Royal Palms or Sea Grape?

lindalo5032

Ummm, I did a search for Sea Grape to see if they had a website. I found this link http://www.webshots.com/search?query=sea+grape+beach+grand+cayman&new=1&source=search_results_top with some really nice photos of Sea Grape. I really wanted to go to Royal Palms but now, I am really thinking of Sea Grape. I went to Royal Palm Reef Grill website to compare beach photos. Sea Grape Beach ocean part looks so much clearer than Royal Palms. Ooo Lordy help me decide.

I haven't been to Sea Grape but from those pictures it looks like the beach is narrower then it is at the Reef Grill/Royal Palms. I don't think the webcams at the Reef Grill website do the beach justice. Here is a picture that shows how big the beach area is at the Reef Grill. There is this section and the area between the Reef Grill and the water. I think you would have a great day at either spot - over all they seem very similar.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2319527540015086222uwkaUa

Ummm, I did a search for Sea Grape to see if they had a website. I found this link http://www.webshots.com/search?query=sea+grape+beach+grand+cayman&new=1&source=search_results_top with some really nice photos of Sea Grape. I really wanted to go to Royal Palms but now, I am really thinking of Sea Grape. I went to Royal Palm Reef Grill website to compare beach photos. Sea Grape Beach ocean part looks so much clearer than Royal Palms. Ooo Lordy help me decide.

It is not something to worry about. Which ever one of the two you pick will be fine.

I haven't been to Sea Grape but from those pictures it looks like the beach is narrower then it is at the Reef Grill/Royal Palms. I don't think the webcams at the Reef Grill website do the beach justice. Here is a picture that shows how big the beach area is at the Reef Grill. There is this section and the area between the Reef Grill and the water. I think you would have a great day at either spot - over all they seem very similar.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2319527540015086222uwkaUa

Now look at you...pretty. Ok, back to Royal Palms I go. I am so indecisive.

It is not something to worry about. Which ever one of the two you pick will be fine.

Ok, then I'll stick to my first choice and stay with Royal.

We are going to GC next month. I'll have two kids with me, ages 3 and 8. Would Royal Palms be the way to go? I'd like to be near the port, have clean bathrooms and showers, a little shade and calmer relatively shallow waters. I know Royal Palms has a restaraunt, is Reef Grill anywhere nearby? I keep hearing about that place, too... Any thoughts or ideas are welcome, THANKS!

spaceflower - the Reef Grill and Royal Palms are on the same property. The Royal Palms is a sitdown enclosed restaurant and the Reef Grill is an open-air bar and grill. I think that would be a great place to spend some time with your kids. Make sure to bring some sand toys!

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Thanks guys! I figured that out just after posting -- you've all helped me make my decision. I think Royal Palms is definitely the way for us to go... Now does anyone know how far of a walk Royal Palms is from the ship terminal? Like, would it take 15-20 minutes to walk it or should we take the bus? My kids like to walk, so I wouldn't mind walking up to 30 minutes, but more than that and I'll opt for the bus. After all, we'll have "stuff" with us! :) THANKS!!

We are a family of 7 (grandparents, DD, SIL, and 3 grandkids ages 6, 9, 10), trying to decide between Royal Palms or Sea Grape beach. I know both have chairs and umbrellas, which we will need. Carnival now has an excursion to Sea Grape, so I'm wondering if it will be more crowded than Royal Palms. The cab fare to Royal Palms might be a little less, since it is closer. Does anyone have a recommendation, or does it really not make any difference?

I agree with your logic about Sea Grape being a bit more crowded, since the ship has an excursion there. We saw Sea Grape but decided to go back to Royal Palms because it was just a $4 ride. The driver wanted $5 for Sea Grape, and we were a large group. He claims, he thought we wanted Sea Grape. He was dropping people off at Sea Grape anyway. I know we said we wanted Royal Palms. The driver was trying to earn an extra $10.

We found some shade under some trees near the outdoor Reef Grill restaurant. The bathroom was large and the showers were good. When we were ready to leave there were taxis waiting.

It was nice to be able to see the ship from the beach. The beach was very nice. I don't think it really matters which beach you choose.

To spaceflower- It is just a little too far to walk. However, There are beaches you can walk to but NOT Royal Palms.

We went to Royal Palms last July and it was just a gorgeous area! Our family of 5 took a taxi about 8am and I think it was $20 total. We walked through the entrance and to the beach and then turned right and walked on a ways. Found a deserted area of beach, put down our towels and spent about 2 - 3 hours in the water! The water is so clear and warm - it is unbelievable! The sand is very soft and the waves were gentle. It never did get crowded while we were there. Such beautiful views and we could see all the cruise ships lined up in the distance.

