Royal Palms or Sea Grape?

lindalo5032

If you're going to the Royal Palms area and bringing a cooler, either rent a couple of lounge chairs to use as your base of operations or move a bit further down the beach and throw down towels. Please don't take up space at their tables unless you're actually ordering something. Personally, I think it's a bit rude to go to a restaurant and bring a cooler of your own food or drinks. You wouldn't do it at home, so why would you do it in Cayman?

Food prices are available on the Royal Palms website - http://www.reefgrill.net/ - again, remember that the prices are in CI$. Assume drink prices are in the same range that you'd find in a slightly upscale hotel bar in a tourist area at home, but in CI$ (if your beer is CI$5 then you'll pay about US$6.25). Yes, they're more expensive than you'd pay someplace like Jamaica or Cozumel...however, the tradeoff is that Cayman is safe and clean and you won't get pestered by beach vendors all day.

oh ok! thanks!

I was also wondering if its recommended to do some kind of acitivity while there.

I was interested in the jetskis but not sure if we would have time

were there from 8-3 but dont want to just sit on the beach all day..

would like to try something different too..

There's a watersports rental place at Royal Palms, so you can wait and decide when you get there if you're not sure. Prices have been posted in various threads, so if you do a search you should easily find them.

If you're in port for 8am, that means you likely won't be off the boat until 9 (maybe later) so assume you're hitting the beach by 9:30 or maybe even 10am by the time you wait for a tender, look around the port area, get a taxi, etc. If the ship leaves at 3pm, that usually means being back on the boat for 2:30 at the latest, so back to the tenders by 2pm at the latest. (And that's later than I'd be back, but I'm always paranoid about missing the boat.) Really, you probably have less than 4 hours of "useful" island time. It's not a lot when you factor in some time for eating, having a drink or two, maybe some shopping downtown before you board the return tender. You're probably safe not booking anything in the way of a specific tour, and just renting a jetski for a half hour to break up the beach time a bit. With that, and leaving some time for shopping or a look around the port area, I doubt you'll get bored on the beach...it's a really nice beach... :D

Can you go for a banana boat ride at either Sea Grape oe Royal Palm Beach Club? Also, can can anyone tell me is there is a restaurant at Sea Grape?

Thank you

I have not seen banana boat rides at either location. There is a restaurant at Sea Grape, but I haven't eaten there.

This thread is NOT helping me make a decision! LOL!!! Everyone has positive things to say about both beaches. Someone in this thread or another one mentioned the pics of Sea Grape not looking very "tropical" because of the trees. I sort of agreed. I guess I picture a beach with tons of palm trees.... Even Myrtle Beach has palm trees! :rolleyes:

This thread is NOT helping me make a decision! LOL!!! Everyone has positive things to say about both beaches. Someone in this thread or another one mentioned the pics of Sea Grape not looking very "tropical" because of the trees. I sort of agreed. I guess I picture a beach with tons of palm trees.... Even Myrtle Beach has palm trees! :rolleyes:[/quot

The island was hit by a hurricane a few years ago and stripped away many palm trees. It will take time but they are replanting.

Even Myrtle Beach has palm trees!

Been to Myrtle Beach South Carolina plenty of times and it does not have the blue caribbean water. I'll take the white sand and gorgeous water over palm trees anyday. You're going to love the 7 mile beach!!!

Which one has less people--Sea Grape or Royal Palms? I know Carnival has an excursion that goes to Sea Grape but Royal Palms is closer to the port, so more people probably take a taxi there. This thread has me still trying to decide too. Which one is best for relaxing on the beach and having a drink or two?? Which one is prettier? I love to take pictures of the scenery.

• 3 months later...

Which one has the best water? What I mean is, when we were in Cozumel last year, we went to Nachi Cochum and the water was amazing! Crystal clear and you could walk out forever til it started to get deep. And you could rent those flat floats to float around in.

Which one has the best water? What I mean is, when we were in Cozumel last year, we went to Nachi Cochum and the water was amazing! Crystal clear and you could walk out forever til it started to get deep. And you could rent those flat floats to float around in.

The water is going to be the same at both locations. They are both part of Seven Mile beach. The water is usually crystal clear on Cayman unless there is a storm. I think Cayman water is better than Cozumel.

I think we went to royal Palms, the pictures look like the place we were at. When we were there it was VERY busy. I was hoping this time to find a beach with more beach, we were on top of other people.

I was in Cayman years ago and I remember going to a beach at a hotel that had lots of sand and lots of crystal clear calm water.

Any advice anyone?:p

I think we went to royal Palms, the pictures look like the place we were at. When we were there it was VERY busy. I was hoping this time to find a beach with more beach, we were on top of other people.

I was in Cayman years ago and I remember going to a beach at a hotel that had lots of sand and lots of crystal clear calm water.

Any advice anyone?:p

If it was a cruise ship tour, you probably went to the Colony Club.

Try Seagrapes. It is just a $5 taxi ride per person and chairs & umbrellas are available to rent. There is literally no shade at the Royal Palms unless you are under one of their patio umbrellas. Chairs can be moved at Seagrapes so you do not have to be all in a row. There were Palm trees too which provided some shade for my fair DH.

Bon Voyage

We are a family of 7 (grandparents, DD, SIL, and 3 grandkids ages 6, 9, 10), trying to decide between Royal Palms or Sea Grape beach. I know both have chairs and umbrellas, which we will need. Carnival now has an excursion to Sea Grape, so I'm wondering if it will be more crowded than Royal Palms. The cab fare to Royal Palms might be a little less, since it is closer. Does anyone have a recommendation, or does it really not make any difference?

On our cruise we went to Royal Palms Beach, mainly because it was closer to the pier than Sea Grape. The cost of the taxi to get there was $4.00/person. There is not much shade on the beach, but the sand is powdery white and the water is a beautiful turquoise color and crystal clear. We could see the fin of our Ship from the Beach here.

Our family ordered two pizza's, a platter of fries and 5 Cokes from the Beach Grill and it cost us $41.00 US.

The beach was pretty empty the day we were there (we were the only ship in port) and so they had plenty of beach umbrella's and chairs sitting vacant. There were jet ski's, floats and kayaks available for rent there too.

I just found this thread.. also am deciding between the two.. someone mention about a playground? I have a 5year old and I know no matter what beach he goes on, he'll have a blast... but what are some opinions on either of these beaches with a 5yo? THanks.

Archived