Watch out for the Gold Ring Scam

Hi guys. Thought I would share our observations over the past two weeks in Paris. We have been approached several times and have seen others approached by locals who apparently found a men's gold wedding band on the street. In one instance, we actually saw the person skillfully drop it from his cuff in front of a group of tourists. The person asks the tourist if it belongs to him/ her, let's them hold it, starts to walk off and then asks if they would like to buy it from them for 20E-50E since they have no use for it but need money for...Just keep on walking. I'm assuming this is one of the newer scams going and is not confined to Paris. Amazing how many times I have seen the same gold ring in two weeks! Must be quite a few men out there missing their wedding bands- or quite a few tourists who paid many euros for some gold aluminum. :eek:

No kidding. We did not stop but are shocked at how many people we have seen that have stopped. Also, we are at Montmarte today. They had some magic trick/ coaster kind of thing going on. Literally, passed atleast 30 guys doing this on top of card board box type booths with lines of Americans opening their wallets up to 'place a bet' after they saw someone win. Sort of like a French roulette maybe? Gee...the someone that won sure looked French and seemed to win at more than one booth. We saw several groups of Americans handing over 50E bills. Literally, could not believe it. Montmarte is not St Germain if you know what I mean. It is a bit seedy so you would think these people would know better- would you hand over $75 to a street vendor for a magic trick in Manhatten, even if he had an accent? I'm guessing, no. There have been many pick pocket threads but apparently, it's just as easy to take our money out right. Common sense is still key.

We are also familiar with the wedding band scam. When someone tried it on us we would break out laughing and applaud loudly. The person trying to scam us would grin and walk away.

Also beware of the old beggar woman who sets up shop down the street from the Musee d'Orsay. She appears to be in her 80's, wears old black clothes and is bent over double and can hardly walk. I thought I could smell a scam so as we passed her I looked at her hands and it was easy to see these were not the hands of an old woman. I bent over and looked up into the woman's face, she was maybe 35, I winked at her and she smiled back... nice try !

Also beware of pretty young girls holding a piece of paper, they will ask you if you speak English. They will give you a sob story and try to hit you up for cash.

We were never the victims of the pickpockets but then again I always wear a money belt and have my shirt tucked in.

Despite the above I have to say that Paris is my favourite city and I would gladly vacation there every summer but my wife has called time out for a year and our next trip to europe will be to Rome followed by a cruise on the Solstice. Aint life tough ?

Yes..the ring scam happened to us too. We were waiting at a bus stop in Paris this February & my DH was chatting to the woman already there..he'll talk to anyone, ;). When I looked up from my map or whatever, I was just in time to see her trying to place a gold ring on his finger. I quickly pushed his hand away and told her to go away. My husband was somewhat shocked at my out of character behaviour, Lol! First time I have ever seen a scam in action...apart from the obvious street beggars of course. :D

....I was just in time to see her trying to place a gold ring on his finger.

I wonder what they do when a person says, "Yes, this is my lost ring."? I guess the scammer might ask for a reward, at which point you could give them a hearty "thank you" and a pat on the back and walk away with the ring on your finger. :D

I wonder what they do when a person says, "Yes, this is my lost ring."? I guess the scammer might ask for a reward, at which point you could give them a hearty "thank you" and a pat on the back and walk away with the ring on your finger. :D

Great answer! I'd love to hear of someone trying that...any adventurous cruisers on their way to Paris in the near future? :D

Most of the Paris street scammers are gypsies - known in most countries are the "Roma". Since they make their living from these sort of "Schemes", I doubt they'd simply let you "walk away". Stay away!!!

Most of the Paris street scammers are gypsies - known in most countries are the "Roma". Since they make their living from these sort of "Schemes", I doubt they'd simply let you "walk away". Stay away!!!

True ... they might let you walk away, but they'd probably have your wallet or the contents of your purse with them without you knowing it. Agree that anytime someone tries to get too close, it's not a good sign.

The people who fall for the scan deserve to be taken. They are probably the same folks who fall for the Nigerian inheritance scams. Bottom line is that some people are just terminally stupid.

DON

How do they get the money to cruise?

:confused:

That is the most original come back and would certainly confuse the scam artist. Might not be legal but then again, what they are doing isn't either so who are they to have you arrested?

And I don't get it. Who would be buying a ring that doesn't belong to them that was offered to them by a stranger on the streets. I'd be looking at this person like they just grew three heads. The incredible stupidity of people wanting to buy the ring is what gets me here.

David

Archived