Disembarking early on NCL

London Lad

Hi all :)

We're on a cruise with NCL in August and were considering disembarking a day early (in Villefranche/Nice) rather than in Barcelona. Mainly because it's much easier for us to get home from Nice Airport, not to mention the veritable chaos associated with disembarkation day and the fact that we have a specific committment on disembarkation day in London.

When I mentioned this to my TA, she informed me that NCL does not allow early disembarkations:eek: . I find this a little hard to believe. How could they prevent us from disembarking when we want? What happens if there was a personal emergency, or something of that ilk?:confused:

So, I would like to know if anyone reading this has had a requirement to disembark early and how to effectively go about it with NCL? Can they really keep you on the ship against your wishes?

Thank you in advance

Gene

Hi all :)

We're on a cruise with NCL in August and were considering disembarking a day early (in Villefranche/Nice) rather than in Barcelona. Mainly because it's much easier for us to get home from Nice Airport, not to mention the veritable chaos associated with disembarkation day and the fact that we have a specific committment on disembarkation day in London.

When I mentioned this to my TA, she informed me that NCL does not allow early disembarkations:eek: . I find this a little hard to believe. How could they prevent us from disembarking when we want? What happens if there was a personal emergency, or something of that ilk?:confused:

So, I would like to know if anyone reading this has had a requirement to disembark early and how to effectively go about it with NCL? Can they really keep you on the ship against your wishes?

Thank you in advance

Gene

I don't see how they can stop you?

Thats what I thought. How could they prevent me from disembarking when I want? Unless there's some exotic immigration thing going on...

I'm hoping someone has disembarked early with NCL and has a story to share.

Gene

They can stop you fr taking your bags off. And they will. It's a little thing called Customs and Immigration. Pesky laws!

The local officials are set up to clear you at the port of disembarkation but not in the port the day before. You can't just get off the ship with your bags and go to the airport - you would likely be breaking the law beacuse you had not been properly cleared to enter the country.

When you arrive via ship for a port of call, they do not check your bags because you you do not take them off the ship. To disembark with your bags and not go through customs would be breaking the law.

NCL and the local authorities would have to go to special effort to take care of you, so you could have the convenience you are looking for. I don't think they will do that without some special prior arrangement. It may be possible to do what you want, but it will take more than just telling NCL you are leaving.

They can stop you fr taking your bags off. And they will. It's a little thing called Customs and Immigration. Pesky laws!

The local officials are set up to clear you at the port of disembarkation but not in the port the day before. You can't just get off the ship with your bags and go to the airport - you would likely be breaking the law beacuse you had not been properly cleared to enter the country.

When you arrive via ship for a port of call, they do not check your bags because you you do not take them off the ship. To disembark with your bags and not go through customs would be breaking the law.

NCL and the local authorities would have to go to special effort to take care of you, so you could have the convenience you are looking for. I don't think they will do that without some special prior arrangement. It may be possible to do what you want, but it will take more than just telling NCL you are leaving.

Thanks for this. This is what I am looking for...

So do you think I should try to contact NCL again and see if I can arrange this? Has anyone else succeeded in disembarking early?

Now Salty.. I'm just asking this because I honestly do not know... but what about people that have a death in their family or for what ever reason need to go home immediately? Could the OP request something along those lines from NCL? To make some arrangement for him to get off a port early?

When I weas getting on the Jewel after a day in Rome we met a young man and his mother on the gangway. He was just joining the ship (about halfway through our 15 day Transatlantic). I asked why and he said he was performing on the ship.

I am sure there are cases, but I would go through NCL and have everything in writing to expedite it when the time came.

I shouldn't think that would apply as I'm assuming the OP holds an EU passport and is free to travel unrestricted throughout Europe's EU states.

NCL would have to make arrangement with the port authorities..so, yes, you have to ask them. if people leave due to other reasons, same thing..NCL works with the local authorities.

with all the EU stuff, it may be easier, now...then before the EU?

i know that when people cruise out of the state, they have to go to a foreign port before they can leave the ship....big fines otherwise.

if the port authorities/custom officials charge the ship a fine, then the OP would have to pay that fine? or it could be a simple thing, got to talk to NCL to find out for sure.

I think this is "opinion" masquerading as "fact."

Putting aside issues of NCL policy (which is not law)...

First, I'm really not sure why luggage would legally matter (or even what would consitute too much luggage as people already carry backpacks, purses, etc. off ships all the time). Moreover, I presume the French would rather have me there illegally with (vs. without) clothing. So, this arguement makes no sense.

Second, to whatever degree law is an issue generally, I'm certain that customs and immigration law would vary depending on geography. And, to Jimmy's Chippy's point above, the rules are very different for EU passport holders within the EU (much like Georgia lets me freely enter from Florida). Indeed, I believe even Americans can freely travel without customs and immigration inspections between many (though not all, always) EU countries once they've been lawfully admitted to one. I know I've done this (with luggage in hand :rolleyes:) many times between France, Italy, Austria, Germany, Belgium, and Holland.

I shouldn't think that would apply as I'm assuming the OP holds an EU passport and is free to travel unrestricted throughout Europe's EU states.

... Just to mix things up a bit...

I live in the UK (Watford to be exact), but I am american with a US passport.

