Driving from Skagway to Carcross

mommacl

Does anyone know where I might get a map & info on driving to Carcross from Skagway. I've read on several posts that it's a very nice trip. We're doing two major excursions(Salmon/Halibut fishing in Katchikan & Flying over Juneau icefield) before Skagway, this seams like a good option for us.

Any insite will be helpful.;)

Does anyone know where I might get a map & info on driving to Carcross from Skagway. I've read on several posts that it's a very nice trip. We're doing two major excursions(Salmon/Halibut fishing in Katchikan & Flying over Juneau icefield) before Skagway, this seams like a good option for us.

Any insite will be helpful.;)

It is a delightful trip. There are many beautiful sites, and photo ops along the route.

Murray's map is wonderful. (It was free at the time we cruised, but well worth five dollars.)

I might suggest that you reserve your car rental prior to your trip.

Some have waited till they arrive in Skagway only to find that there are no vehicles available.

We rented through AVIS, online, months prior to our cruise. This was an easy process. We were very pleased with their service, and the vehicle.

There are other options too, but we did not check them out.

Good Luck and be prepared to enjoy every minute of your Alaska Cruise.

There is ONE road in and out of Skagway and it is the road to Carcross....you can find MANY FREE maps if you Google it that have the points of interest pointed out along the way...:cool:

And the advice to reserve your car is a good one or don't expect to be driving anywhere....Avis is right downtown, easy to find and easy in and out.. and they have maps if you can't find the one highway out of town!;)

My top recommendation is to take the train round trip. You see amazing vistas. If you don't take the train, my next suggestion is to drive the route you are questioning. As someone said, you can't get lost. One road there.. same road back.. LOL

We used Murray's Guide a few years ago on our NCL Star cruise to Alaska. It was, hands-down, one of the best things we had ever done in a port. EVER!!! We loved stopping at all the unique places he had mentioned: blackberry bushes at mile XXX, potential bears at mile XXX, the world's smallest desert (really!) at mile XXX, and so on. WE had our young kids with us and were able to stop along the way and let them play in the snow, which is quite exciting since we are from Florida.

Neatest moment of the trip--we stopped in the middle of nowhere--I mean NOWHERE. My DH laid down in the middle of the road on the yellow line) and I took a photo. It was so uninhabited, and there were no cars anywhere to be seen. Amazing!

I highly recommend his guide!

And like the others have said--there is only one road. No way to get lost.

CeleBrat

We used his services, he is rather known around the area and know just about everything you would ever want to know. We we six he picked us up in his van. We were very comfy. he did the driving and story telling. Stopped wherever we wanted to stop. We left directly from the dock so we were able to beat the tour buses and other rental car drivers. He was able to spot 2 bears for us, since he knows what to look for. Then he took us to a local dive for lunch. One of our best excursions :)

PS you can get a copy of the route in the local tourist paper that they have all around town

I don't imagine there are very many local dives to choose from out there. Maybe in Carcross there is food, but probably not much else between there and Skagway. Correct me if I am wrong.

We are renting from Avis and going this way in four weeks or so. I bought Murray's guide and it was well worth the five bucks!

Actually it is a local diner that is attached to the gas station. We had the best fry bread there. When we went in we were the only non-locals there. Dave knew everyone though. We also saw the "real" town of Carcross where all the locals live and where the first nations people live. It was a great tour.

Reading this thread is making me miss Alaska even more. What I find so odd is, we have a cruise booked this October and one booked Nov 09. Because the one in Nov 09 is 14 days, I don't think we will be able to do Alaska next year and I'm sad because of that. How anyone can be sad with two cruises booked is beyond me, but I guess that speaks about how wonderful I think Alaska is. We almost booked a B2B for Alaska next year, but choose this 14 day repo cruise through the Caribbean because it literally goes to places we have never been to before, with the exception of three ports we have already been to, but loved them. Once we take that cruise, we can say we have been every where in the Caribbean we have wanted to go to.

We did the drive a couple of weeks ago. Some people lke the Murray Guide but if you stop at all the places he mentions passengers may not be too happy, so use it selectively or as follow-up after the drive. Be sure to go to Emerald Lake after Carcross. You can make a no-cost advance reservation with Avis, they don't even ask for your card details, and it cost us $102 for a medium compact car + about £33 gas. We also used the car to take in also the gold rush cemetery and the view point over Skagway from the road to Dyea & saw it as insurance against cold, rainy weather.

The other main company is Sourdough which gets some bad reports on internet sites. We had no dealings with them but we met a group who had rented a vehicle from SD. It looked quite new & fine & the group were very happy with Sourdough. We saw the bear without using the Murray guide - I think he's got used to waving at the tourists unfortunately!

If you get off fairly early it ought to be possible to make the drive even more intersting by doing a loop from Carcross north to the Alaka Highway then east to Marsh Lake, SE to Teslin, then West back to Taglish and then to Carcross & return back to Skagway. We didn't do that, we just returned from Emerald Lake, as most people do, but I would be interested to hear from anyone who knows the area who could say whether this 'loop' would be viable for a day's run? Have fun.

If you get off fairly early it ought to be possible to make the drive even more intersting by doing a loop from Carcross north to the Alaka Highway then east to Marsh Lake, SE to Teslin, then West back to Taglish and then to Carcross & return back to Skagway. We didn't do that, we just returned from Emerald Lake, as most people do, but I would be interested to hear from anyone who knows the area who could say whether this 'loop' would be viable for a day's run? Have fun.

It is possible in theory, IF you've been to Skagway so many times that you're bored with it, and IF you just like driving (300+ miles). It's a pleasant drive on average, but pretty dull compared to the spectacular Skagway to Emerald Lake section.

We have done the drive twice, using Murray's great guide. There is really no need for a map. It is a lot of fun to download the satellite pictures and follow along as you drive!

Two things I recommend strongly: Lunch at Spirit Lake, just past Caribou Crossing. And the dog cart rides at Caribou Crossing! (Make reservations in advance http://www.cariboucrossing.ca)

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Could you please advise if it would be best to go on to Emerald Lake and then come back to Carcross after more of the crowd has left? Would that even be feasible? I want to get back to Skagway as early as possible to be able to see the town. Thanks

Archived