The restaurant area looked nice and we did use their restrooms which were fine. We easily picked up a taxi to take us back to town and then we did a little shopping and walked across to the tenders.

Very nice day and we would all go back to Grand Cayman again in a heartbeat :)

I've never been to Sea Grape but me and my wife were at Royal Palms this past Wednesday. It was great in my opinion. The beach has soft, white sand. The water had very calm waves and the water was as clear as you'll find anywhere and it was almost perfect in temperature.

We didn't eat while there but the food looked good from the grill. The drinks were good though.:)

I'm sure either place would be a great way to spend a day. I could have spent a day or two there and would have loved every minute of it.

I've never been to Sea Grape but me and my wife were at Royal Palms this past Wednesday. It was great in my opinion. The beach has soft, white sand. The water had very calm waves and the water was as clear as you'll find anywhere and it was almost perfect in temperature.

We didn't eat while there but the food looked good from the grill. The drinks were good though.:)

I'm sure either place would be a great way to spend a day. I could have spent a day or two there and would have loved every minute of it.

Were drinks expensive? DH will probably just drink beer, but I like the fufu ones. Thanks.

Are there buses, too, or just taxis? If it would be less to take a bus, I wouldn't mind going that route, $20 bucks for a taxi one way sounds like a lot... yeah, I may be being cheap, but I'm thinking that would help buy lunch! Half price to take the bus doesn't sound like a bad plan, if they're readily available.

Thanks... :) This sounds like a great time, I can't wait to see the beach.

Are there buses, too, or just taxis? If it would be less to take a bus, I wouldn't mind going that route, $20 bucks for a taxi one way sounds like a lot... yeah, I may be being cheap, but I'm thinking that would help buy lunch! Half price to take the bus doesn't sound like a bad plan, if they're readily available.

Also, if drinks are expensive, can't you take a cooler? I'm thinking of packing a soft cooler that I could fill with drinks from the boat and just bring them with us for the kids...

Also, if drinks are expensive, can't you take a cooler? I'm thinking of packing a soft cooler that I could fill with drinks from the boat and just bring them with us for the kids...

There are buses. (actually they are small vans) They were $2.50 per person and ran every 15 minutes according to the signs. Don't know if that is the current price and schedule.

Thanks so much for the quick response -- that sounds about perfect. Sorry about the triple post... the first time I tried to post it looked like it quit on me, what a mess!

Has anyone brought coolers? Would that be a problem, do you think? I still want to purchase some food from the Reef Grill ('cause it sounds so good :), but I'd like to bring some drinks and snacks for the kids, too.

Also, are beach shoes a good idea for the kids? And can anyone think of anything I should bring to the beach for a day with two kiddos (3 and 8) -- camera, sunblock, sand toys...

Has anyone brought coolers? Would that be a problem, do you think? I still want to purchase some food from the Reef Grill ('cause it sounds so good :), but I'd like to bring some drinks and snacks for the kids, too.

Also, are beach shoes a good idea for the kids? And can anyone think of anything I should bring to the beach for a day with two kiddos (3 and 8) -- camera, sunblock, sand toys...

Hi Spaceflower,

I had a folding softside cooler, that I was able to pack in my suitcase.

Beach shoes are a good idea because there are pebbles & shells that will be difficult to walk over for soft young feet.

ileene

ilene, Sand toys are a must. We spent a week on 7 mile beach with our 3 & 9 year old grandsons and they spent hours building sand castles. Sunblock is a big must. Small inflatable rafts may come in handy, also. I got a couple of the half size ones at the dollar store and we all used them. I probably wouldn't mess with the cooler but if you do I would be very discrete and sit as far from the restaurant as you can.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Really? You think they would have a problem with the small cooler with capri suns, water and a few snacks for the kids? I absolutely plan on ordering from the Reef Grill, it's one of the reasons we're choosing Royal Palms. Besides, my son is all about the conch :) He LOVES weird and different foods, and probably going back to school and telling everyone he ate sea snail! :)

Does anyone know about drinks from Royal/Reef -- (frozen preferably) are they very expensive? I love the all inclusive, because it's just so easy! That's why were doing Nachi Cocum in Coz and Sunset Beach in MoBay... but I've heard great things about Royal (Thanks in good part to all of you!) What kind of money do they take? USD?

Any other tips? It's October and beach inflatables are in low demand and hard to find right now... we might have some innertubes laying around though...

There is no pool - it is a restaurant/bar not a hotel. I don't think they would have a problem with a cooler for those types of things - I just wouldn't sit on the restaurant property and bring a cooler full of stuff that they sell. They have any kind of drink but I can't verify the prices. Food and drink is pretty expensive anywhere in the Caymans. They take US money but remember that all of the prices will be in Cayman.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Archived