Just Off The Fantasy! A Review

GulfCoaster

Hello All!

We have JUST returned from the 7/17-21 sailing of the Fantasy out of NOLA. I had some great help with the cruise from fellow Cruise Critic members so I wanted to get this out fast so any info I can provide will help those getting ready to sail her.

First off, a big thanks to those who responed to my orginal post regarding cabin selection. We booked this cruise late as a "last minute" getaway and I wasn't sure between ocean view and porthole cabins. We booked M14 which was a porthole and like y'all all said - matter of choice - for us it worked out fine. And just like y'all said, there was very little foot traffic being down by the bow. I'd book it again in a heartbeat. It was pretty quiet down there so thank you for the tips on that.

More tips that were given. Got to the Port at 10:20. Parked our vehicle, walked into the terminal, through security, over to the desk, checked in, got our sail cards (which is also your room key) had a seat half way down the second row and we were on the ship by 11:30. Can't beat that. From the porters to the check in personnel all were very nice and friendly.

We had very little movement on the ship (IMHO) and the Gulf was pretty flat. Some passengers were complaining of movement on Friday night but here again I felt it was lite at best. The weather was hot but clear throughout the cruise. In fact, we could have not asked for better weather (we did not know about TS DOLLY until this AM when we finally decided to turn on the TV which by the way were regular CRT's with no DVD etc). I think the upcoming drydock will take care of that but I am not sure.

The weather in Cozumel was great. Went to Pancho's Backyard which was great also. However, between the Margaritas we had there and the stop at Carlos and Charlies, well, I was, how shall we say "a bit fuzzy" for Saturday night. No, actually wiped out!

The ship itself is in good shape and yes there is signs of wear and tear. The crew however makes up for that. Great crew on board this ship. Big Tex was the cruise director.

Food was good, but the buffet was very crowded at certain times of the day and the air conditioning seemed to be having some issues. In fact, on the last night of the cruise it was HOT in the dining room. We were in Celebration table #123. This is the first table on the far right against the window when you enter the dining room (right next to the cracked glass).

We had hoped for a 4 top late seating. We got the late seating but the table we sat at was set for 10 and it was cramped. At breakfast, it was set up for 8 which was fine, but here again IMHO 10 at dinner was pushing it. Luck of the draw, I guess. However, our wait staff was just wonderful. Couldn't ask for better.

Karaoke was fun did my Elvis impression. We did not see any shows. All in all a good getaway....

Now for the ugly....

While embarkation was great, disembarking was the pits. Many many passengers are doing self assist. The instructions say that your suitcase should be no larger then a 24". Well, you saw, 30's 31's,26's" etc., being taking off. Folks are using the "marble" stairs and banging suitcases down step by step, so you get my point.

We had a 26" that we "checked" and we were # 20 to disembark. They called self assist at 7:20 AM and by 10:30 AM they were calling #14. A Carnival host told us to just go ahead and get in line and we did and we left the ship and stood in a nice long line on the gangway and inside the terminal building. As we were standing we saw higher numbers then we and lower numbers that had not been called yet going out through customs with Porters. They did not ask for our disembark number when we left the ship. Here again we were # 20 BUT we were told to get in line so we did.

When you exit the gangway you will go down an escalator or stairs and then enter a hallway, you'll move straight for a bit then zig-zag left then right and you will now be looking down a long hallway at a VERY long line to get to where your luggage is. Whew!!

Thanks to the tips I received on this board we got a Porter when we FINALLY got to the area where the luggage was and he helped us through customs pretty fast. He was great! IF we had not done this, we would have been standing in another long line now going down another hallway on the opposite side of where we just came from to get to the area where you clear Customs. Use the Porters and tip them well. They are working hard and they will help you and make make your life a whole lot easier! Worth every dime!

We were then called up to the Customs agent who was very nice, he asked a few questions and we were through. Our lugage followed right behind us. We were told by the Porter that one of us should go and get our vehicle (if you have parked) and the Porter will then take the rest of your party to an area when he will off load your bags and you can then drive over to pick up your bags and the rest of your party. This passenger pick-up area is a cluster mess at best.

Lucky me, cause when I picked up my vehicle I had not noticed that some jerk had (while parking thier small bus or van) smashed in my wheel well area! Swell. When I pulled into the passenger pick up area to get the luggage my wife saw it and the damage. So we are now freaking a bit and the Harbor Police were having "NOTHING" to do with me in the way of help where I could file a police report, talk to anybody etc. due to security. I was just screamed at to MOVE THE VEHICLE! I was not allowed to return into port. AARRRGGHHH!!

Not a good ending to the cruise. I can only hope there were cameras around so maybe sombody got a plate number or something. No note on my vehicle. Anyway, they say the parking structure is monitored and secure....we'll see...If we do this cruise again I'd take a cab in and out of the port. Less hassle and for us less vehicle damage.

So that's it. If anybody has any questions I could answer for them - ask away. It would be my pleasure to help if I can.

Safe travels to all this summer - and - please - NO HURRICANES FOR ANYBODY!!!