These days, passport control, especially in the EU, is on the entrance side, not the exit side. So from France, I should be able to walk through Nice airport, check in, and the only person who would want to look at my passport is the person at check-in, and they're only checking to see if my passport is valid.

So, should I just throw a few deck-chairs overboard the night before? :eek: That would get me off the ship the following day for sure (not that I would do that, of course). But seriously. If I clearly stated that I need to leave the ship in Villefranche to the Purser, don't you think they would try to assist?

G

... Just to mix things up a bit...

I live in the UK (Watford to be exact), but I am american with a US passport.

There's always an awkward one isn't there?;)

I'm not sure now, to be honest. It all depends on wether your UK credentials mean you're entitled to unrestricted EU travel. When you travel in Europe, do you have to get a visa before you enter every country?

I would contact NCL directly and ask them if it is possible to disembark one day early and see what they say. I know several years ago I left an NCL Caribbean cruise ship early in Tortola as my daughter's senior play was rescheduled after we made final payment and it was no problem. There may be an issue due to European customs but you won't know until you ask. Good luck

We just got back from 14 nights on Jade.

It was my first cruise and one thing that constantly surprised me was the lack of any immigration control arriving at the ports.

Not once did I show any photo ID at embarkation or disembarkation - and this was true for all passengers (including the Americans). All you had to do was show your room card (and swipe it for the NCL security guys on the actual ship).

I think it is safe to say these large cruise liners have some special concessions made to them for the purposes of immigration so I can see why you disembarking somewhere other than final destination might be a problem for them.

For the ship, you do not need any photo ID because when you boarded the ship, they slipped your SeaPass (or whatever NCL calls it) into a machine and took your picture, so whenever you swipe that card leaving the ship your picture is displayed to the person behind the machine and they can see it is you. Same when coming back on. As to authorities in the ports, that is up to them. I have had to show ID in the Bahamas, but don't remember about Europe. But it sounds like this is a situation that the OP's TA is not familiar with, and he needs to check with NCL. EM

We just got back from 14 nights on Jade.

It was my first cruise and one thing that constantly surprised me was the lack of any immigration control arriving at the ports.

Not once did I show any photo ID at embarkation or disembarkation - and this was true for all passengers (including the Americans). All you had to do was show your room card (and swipe it for the NCL security guys on the actual ship).

I think it is safe to say these large cruise liners have some special concessions made to them for the purposes of immigration so I can see why you disembarking somewhere other than final destination might be a problem for them.

When you swipe off YOUR picture comes up on their screen so they know who has left the ship. They also know who hasn't got back on the miracles of computers. You would have had to close your account charge account when you are leaving the ebst thing to do is WRITE or email the special services person for your ship and tell them you want to make arrangements to get off in Nice(or where ever) they should be able to tell you what you need to do. The CSR's at the customer service line are not knowledgeable about this.

We were day 2 on a cruise when we had a death in our immediate family. We let the customer service desk know what our travel plans were. When a ship enters port the customs and immigration staff from that country board the ship and check passenger information. We were leaving from Belize and when we landed we were called to this room with our luggage and cleared by local immigration (all they did was ask why we were leaving and checked our passports). Our flight was not until ~2p so we stayed on the ship and ate lunch before we left.

I will say that because we entered and left Belize on the same day we were "tagged" and had additional security checks in every other airport.

Hope this helps

And to make things more confusing, just because your travels are all within the EU, does NOT mean that individual countries don't have their own cabotage laws, like the US does with the PVSA. Italy, for one, has cabotage laws that can prevent someone from getting off the ship in one port and rejoining in another italian port.

The best advice is to attempt calling NCL directly and see if you can make arrangements to do this. It may just be that your travel agent doesn't want to take the work to find out if it's possible.

When you swipe off YOUR picture comes up on their screen so they know who has left the ship. They also know who hasn't got back on the miracles of computers. You would have had to close your account charge account when you are leaving the ebst thing to do is WRITE or email the special services person for your ship and tell them you want to make arrangements to get off in Nice(or where ever) they should be able to tell you what you need to do. The CSR's at the customer service line are not knowledgeable about this.

I realise this - everyone can see the photos.

The point is who is doing the checking. NCL's staff man the terminals at the boat, looking at the pictures. There is no control from any of the actual port authorities in Europe it seems of ID - they just XRAY stuff to make sure you aren't smuggling.

In an airport, the checkin staff do look at your passport - but customs officials in the destination country will always check passports.

I wonder how they actually police visas etc. if I was someone who didn't have the right to travel freely in Europe would NCL flag it? Do they check all passports have the correct visas?

Good point - I did not think of that angle. But has he been out of the E.U. during the cruise? Then he would definitely need to clear customs upon return.

About a death in the family or the like, yes, they will make special arrangements to assist in such a crisis, but for someone with no emergency, I don't know if they would want to. But with advance planning it is probably possible, I don't know for sure.

Yes it can be done but it takes a little persistence. We are traveling on the Jade next week and some of our party wanted to get off in Brugge rather than traveling back to Southampton. We called NCL they said that US Homeland Security would not allow it. (Not sure what Homeland Security has to do with a foreign vessel in a foreign port). We then called our TA who gave us the email of the Ship's Coordinator. We emailed her a few times and finally got a response saying that she would need to clear it with Security. No reponse for a week or so. We emailed back saying we needed to know ASAP since plans had to be made. She emailed back that we had been approved for early disembarkation.

Archived