Is there a web site that tracks a drop in cruise price so I can get a discount?

lobster129

I know there are several web sites that track air prices both pre and post flight purchase and email you when the price drops. Does anyone know if there is any site like this for cruise prices?

Several years ago the price of a cruise we were booked on dropped significantly and we were able to get a price adjustment from the cruise line. Yes, I realize they will not do it unless I ask for it.:rolleyes:

Just let me know of any cruise sites that anyone has used other than just keep checking the price at Celebrity's site.

Thanks,

Lobster129

I received this from an on line TA today. It covers what you were asking about:

This week, I'll try to answer one of the most common questions our customers ask: "If I book my cruise now, and later the price goes down, will I be able to get the lower price?"

Unfortunately, the decision of whether to allow a customer to re-ticket at a lower rate is not made by *********. It is made by the cruise line, and we must abide by the cruise line's policy when this situation arises. To help you make an informed decision, I'd like to share the three main types of price-protection policies that are currently enforced by the cruise lines. All are subject to change.

Of all the world's major cruise lines, only Crystal offers an unconditional price-protection policy. If you book a Crystal cruise, and at a later time the price is reduced for the category you reserved, Crystal will automatically adjust the price for your cruise to the lower rate. Congratulations to Crystal for having such a customer-friendly policy.

Next, there are several cruise lines that will, in most cases, adjust the price for your cruise if a lower rate becomes available for the category you've reserved, but only upon request, and only if the lower price is still being offered for new bookings at the time of the request. These cruise lines do not notify their already-booked customers of price reductions, but if you find on our Web site that the price for the category you reserved has been reduced, our cruise counselor can request the new price on your behalf. Cruise lines that fall into this category include Azamara, Celebrity, Cruise West, Cunard, Disney, P&O, Princess, Regent (Radisson), Royal Caribbean, Seabourn, SeaDream, Silversea, Star Clippers, Windstar and Voyages of Discovery. Please note that exceptions occasionally apply when a cruise line introduces a promotion that they specifically state is for new bookings only.

Finally, many cruise lines have gone the way of the major airlines, which do not reduce the fares of ticketed passengers when they cut the price for new bookings. On these lines, prices are locked in at the time of booking, and if the price subsequently falls, the new lower rate applies to new bookings only. If prices are reduced outside of the penalty period, which typically begins 75 to 90 days in advance of departure, these cruise lines may let us cancel your reservation and rebook you at the lower rate, although in some cases a nominal rebooking fee may apply. But if you are within the penalty period, you would have to pay the applicable cancellation penalties before rebooking, and the penalties almost always outweigh the savings. Cruise lines that fall into this category include Carnival, Costa, Fred. Olsen, Holland America, Hurtigruten, Majestic America (American West & Delta Queen), MSC Cruises, Norwegian, Oceania, Peter Deilmann, Uniworld and Viking River Cruises.

From the time a cruise itinerary is first released until the ship actually sails, there may be several price fluctuations and therefore several opportunities to snap up a bargain on any specific cruise. I list the best new price cuts every week in this letter, in my ***** and elsewhere. In addition, here are some tips for when to book that should help you secure the lowest rate.

For cruises departing from ports on the US mainland or in Canada, I generally recommend staying flexible on ship and departure date and waiting until 60 to 90 days before departure to book. Most ships, though not all, will be marked down during this time, and these prices will frequently prove to have been the lowest ever offered for that departure--lower than early-bird discounts, and lower than prices available within the last couple of weeks prior to departure.

Our ******* is the only way to find 100% of the best cruise deals remaining between 90 days and 1 day of departure. (Note: Since 9-11, it has not been possible to show up at a port on the day of departure and stand by for a "deal". You must book at least one full day in advance, and even these sailings are available on the *******.)

If you are interested in a one-way Gulf of Alaska cruise, a Hawaii cruise or any cruise that will require you to fly internationally, I recommend booking farther in advance in order to lock in airline seats while they are still available. Major US airlines will be grounding some planes starting in September because of record fuel prices and that will lead to higher ticket prices and shortages of seats to some cruise destinations. Since international airfares tend to climb as departure date approaches, I recommend booking at least 4-6 months in advance of departure to assure a seat and the best possible price.

I personally check the cruiseline and my TA websites from time to time to see if there are any new reductions. I have also been given the heads up from others on roll calls. As a result, for an upcoming cruise on HAL that is next yr I have been "re-fared" 2 times with a substantial disount!

I discovered the drop in prices for CC , for our cruise, (which ended up being a drop in the airfare price,) right on the Celebrity Site...it ended up we paid only $50pp more to move up from a 2b, And we got an aft too! You just have to keep on checking. After a few days the other balconies went higher than the CC price we'd paid. This only worked if we got the air tho, the cabin price remained the same!

In reality. most TA's rely on their clients to check for rate reductions.... if a TA is busy, they just do not have time to check all their clients bookings daily for rate drops.... do your TA a favor and give them a call if you see the rate on your cruise reduced and I am willing to bet they will look into it and try to get those fares lowered if applicable to your ship/sail date.

