Canada vs Caribbean

We are booked on the Jewel in September. Our previous cruising experiences have been warm weather blue water Caribbean trips.

I am assuming we will not be hearing poolside Calypso music on a regular basis. Nor do we expect to see people 'reserving' deck chairs at 8:30 in the morning. What other differences should we expect?

You won't need to take multiple showers each day and your dirty laundry won't be all yucky and sweaty when you repack it. At least those are the differences my family notices when we cruise to Alaska instead of the Caribbean. icon_smile.gif

No horse races, belly flop contests, sexiest legs contests, etc... out by the pool either.

You'll have the opportunity to buy hot chocolate in Royal Caribbean thermal mugs though. icon_wink.gif

<FONT SIZE=5><FONT FACE="Signature">Christy</FONT></FONT>

Rhapsody Of The Seas - 10/08/00 - Mexican Riviera - Our 7th Anniversary

Radiance Of The Seas - 06/28/03 - Alaska! - My parents 40th Anniversary

Navigator Of The Seas - 10/04/03 - Western Caribbean - Our 10th Anniversary

On the other hand...you will hopefully have beautiful sunny weather (anywhere from 55 to 65 degrees), fresh air, interesting seaside cities and communities and, depending on how late in September you are sailing, some of the most breathtaking scenes of fall foliage colour that you will ever encounter.

Enjoy your cruise. Please feel free to ask me about the ares you will visit..I live in New Brunswick, about 90 minutes from Saint John ( I assume you will be stopping there).

Cindy

Don't worry, the chair hogs will still be out there early in the morning. Instead of leaving their sunglasses on their chairs they will be leaving their thermal underwear..... icon_biggrin.gif

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=03>

<param name="day" value=19>

<param name="hour" value=17>

</applet>

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

We typically cruise the Caribbean, but did a Canada/New England cruise last October. What a difference. It was strange seeing everyone bundled up, and the pool decks empty. We sailed on the Grandeur of the Seas, and the Solarium was usually the happening spot. We spent a lot of time in the hot tubs. I would do another Canada/New England cruise in a heartbeat. The scenery was amazing, and it was great seeing so many ports in just 10 days. I absolutely LOVED it! I'm sure you will too.

Cindy--I am cruising HAL Maasdam(NE/Canada) on June 19-26. I was thinking 60's during the day, is that about right?

Marie

HAL - MAASDAM - June 2004/Canada/New England

RCI - Mariner of the Seas,

Sept 2004(CC Group Cruise)

Carnival Miracle -February 2005

RCI Majesty of the Seas - Spring Break, March 2005

Celebrity Mercury, April 2005

We have taken the NE/Canada cruise five time in just four years and are looking forward to returning this October. We love this trip - far different than the Caribbean. Be sure to visit the Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick. Tides can be up to 47 feet!

The people in Canada are the warmest people in the world!

peggy

Gee thanks Peggy. We'd love you to visit Toronto but the larger cruise ships don't stop stop here yet.

Hopefully someday we'll get to host all our great American cruise friends.

Rusty

stikdog_e0.gif

CARRIBEAN PRINCESS JAN 2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;01;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

CARNIVAL'S LEGEND JAN 2003

CELEBRITY'S CENTURY DEC 2003

cflbird2dog_e0.gif

Marie:

Yes, 60's for June is about right. You may get lucky and hit a few 70 or even 75 degree days,(and I sure hope you do,because I'll really enjoy them,too!)

And just in case you hit cooler weather, a nice warm sweater under a light jacket will carry you just about anywhere.

And don't forget your velveteen dress... icon_wink.gif

Peggy ..I was born and brought up around the beautiful Bay of Fundy, thanks for the kind words.

And thanks also for the compliment about Canadians. Although I do think that if you are a nice person yourself, you meet nice people wherever you go!

Looking forward to meeting some nice people aboard the Serenade on October 7th.

Aloha!

Did Serenade this past Sept. (9/11 to be exact). The first day out was very cold and breezy, then had day in Halifax... 75 (or could have been 80) and return day was also quick sunny and warm. Think they DID have some games around the pool. The solarium was a wonderful area to chill out and the cruise itself was a welcome change from the hustle/bustle of Carib. I'm looking now for a "good" price for going again during the summer .. this time w/family... the HAL cruises are very tempting.

Carolyn

CC - Thanks so much. Yes, I am hoping for some 70's, but 60's suits me just fine. Regardless, I know I am going to have a fabulous time surrounded by all that beauty. And, yes, I am packing the velveteeen icon_wink.gif. I have decided on a cruise, what the heck.

Marie

carolyn... thanks for your reply... i am actually going on the jewel (serenade's sister ship) on 9/11 of this year. i was thinking it would be kind of cold, but i guess i won't have to bring too many big parkas! glad to hear you had fun. i can't wait to go! i've been wanting to do canada/new england for years!

jstducky!

-----------------

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;9;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

...til 9/04 - Jewel of the Seas - Canada / New England

====================================

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

...til 7/04 - Zuiderdam - Western Caribbean

=====================================

7/03 - Zaandam - Alaska

4/03 - Norweigan Star - Hawaii

7/96 - Noordam - Alaska

7/96 - Golden Princess - Alaska

8/95 - Jubilee - Mexican Riviera

Carolyn - There are some good deals to be had with HAL right now. For some reason June does not seem to be filling up. I think all but one July sailing is sold out, if memory serves me right. Also, if you are a past guest on HAL or Carnival there are additional discounts for past guests.

Marie

We took the Canada cruise on September 20, 2003 for our anniversary and it was wonderful! The weather as warm (75-80 degrees), seas were calm and the Serenade of the Seas was gorgeous. There were even games around the pool.

If I were you I would take clothes for both cool and warm weather.

vine.gif

UNTIL I SET SAIL ON THE JEWEL OF THE SEAS

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;11;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

2hulagirls.gif

Layering is the secret when visiting our country in September. The days can be quite warm and the nights below freezing, with the early mornings and late afternoons in between. Enjoy

Island Princess Feb. 2004

Grand Princess Feb. 2002

Norwegian Sky Feb. 2001

Thanks...I will layer appropriately. The lack of hairy chest/legs/nostril/ear contests is not necessarily a bad thing. We are looking forward to a great time with hopefully good and cooperative weather.

No, the most popular cruises go about 300 miles inland. The sound of the hull scraping bottom has a tendency to disturb some people's sleep, but the resulting scenic views are worth it.

Island Princess Feb. 2004

Grand Princess Feb. 2002

Norwegian Sky Feb. 2001

We will be leaving Boston on board the Jewel on October 8 and look forward to being back in Maine and Canada. Look forward to seeing friends in Sydney and enjoying such wonderful food as the fries with gravy and cheese at Cherry's.

Last year in the old part of Quebec City we saw a most interesting wall that had been painted. I understand that there are three more of these walls in the city. Does anyone know where they are?

peggy

Archived