Purchase cartouche on RCCL excursion using cc?

cadburysmom

Will be taking the Caravans in the Sands excursion while on our RCCL cruise visiting Egypt this month and have heard you can order cartouches during the bus ride to Cairo and they will have them ready by the end of the day. Am very interesting in buying one for me as well as my mom and SIL. Do they accept credit cards as payment or do they require cash? And if cash, does it need to be local currency? I'd prefer to use credit card.

Also, was a selection of scarab jewelry offered as well?

Thanks!:)

• 2 weeks later...

We went into the jewelry store and used our credit card - no problem at all. They were ready and waiting for us when we arrived. It was a large store with lots of jewelry.

You will be given the choice of yellow gold, white gold...a combination of the two and silver. Lots of different sizes as well. I love mine and I am so glad I bought one.

(You might want to use the bathroom there as it is a long bus ride back to the ship and the bathroom on the bus will have been used by lots of people by that point.)

I am interested in purchasing a yellow gold cartouche on our trip to Cairo on our cruise too. Can you give me an idea of the prices? Was it by the number of symbols, weight of the gold, or a set price. Did you have your first or last name done on the cartouche?

Thanks

TXTraveler

Someone posted this link for a jewelry store in Cairo a few months back here on CC. You can see prices.They said the items were great quality and that you can call them while in Cairo and they will deliver the pieces right to your van or Cairo hotel and you don't have to pay to have them shipped. Members of their tour group found these prices and quality better than what was shown to them from other vendors.

http://gouzlan.com/index.html

Someone posted this link for a jewelry store in Cairo a few months back here on CC. You can see prices.They said the items were great quality and that you can call them while in Cairo and they will deliver the pieces right to your van or Cairo hotel and you don't have to pay to have them shipped. Members of their tour group found these prices and quality better than what was shown to them from other vendors.

http://gouzlan.com/index.html

Thanks for the info. I also love your quote.

TXTraveler

We just got back from our trip. The yellow gold cartouche pendants varied in price from about $100 US to over $500 depending on the style and size. Most were available in 3 sizes depending on the # of symbols you wanted. The more expensive ones were double sided.

They had cartouche pendants, earrings, bracelets, etc. They also offered scarab, ankh, pyramid, and other egyptian jewelry. Huge selection. All in gold, silver, or a combination. The silver cartouches were around $30 or $40.

The shop that our tour got the jewelry and papayrus art from was called Merit Bazar. If you google them, they have a website. A very small selection of their merchandise is available online with prices.

They took credit cards, but they prefered US $ in cash. They were extremely busy, and those using credit cards had to wait a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Fancycroozer,

Keep us posted on how your trip when and buying your coartouches we sail Jan 09. Are you taking a private tour or ship tour? I don't know if the ship tour goes into the jewelry store mentioned if so I would think you can order them ahead of time and pick them up or order ahead and maybe they can deliver to your hotel.

Thanks,

Tanya

you can see them making them in the cartouche store at http://www.youtube.com/smeyer418

they are making mine. Silver with gold lettering. they will take cc's and any other major currency(USD Euro, Pounds sterling etc)....Price depends on quality and your negotiating skill. Your guide gets their share for helping you(there is a wholesale price and a retail price the retail price includes the commission) Its Egypt after all is this is the way it is for time immemorial(the merchant gets the customer through the guide consider him/her yoiur TA who is also paid a commission)

I bought 10 for about $100 US....the gold lettered ones were slightly more expensive....

you can see them making them in the cartouche store at www.youtube.com/smeyer418

they are making mine. Silver with gold lettering. they will take cc's and any other major currency(USD Euro, Pounds sterling etc)....Price depends on quality and your negotiating skill. Your guide gets their share for helping you(there is a wholesale price and a retail price the retail price includes the commission) Its Egypt after all is this is the way it is for time immemorial(the merchant gets the customer through the guide consider him/her yoiur TA who is also paid a commission)

I bought 10 for about $100 US....the gold lettered ones were slightly more expensive....

Hello, did you mean you purchased 10 cartouche for total $100? If so, you are quite the negotiator. I will definitely need to hone my skills, not use to doing this :). Do you recall the name of the shop you purchased them? Enjoyed your cartouche videos and others. We are staying at Mena house for two nights pre Nile cruise. Can't wait!

Hello, did you mean you purchased 10 cartouche for total $100? If so, you are quite the negotiator. I will definitely need to hone my skills, not use to doing this :). Do you recall the name of the shop you purchased them? Enjoyed your cartouche videos and others. We are staying at Mena house for two nights pre Nile cruise. Can't wait!

yes silver ones as gifts....It was in Luxor...its right behind the police station next to the fair trade store.(everything is cheaper in Luxor) In Luxor no matter where you order them they are made at this store...

Tell the owner fal mish mish says hello....he reminded me of a thin Sydney Greenstreet...

IMG_3656.jpg.b84f7d553675f04900a8ad31d5f83a21.jpg

Archived