Solstice - GLBT Roll Call - 12/07/08

daviddfld

OMG! this one friend of mine told me about cruise critic boards but he said if it was a "regular" cruise there prolly wouldnt be many gay peeps who would post but looks like he was wrong, YAY!

I will be on this cruise (Solstice 12/07/08) with my aunt and uncle. This is the first cruise I have ever been on... was actually wondering if I was going to like it being away ftom my friends and whatnot but its looking betta :D

Gregory -- I've actually only had one cruise out of many where I was unable to meet any fellow gay passengers prior to sailing on these boards. That was the Queen Mary 2 that was crossed on back in late August, but we still were able to meet a ton of gay folks on board the ship. They simply weren't members of this board.

If all else fails, you can always look at those daily newsletters that are sent to the staterooms every evening. Keep an eye out for FOD (Friends of Dorothy) or GLBT gatherings. Almost all cruise lines, with few exceptions, host one of these at LEAST once per cruise. Some, such as Cunard, host them every single day.

These gatherings are a great way to meet most of the other gay passengers on the ship.

My partner (26) and I (27) are from DC and are sailing with one of our friends from out in Los Angeles and his mom. We'll keep an eye out for you on board!

Hi,

Looking forward to meeting all of you at the Martini Bar.

I had a sneak preview of the Solstice a few weeks ago as I

sailed into Ft. Lauderdale on the Constellation. The Solstice

looks very impressive. My cabin is on the resort deck just steps from the pool and I have early dining booked with my brother and parents. We've already

pre-booked two evenings of speciality restaurants on-line. I'm

transferring to Miami and getting on another cruise after this one.

I'll be home on the 23rd in time for Christmas. See you onboard.

Bradley (bradleytallone - Canada)

Ernie - I would like to see the Celerity Suite.

Absolutely Larry. I really hope to have a little cocktail party in there one night if possible.

So I guess we are all good for 10:30pm in the Martini Bar the first night? I look forward to meeting everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US.

Ernie

Hi Guys ...

This most likely will be my last post, as we are getting packed and ready to board the Carnival Liberty in Ft Laud for an 8 night cruise. The day we debark the Liberty we embark the Solstice.

Larry & I look forward to meeting you all on the 7th. Hopefully we can connect the first evening at 10:30 in the Martini Bar. We'll be in 7207 if you need to contact us.

David

Hello everyone:

A little bit too late but I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

I've been in a Celebrity suite on the Constellation before and it was great. One of the best suites I've ever had. It had no balcony; only wrap around floor to ceiling windows all around. But it was a cool weather cruise so a balcony was not necessary. Sitting in that living room and looking out to sea is one of my best memories of that cruise.

Only one more week to go!

Juan

Gregory -- I've actually only had one cruise out of many where I was unable to meet any fellow gay passengers prior to sailing on these boards. That was the Queen Mary 2 that was crossed on back in late August, but we still were able to meet a ton of gay folks on board the ship. They simply weren't members of this board.

If all else fails, you can always look at those daily newsletters that are sent to the staterooms every evening. Keep an eye out for FOD (Friends of Dorothy) or GLBT gatherings. Almost all cruise lines, with few exceptions, host one of these at LEAST once per cruise. Some, such as Cunard, host them every single day.

These gatherings are a great way to meet most of the other gay passengers on the ship.

My partner (26) and I (27) are from DC and are sailing with one of our friends from out in Los Angeles and his mom. We'll keep an eye out for you on board!

Hey thanks for the reply... sent you an email on aol, im me id ya get a chance

Welcome Greg. You are going to have a blast. Juan, glad you made it back safe. Can't wait to compare travel notes with you. This is going to be a tough, tough week for me at work so I am totally going to let myself destress on this cruise--with the help of Ben. : )

We are so looking forward to meeting everyone on board.

Walter

Welcome Greg. You are going to have a blast. Juan, glad you made it back safe. Can't wait to compare travel notes with you. This is going to be a tough, tough week for me at work so I am totally going to let myself destress on this cruise--with the help of Ben. : )

We are so looking forward to meeting everyone on board.