Mike

We just returned, as well, from the Fantasy which departed NOLA on 7/17/08. All in all, it was a great trip. This was a first cruise for our 5 year old son, but it was just another one for my husband and I. We have cruised several times. The crew was great, the ship was old and and falling apart a bit (but fairly clean), and the food was horrible. The pizza was O.K., the burgers were out of this world, but beyond that, not much in way of food (I am comparing the quality with other Carnival cruises we've been on - last one was 4 years ago). That was about my only complaint. Room service took way too long (over an hour for a sandwich and a very nasty cesear salad with whole anchovies in the dressing and no parmesean cheese). Camp carnival was excellent! At first, my son was nervous and did not do so well. He is 5, about to turn 6, so I tried to get him moved up in the 6 to 8 group. I was worried that he would be bored in the 2 to 5 group. They said he would do better in the younger group, and they were right! He loved every minute of it. The last night, we almost couldn't get him out of there. He wanted to stay. They painted their faces like bunnies and had them decorate bunny ears to wear on their heads. At the end, they received a nice backpack and pencil bag, along with some other small goodies. He went to the late night "party" for about 1 1/2 hrs. on Saturday night (extra charge, but worth it). He enjoyed it. They played games, including playstation, and did other fun stuff. Debarkation was a nightmare. I stayed patient through the whole scenario, but I don't recall it ever being that painful as it was today. I think it was just because this cruise was just so darned full, which caused lines for everything. I read someplace that this one sold out, so maybe that is why. Lots of family groups and such. I will be anxious to see what they do with the ship after dry dock. I hope someone links to some pics once it is done...

Happy Cruisin'!

We just returned, as well, from the Fantasy which departed NOLA on 7/17/08. All in all, it was a great trip. This was a first cruise for our 5 year old son, but it was just another one for my husband and I. We have cruised several times. The crew was great, the ship was old and and falling apart a bit (but fairly clean), and the food was horrible. The pizza was O.K., the burgers were out of this world, but beyond that, not much in way of food (I am comparing the quality with other Carnival cruises we've been on - last one was 4 years ago). That was about my only complaint. Room service took way too long (over an hour for a sandwich and a very nasty cesear salad with whole anchovies in the dressing and no parmesean cheese). Camp carnival was excellent! At first, my son was nervous and did not do so well. He is 5, about to turn 6, so I tried to get him moved up in the 6 to 8 group. I was worried that he would be bored in the 2 to 5 group. They said he would do better in the younger group, and they were right! He loved every minute of it. The last night, we almost couldn't get him out of there. He wanted to stay. They painted their faces like bunnies and had them decorate bunny ears to wear on their heads. At the end, they received a nice backpack and pencil bag, along with some other small goodies. He went to the late night "party" for about 1 1/2 hrs. on Saturday night (extra charge, but worth it). He enjoyed it. They played games, including playstation, and did other fun stuff. Debarkation was a nightmare. I stayed patient through the whole scenario, but I don't recall it ever being that painful as it was today. I think it was just because this cruise was just so darned full, which caused lines for everything. I read someplace that this one sold out, so maybe that is why. Lots of family groups and such. I will be anxious to see what they do with the ship after dry dock. I hope someone links to some pics once it is done...

Happy Cruisin'!

Sorry you weren't pleased. Most Carnival ships sail FULL or at capacity. I've done Fantasy 3 times in the last year & a half, food has always been good, with most recent cruise in May, better food than before. Hopefully it was just an off week & will be back on track soon.

Thanks for both reviews.

To the OP: so sorry about your vehicle.

We have not sailed the Fantasy since August last year and she was looking very worn back then. I can imagine that she is in great need of a drydock by now.

Sadly she takes a lot of abuse from the crowd in that port for some reason.

On our cruise several plastic light covers in the elevators (that tell you what is on each floor) were smashed on purpose. Like Ron White says.."you can't fix stupid!"

She comes back from drydock in October and we will probably hop on for a 4 day to see how she looks new!!

Thanks for both of the reviews. Glad you are home safely. We leave on the Fantasy 8/9. Are there still 4 dining times or has it changed to 2? Also, what did you all do in Progresso?

This was the 4 day, so we did not go to Progresso. There was a Main seating and a late seating for dinner. Have fun!

Sorry you weren't pleased. Most Carnival ships sail FULL or at capacity. I've done Fantasy 3 times in the last year & a half, food has always been good, with most recent cruise in May, better food than before. Hopefully it was just an off week & will be back on track soon.

We were pleased overall, it was just the food that was a disapointment. We tried to get people to go with us, but without success. I am glad, now, since it wasn't what we remembered it to be. Maybe when we go after the ship had been through dry dock it will be better. I just thought that maybe the food was off since fuel has been up, maybe they were trying to cut costs or something. No harm, we still had a blast. I probably was just an off week. Has anyone been on any Carnival cruises out of Florida and out of NOLA to compare? We are considering flying out to Fla. for the next one, to see if the quality is any different. Any advice??