Now I am sure there will be someone that will fillow up my post and say that their super spectaular TA always monitors their booking, and perhaps their TA has the time to do this, but for the most part, rate reductions are advised from clients for their TA to look into for them. And of course there will be those that will say "This is why I book direct with the cruiseline so that I am in control of my booking and can get the rates reduced immediately by calling the cruiseline".

It's all a matter of personal preference of how and who you choose to book your cruise vacation with to check those rates ! :D

Any time we've been able to take advantage of a price reduction, it's because I was alerted to the price drop by other cruisers right here on CC or because I found it on the cruise line's or one of the major online travel websites. We have a great travel agent who we've been using for at least ten years but despite her great service, it's unreasonable to expect her to be able to check every one of her bookings for price changes on a daily basis. Therefore, because it's our dollars being expended, I routinely check the web for price changes - unfortunely, those changes are usually upward but we have managed to luck out several times.

We usually do our own bookings too....and keep checking on any price drops by going directly to the cruise line web site and also cruise critic. Of course you have no way of knowing how much others have paid for their cruise but posting any price drops on a roll call thread would be the best place to post it....you know they're already going too. I would love a program that would do it for me.

Have to agree with others - right here on cc's Roll Call boards is likely the best place to keep up.

Funnily enough, though I check X's site regularly to keep an eye on the prices, I was on my roll call today for Connie in November and learned of a price drop. What do you know, contacted my T/A this am. and right now I am grinning from ear to ear 'cos I just got a reduction of $660 - now that is the best one ever for me:D

I have found 2 $400 senior reductions for my Alaska cruise in August. I reported it to my TA each time with his comments, good catch, then he got the reductions. I agree with the others you are your own advocate, the TA doesn't have time to constantly check prices. I do this daily and to date it has been worth my time, $800 worth. :D

I have found 2 $400 senior reductions for my Alaska cruise in August. I reported it to my TA each time with his comments, good catch, then he got the reductions. I agree with the others you are your own advocate, the TA doesn't have time to constantly check prices. I do this daily and to date it has been worth my time, $800 worth. :D

Good catch!!

Where do you find the senior's discount Billiam? I check the Celebrity site almost everyday - but only the booking page. I've found reduced prices there, but never a senior's discount.

Thanks,

Dot

Nope. Thats where a good TA comes in handy...:D

Really? On the roll call for a cruise that we took recently, several people reported that their TAs did not check for price reductions. It was important because for some reason the price of that cruise dropped several times in the months prior to the cruise and we were all able to take advantage of the drop. Those with TAs had to call their TAs and tell them about the price drop.

It's best to keep checking on Celebrity's website yourself.

Really? On the roll call for a cruise that we took recently, several people reported that their TAs did not check for price reductions. It was important because for some reason the price of that cruise dropped several times in the months prior to the cruise and we were all able to take advantage of the drop. Those with TAs had to call their TAs and tell them about the price drop.

It's best to keep checking on Celebrity's website yourself.

I agree....check pricing frequently yourself. Sometimes we have to take a bit of responsibility for our travel ourselves and as long as my TA (if I use one at all) honors the reduction I'm good with that. I can't imagine a TA would have enough hours in the day to check on all their clients reservations and see if there were price drops.

For cruises departing from ports on the US mainland or in Canada, I generally recommend staying flexible on ship and departure date and waiting until 60 to 90 days before departure to book. Most ships, though not all, will be marked down during this time, and these prices will frequently prove to have been the lowest ever offered for that departure--lower than early-bird discounts, and lower than prices available within the last couple of weeks prior to departure.

I totaly disagree with this statement. It is true that there may be some reductions during the last month or two before a cruise sails. But the cabin selection on most cruises would be minimal. If you are looking for a real cheap deal on an inside cabin this MAY work. For example, I like to book AE Penthouse on NCL. Really good deal with suite privleges. Normally, these cabins are gone about one month after the cruise opens which would be about 1-1/2 years before the sail date. I have booked a CC on Connie for this January, already gone up $200 pp. And what do you do about your air reservations. Are you going to book this 60 to 90 days before you sail? Forget about using frequent flier miles. If you are flying into FLL or MIA during the winter, you may not even be able to get a flight at any price. I was very impressed with the explanation of different types of price reductions until this last statement. Any good TA will tell you to book as early as possible if you want to get the best choice of cabins at a good price. It's all about best value not best price. You can always get somehting less desireable at a lower price.

Giorgi-one, I agree with you on the price and value comment. We have learned that there are a few odd cabins on each ship that are under priced ( dollars per square foor or location ). We had to book the day the cruise came on line to get the one we wanted on our next trip. I guess it comes down to what makes you feel good about your vacation.

We have checked from time to time to see if prices have dropped. :) We can always use a little extra for the martini bar.

Keep well

Marg & Jim

Archived