Mexican Riviera out of LA

daisey

I am thinking of sailing with a group on the Pride out of LA to the Mexican Riviera on March 1, 2009. We would stop at Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas.

Anyone who has done this sailing.......how is the weather up on deck that time of the year since we would have three days at sea? Also, is the sea rough from LA to Mexico and then back?

Any other info about the cruise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Daisey

I went last year at the end of February beginning of March. The first day at sea is chilly. The 2nd day it gets a little warmer as you pass by Cabo on your way to PV. The water in PV was great. The last time I went to the beach in Cabo in March the water was too cold for me. The last sea day can be very chilly as well as you are heading back north. Have a great time and if you have any other questions just ask.

Candi

Hi Candi

Do you remember if the water was rough? I get seasick. I figured if it was chilly and breezy the water might be rough too. My husband thinks the water will be too rough for me at that time of the year in the Pacific.

Daisey

Hi Candi

Do you remember if the water was rough? I get seasick. I figured if it was chilly and breezy the water might be rough too. My husband thinks the water will be too rough for me at that time of the year in the Pacific.

Daisey

There is always the chance for somewhat rough water on the Pacific on the return trip since the wind and waves are coming straight at you from the north. Sometimes it's better than other times, but you can always 'feel' it. It's not like crossing the north atlantic! Take some seasick meds and you'll be fine. We were with a group of 33 friends two cruises ago and a couple people used meds and most didn't use anything and everyone was fine. The roughest cruise we've been on was out of New Orleans a few years ago!

We did the MR a few years ago on the Spirit to Acapulco, Ixtapa and Manzinillo. Comeing back it was rough. I heard one othe guest call it the Baha bash..they weren't kidding:eek: We went up and came back down a few times that it felt like we hit a brick wall.I get sea sick too but I find the sea sick bands work for me. I prefer not to use gravol as it makes me very whoosy.Some people say ginger works too.I don't know but I think I like the MR better in something then the Caribbean but, try it if the water is too rough bring sea sick bands..You have to wear both!I got a set yesterday for my DS'S from CAA ( you have AAA) for 7.95.

Thanks for the responses......

My group has traveled together for about 10 years now and we have done most of the usual cruise islands. The last three years we did all-inclusives, they are wonderful!!! Now it is hard getting the group to go back to a cruise but this itinerary sounded so great I thought they would enjoy it. I just don't know if I can chance hitting rough water for myself or my group. I take Bonnine but that only does so much and you just don't feel 100%.

Daisey

I am thinking of sailing with a group on the Pride out of LA to the Mexican Riviera on March 1, 2009. We would stop at Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas.

Anyone who has done this sailing.......how is the weather up on deck that time of the year since we would have three days at sea? Also, is the sea rough from LA to Mexico and then back?

Thanks!

Daisey

I've cruised the Mexican Riviera 10 times (its local for me :D ) and the PRIDE twice . . . my favorite Carnival ship.:)

In the winter time, the 1st day at sea can be a bit "brisk" for sunbathing, but by noon on the 2nd day you're well into Mexican waters and going by Los Cabos so its usually perfect for being on the deck. The payoff for traveling in the winter time is the ports of Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Los Cabos aren't so blazingly HOT ! ! Of course, the last day at sea is a little cooler as you're returning to Long Beach.

Yes, with the currents coming down the coast from Alaska, the Pacific can be a little rough when traveling on the way home (North), especially when crossing the mouth of the Sea of Cortez. Sometimes heavy winds and seas. Once on the ELATION, I saw 35-40 foot seas with the Captain hauling a$$ to get an ill pax to Los Cabos. With all outside doors LOCKED so no pax could go out on the 3rd deck off the Atrium Bar, the ship was pitching every which way. It was evident on the faces of many paxs, carrying barf bags everywhere they went, that this would maybe be their last cruise ! ! :rolleyes:

Overall, the sailing is usually very smooth, especially with the larger ships, and the weather can't be beat, IMHO. :) I grew up on the water and never get sea sick, so I'm sorry, I can't help you with any remedies that others swear by.

Well if you want to sail on "Pride", I would do this cruise as that ship will be repositioned to make way for the newest ship Splendor. Or you may want to want another month to sail on this new ship.

I don't remember the waters being rough on the way back, it wasn't bad at all. The weather gets much more cooler while sailing along the baja coast. The weather gets much hotter and humid the further south you go.

Its a nice cruise to take, I would recommend you take it.

Thanks!

Daisey

Thanks for all your help!

I think I'm going to do the cruise.....I will pack extra Boninne and definitely get a cabin mid-ship and on a lower deck. The itinerary looks great!!

Daisey

Archived