Places to eat in Old San Juan

gonma

Hi! I recommend Dragonfly, Taste, Parrot Club, Mofongo, El Jibarito, La Bombonera, Old Harbor Brewery. Don't recommend Raices, the food is not good, very expensive and the service is horrible. The restaurant looks really pretty but it is not worth it. If you have been sitting down for 45 minutes having drinks, and appetizers and you have not ordered your entree, they rush you to order and without hesitation, they tell you that it affects their productivity (even though the restaurant is not full). If in one hour and a half, you have not finished eating, they bring you the check, without even asking if you want desserts. If you complain about it, when you finish and leave the restaurant, they applaud you! (how rude). This is not where you want to spend a nice time in Old San Juan. Go to Parrot Club instead, or any other place, you will be treated better. Also, they don't allow 2 separate checks.

I was at La Bombonera yesterday and the experience wasn't very good. Although there were empty tables, we waited forever for service and when the food finally came out it looked and tasted as if it had been precooked and then heated up. After all the hype I was really disappointed. Wish we'd gone to the Parrot Club instead - which is where my sister (who lives in PR) wanted to go!

anyone know if parrot Club dinner is served upstairs or just in the downstairs area-- the architecture of the building & the ceilings are worth a stop in --even if just for a Parrot Pasion!

The Parrot Club sounds like the place to go to eat. Where is it located? Does anyone have nay pictures? Thanks!

It's located on Fortaleza St. It's a stone's throw from the Sheraton. It's our favorite! It is just awesome and the desserts are to die for. Make sure you have a Parrot Passion drink!

Main Floor:

IMG_5696.jpg

Very romantic courtyard:

IMG_5691.jpg

How expensive is Parrot Club?

It's pretty expensive, plan on around $60 per person, depending on how many appetizers and drinks, but it's well worth it. We were around $210 with tip for 3 people.

Whoa! Way too big photos! Appreciate the idea, though.

We were at La Bombanero in December for lunch. It was packed, but we were seated quickly (upstairs by the rail so I got to watch them preparing the mallorcas). Food was great. Wait wasn't long at all, considering how busy they were.

I think the bill was about $12 + tip. I like that idea better than $60 pp! ;)

Whoa! Way too big photos! Appreciate the idea, though.

We were at La Bombanero in December for lunch. It was packed, but we were seated quickly (upstairs by the rail so I got to watch them preparing the mallorcas). Food was great. Wait wasn't long at all, considering how busy they were.

I think the bill was about $12 + tip. I like that idea better than $60 pp! ;)

What are you on, dial-up? ;)

Parrot club looks great, but not many vegetarian options.

I'm looking for a veg friendly, romantic restaurant for our 10 year anniversary the night before our cruise :) Preferrably one on the beach.

Any ideas??

Thanks!!

Parrot club looks great, but not many vegetarian options.

I'm looking for a veg friendly, romantic restaurant for our 10 year anniversary the night before our cruise :) Preferrably one on the beach.

Any ideas??Thanks!!

It is tough to find vegetarian food in PR! If you eat fish, Pamela's in Ocean Park is great. In OSJ, Ostra Cosa or El Picoteo.

If you don't do fish, your choices are VERY limited. Much or the PR food is made with pork for seasoning (the rice or the stewed beans or mofongos etc)

Cafe Berlin in OSJ has a number of vegetarian meals, but I can't say it is really romantic.

Maybe someone else will come up with something.

Much or the PR food is made with pork for seasoning (the rice or the stewed beans or mofongos etc)

Cafe Berlin in OSJ has a number of vegetarian meals, but I can't say it is really romantic.

Maybe someone else will come up with something.

Wow, even the rice. I'm glad you told me. I certainly don't want to get sick the night before the cruise because I thought I was "safe" from meat.

I found a few veg friendly restaurants, but yeah...not too romantic. I might call around. Some chefs like the challenge and you end up getting an amazing meal that is not on the menu.

thanks!!

Wow, even the rice. I'm glad you told me. I certainly don't want to get sick the night before the cruise because I thought I was "safe" from meat.

I found a few veg friendly restaurants, but yeah...not too romantic. I might call around. Some chefs like the challenge and you end up getting an amazing meal that is not on the menu.

thanks!!

The plain white rice should be meat free, but watch the rice with beans (arroz con gandules).

There are a number of Italian places that should have offerings without meat.

I found a vegetarian tower at the Parrot Club :) I've been reading about this place in the forums so I suppose this will be the place (unless we end up going to Veiques that night)

I hate to go somewhere and not eat local food, so I'm glad I didn't have to go with Italian or Chinese.

Can't wait to get to the islands and have fresh fruit, coconuts and juices!!

Thanks for your help!

Archived