Solstice and the strict dress codes?

Checkmate1955

We have cruised on several cruise ships but have never cruised on a Celebrity Ship.... Is the Solstice doing the transatlantic without paying passengers this year? I have not been able to find that booking info...

As for the dress codes on Celebrity I have read a lot of comments here on Cruise Critic and it seems that those who cruise with Celebrity enjoy the very strict and formal dress code... If I understand correctly... there will be one formal night in which men are required to wear a tux and two more nights that you are expected to wear a coat and tie... Is this only for dinner? On a seven night cruise a man would be Required to wear a tux and/ or suit /sport coat / tie for 3 of those nights?

This would be a deal breaker for us if we are to be so formal on a cruise as we do not dress that way for eating out in nice restaruants 360 days of the year.. I read on one post that you could eat in the buffet and not dress formal but would have to sneak back to your room for the evening.... ?:p

Traditionally, on a seven-day cruise, there are two formal nights. Many gentlemen wear tuxes, but there are others that wear a suit and tie. As for being so formal, why wouldn't you want to do it up right, especially on a brand new ship? Since we are on the innaugural, my plan is to wear a sports jacket to dinner at the very least, and I've already purchased one new tie and vest for my tux. This is one ship that really deserves to be cruised on dressed to the nines.

As for eating in the buffet and "sneaking" back, I've seen all kinds of different apparel on formal nights, so I wouldn't say that you will be banished to steerage, so if you at least dressed "up" a little, I think you would be fine.

Traditionally, on a seven-day cruise, there are two formal nights. Many gentlemen wear tuxes, but there are others that wear a suit and tie. As for being so formal, why wouldn't you want to do it up right, especially on a brand new ship? Since we are on the innaugural, my plan is to wear a sports jacket to dinner at the very least, and I've already purchased one new tie and vest for my tux. This is one ship that really deserves to be cruised on dressed to the nines.

As for eating in the buffet and "sneaking" back, I've seen all kinds of different apparel on formal nights, so I wouldn't say that you will be banished to steerage, so if you at least dressed "up" a little, I think you would be fine.

I agree with jt1120 - if the previous op prefers a more informal shipboard experience, there are certainly other cruise lines that cater more closely to your preferences. Please be mindful that this is a special occasion for other pax who enjoy this aspect of Celebrity crusing, especially on the new and elegant Solstice.

On the other hand I have not seen any fashion police on =X= who banish you to your cabin for sartorial transgressions. The main thing, I believe, is be considerate of others when dressing for dinner and you'll be fine. :o

Dressing up is great and can be fun but a cruise ship should be fun without being required to dress to please others.... I now have read that the buffet is not a buffet for dinner... Why dress up for two or three nights when on such a beautiful ship dressing up for at least 6 nights would be more proper...:D Is the food and service that good on Celebrity that dressing up in formal attire is just logical?

The Queen Mary crossing the Atlantic would be where dressing formal for dinner would be reasonable...

Dressing up is great and can be fun but a cruise ship should be fun without being required to dress to please others.... I now have read that the buffet is not a buffet for dinner... Why dress up for two or three nights when on such a beautiful ship dressing up for at least 6 nights would be more proper...:D Is the food and service that good on Celebrity that dressing up in formal attire is just logical?

The Queen Mary crossing the Atlantic would be where dressing formal for dinner would be reasonable...

Checkmate1995: There's a big difference between being considerate of others and pleasing them. Please be mindful of that.

I can understand that....Cruising on Celebrity is more in the Old Time Traditional First Class cruising of days gone bye...

Being considerate of others is always the way to go... Be considerate of how they wish to dress... I have dressed up on cruises and I have dressed clean, neat and informal for dinner... I no longer wish to be told to dress formal for dinner... unless it pleases me or my family... I do not wish to please others for theirsake....

If you love to dress formal then do so.... if you wish to wear a sport coat and dress slacks and no tie then do so... be confortable and be true to yourself... But if Celebrity Cruise line wants it ships to be the First Class Formal Wear Required ship of the cruise industry then that is fine... But be considerate of others...