Walter

Walter: This is going to be a tough week for me too. Just got a new computer and it is not yet 100% up and running the way it should. Boss arrives in town tomorrow but that is not an issue as she is a great lady. Christmas party Thursday evening. Getting hair cut tomorrow. Coworker retirement party Friday evening. When will I have time to pack? I am going to destress with the help of a few drinks.

Looking forward to meeting you too!

Juan

I think Ben and I will get along fine with you guys too. We always drink more on vacation than at home. After all, we won't be driving anywhere. I am more than 1/2 packed for me that is good. Thursday we are both having pre-cruise spa treatments to help start the relaxation. Look forward to meeting you all on board.

Walter

Ernie: Have a safe flight!

I am mostly packed. The most important things have all been taken care of. Only minor incidentals and toiletries remain out. I had to do most of it tonight as I have parties to attend from tomorrow until Saturday. No chance of packing as the week comes to a close.

EVERYONE FLYING IN HAVE A SAFE FLIGHT!!!

Juan

At the Martini bar...have Togi (lead bartender- from Turkey) make your drinks...he is great. He put on Atlantis cd music for us to get the place festive. Tell him Tom sent you!

You will love the ship.......book Murano over Tuscan grill......

One last note........check out the tree suspended mid air in the main elevator shaft...very interesting idea.

Bon Voyage averybody...hope you enjoy the ship as much as I did on her inaugural.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

David and I arrived home this morning and I just wanted to say how nice it was to meet all of you. It was great chatting you up at the Martini bar or where ever we may have crossed paths onboard.

We hope you all make it home safely and have fantastic holidays. We are off again on Tuesday morning, we fly to Aruba to meet the Crystal Serenity. Just enough time to do laundry and pay bills!

For those of you who saw me waiting in the terminal while we tried to locate David's "lost luggage", we did. A porter brought it in just we were about to leave, no explanation of course!

Best wishes for a happy holiday season and New Year,

Regards,

Larry ( and David too!)

Ernie: Have a safe flight!

I am mostly packed. The most important things have all been taken care of. Only minor incidentals and toiletries remain out. I had to do most of it tonight as I have parties to attend from tomorrow until Saturday. No chance of packing as the week comes to a close.

EVERYONE FLYING IN HAVE A SAFE FLIGHT!!!

Juan

Juan, you handsome devil, you! ;)

Hi from BEAV & Gary.

I'd love to hear about your (and others) cruise aboard Solstice.

Happy Holidays!

Hello To All:

Just wanted to say that it was great meeting so many of you with whom I spent months chatting on these boards. The evenings at the Martini Bar will not be forgotten.

Ernie: Did you ever make it on the cruise? No one that I met had met you.

BEAV! How nice to hear from you. The ship was BEAUTIFUL! What an incredible job these people have done. A couple that I met who sails Crystal regularly said that this ship could give Crystal a run for its money.

Juan

Ernie: Did you ever make it on the cruise? No one that I met had met you.

Juan

Hey Juan,

I was there, even at the Martini Bar most nights (after dinner). ;)

I went to the Martini Bar the first night and no one was there. Went to Michael's Club the second night for the FOD party and again no one. I gave up.

I was with my partner and five other friends so I pretty much just hung out with them. My partner spent a lot of time in the suite we had which was fantastic. We were on a crazy dining schedule and only ate in the main dining room two nights. The rest of the time we had fairly late dinners in the specialty restaurants (LOVED every one of them!).

All in all it was a great cruise. I think SOLSTICE is my favorite new ship .... or at least tied with QM2 (another favorite of mine).

I'm sorry I missed you and the others .... perhaps next time. ;)

I'm thinking of REGAL EMPRESS on January 7th. This will probably be her last month in service. Not quite SOLSTICE but I would like to sail on this classic at least once before she is gone. The classic liners are few and far between these days.

Ernie

ps - I'll be posting a full review with pics over the weekend.

Archived