live by a schedule in my everyday life so not having one is a true luxury to me.

I'm also looking forward to SOLSTICE. She may end up being my favorite modern ship?? She just looks stunning from everything I have seen. I just hope there will be enough deck space which looks a bit limited for 2800 passengers. I guess we will find out soon enough. I enjoy hanging out by the pool most days. I haven't decided yet about getting off the ship in the various ports. I've been to them all several times. I really picked this trip for the ship and not the ports so even if I stayed onboard the entire 7-days I think I would be pretty happy.

Ernie

Hello All! Seth from Tucson here ---

I haven't been on for awhile -- super busy with work and stuff. Anyway -- hope you're all well. Jason and I can't wait to meet you all :)

We're flying in the night before the cruise -- staying at the Hyatt Pier 66.

Archived