People definitely seem to adhere to the dress code more on Celebrity than its sister company, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity does have a stricter dress code (i.e. requiring tie and jacket on some nights vs. encouraging tie and jacket and also requiring people to remain in the dress code when going to shows/bars/lounges after dinner). If this is something that makes you uncomforable, there are plenty of cruise lines out there that you may find are more on par with the experience that you are seeking.

If you do choose to cruise with Celebrity your husband does not need a tuxedo; plenty of men opt for a dark suit and tie in lieu of the tuxedo. Another option is to rent a tuxedo onboard. You also can dress quite casually during the morning and afternoon (i.e. shorts and jeans are welcome prior to dinner time).

I can understand that....Cruising on Celebrity is more in the Old Time Traditional First Class cruising of days gone bye...

Being considerate of others is always the way to go... Be considerate of how they wish to dress... I have dressed up on cruises and I have dressed clean, neat and informal for dinner... I no longer wish to be told to dress formal for dinner... unless it pleases me or my family... I do not wish to please others for theirsake....

If you love to dress formal then do so.... if you wish to wear a sport coat and dress slacks and no tie then do so... be confortable and be true to yourself... But if Celebrity Cruise line wants it ships to be the First Class Formal Wear Required ship of the cruise industry then that is fine... But be considerate of others...

I don't understand the purpose of this thread since you appear to have made up your mind anyway. The dress codes are Celebrity's not the posters on this board imparting the info to you. Celebrity also does not have a buffet fleetwide and never has. There is a casual dinner which is served by waiters in the buffet area. The dress codes apply for the evening after 6:00P.M. and not just in the dining room.

For formal nights you'll be fine with a suit and tie. On informal nights most guys can get away with just a shirt and tie or a shirt and jacket.

After dinner, most people will remain in the dress code or some form of it (i.e. not many people will change into jeans or shorts). If you can dress to look like you are trying to adhere to the dress code, you should be fine throughout the ship. (Restaurants, theater, etc.)

In 1990 I took my very first cruise on the brand new Celebrity Horizon, and I did an awful lot of research before I chose that particular line. The main reason I chose Celebrity was because it represented the atmosphere and experience of elegance I was seeking. Formal dressing for dinner was and still is a critical aspect of that elegance I want when I cruise with Celebrity. Now, after all these years and 50+ cruises, there are times when I, too, don't feel in the mood to dress up for dinner every night, but those are the times when I choose a different cruise line...... Carnival, Norwegian or RCCL..... and I have a great time in a more casual atmosphere. As a devoutly loyal Celebrity fan, I truly hope they never change their dress code policy. For me, it is a large part of what sets them apart from the masses. I am booked on the Solstice in January and I sincerely hope the guests who are sailing on her will respect the cruise line's dress code policy. This beautifully elegant new ship deserves nothing less. Just my two cents worth.

I can see the error of my ways..... thanks to all who have suggested that I would be happier sailing on another cruise line... your comments fit right in there with the formal dress code and words like Gentleman instead of Man...

I have sailed on all major cruise lines except Celebrity and now with your help and insight to the pleasures of formal cruising I may have to wait a few more years before I am ready for the formal cruise life... Cruises are fun to me... but I understand that dressing to the 6's and 9's as Evita would say is fine for you but alas not for all. It is sad that I will not get to enjoy the formal barefoot in the grass on the new ships...

I have met many cruisers who have sailed Celebrity and love what they have to offer... so it must be good for the few, the proud, the:cool: Gentlemens and their Ladies....

I too, enjoy dressing up, but this time I'm renting a tux without the hassle of packing a suit (especially for an overseas cruise) and we also want to pack as light as possible!

I've done three cruises but never followed the code for semi-formal; I never brought along an extra jacket. Instead I will just wear a nice oxford and a tie with slacks and that should do just fine for the semi-formal nights. DW will probably just wear a nice summer dress. That should fit Celebrity's fashion code...but please tell me if I'm right or wrong on this?

Johnjen ~ you'll be fine with the dress you've described. It's pretty simple. Celebrity clearly defines their dress code and asks that passengers adhere to it. Most do. Some don't. Your described clothing will be acceptable.

I believe the OP has a sufficient answer to their question so I'm closing this thread. Again, dress code threads tend to head south pretty quickly.

Archived