I see the porters are still up to their old tricks. They try to convince you to let them drop your luggage off at the pickup area while you go get your car. The reason is that they can get rid of you quicker so they can go collect the next fare. What it actually does is create more of a backup at the pickup area for people who actually are being picked up. Had they taken you to your vehicle like they are suppose to, you would have still have been in the terminal to file a report.

I have had them refuse to take my lugguge to my vehicle and dumped it off in the elevator and then demand a tip.

Dave

We will be going on the Fantasy on 10/9..i do believe this will be the first sailing after the drydock (maybe second...I'll have to look). I was on her in March and she really didn't look TOO bad then. I am really excited to see how the Evolutions of Fun refurb turns out.

My question for the OP: You mentioned that the Sign & Sail card is the room card. Back in March the Fantasy was still using the old plastic card key with holes in it. So, the door locks have already been upgraded? Not that it really matters as that they should be done when we sail on her after the refurb anyways. But, I REALLY perfer to have just one card to keep up with!!

We were pleased overall, it was just the food that was a disapointment. We tried to get people to go with us, but without success. I am glad, now, since it wasn't what we remembered it to be. Maybe when we go after the ship had been through dry dock it will be better. I just thought that maybe the food was off since fuel has been up, maybe they were trying to cut costs or something. No harm, we still had a blast. I probably was just an off week. Has anyone been on any Carnival cruises out of Florida and out of NOLA to compare? We are considering flying out to Fla. for the next one, to see if the quality is any different. Any advice??

I agree, the food was not up to Carnival's normal greatness! I was on the Holiday in March, and the food was wonderful, on Fantasy over the 4th of July and it was bad. I ordered some of the same things, they may be using the same menu, but sure aren't using the same recipe :mad: They really messed up my Sweet and Sour Shrimp.... :(

Debarkation was a mess for us, too.

All in all, tho... I was on a cruise, the weather was great, waiters to bring me drinks, room steward to make my bed, bring fresh towels, and of course, towel animals. Not all bad :D

I agree, the food was not up to Carnival's normal greatness! I was on the Holiday in March, and the food was wonderful, on Fantasy over the 4th of July and it was bad. I ordered some of the same things, they may be using the same menu, but sure aren't using the same recipe :mad: They really messed up my Sweet and Sour Shrimp.... :(

Debarkation was a mess for us, too.

All in all, tho... I was on a cruise, the weather was great, waiters to bring me drinks, room steward to make my bed, bring fresh towels, and of course, towel animals. Not all bad :D

Agreed! Even though food was bad, it WAS food that I didn't have to cook. It was tough to get home today and have to cook dinner. It is nice the way the wait on you hand and foot!! I will miss my bedtime chocolate :)

I was on the Fantasy on July 12-17. The food was edible but not as good as it was on the Liberty.

IMHO there is NO comparison to sailing out of New Orleans vs FL. Don't get me wrong, I like the convenience of driving to the port and I love the familiarity with sailing out of New Orleans, but going out of FL is awesome. I'm partial to the Eastern Caribbean so that may be a factor for me. Just be warned, once you do it, it's hard to do anything else....well, except for a southern Caribbean :D

We will be going on the Fantasy on 10/9..i do believe this will be the first sailing after the drydock (maybe second...I'll have to look). I was on her in March and she really didn't look TOO bad then. I am really excited to see how the Evolutions of Fun refurb turns out.

My question for the OP: You mentioned that the Sign & Sail card is the room card. Back in March the Fantasy was still using the old plastic card key with holes in it. So, the door locks have already been upgraded? Not that it really matters as that they should be done when we sail on her after the refurb anyways. But, I REALLY perfer to have just one card to keep up with!!

We only had one card, and it did not have holes in it. It was our sign & sail AND our room key. Gladly, it did not have the room # on the card, in case you lost it someone couldn't take the card and get into your room!

I was on the Fantasy on July 12-17. The food was edible but not as good as it was on the Liberty.

IMHO there is NO comparison to sailing out of New Orleans vs FL. Don't get me wrong, I like the convenience of driving to the port and I love the familiarity with sailing out of New Orleans, but going out of FL is awesome. I'm partial to the Eastern Caribbean so that may be a factor for me. Just be warned, once you do it, it's hard to do anything else....well, except for a southern Caribbean :D

I have only sailed out of NOLA, so I haven't visited Eastern Caribbean yet. Which cruise did you enjoy the most out of Fla.?

I see the porters are still up to their old tricks. They try to convince you to let them drop your luggage off at the pickup area while you go get your car. The reason is that they can get rid of you quicker so they can go collect the next fare. What it actually does is create more of a backup at the pickup area for people who actually are being picked up. Had they taken you to your vehicle like they are suppose to, you would have still have been in the terminal to file a report.

I have had them refuse to take my lugguge to my vehicle and dumped it off in the elevator and then demand a tip.

Dave

Yep...in August we got the ole "we can only go to the elevator" speech.

Since we did not have much (used them to get through the line ...not because we had a lot of luggage)... we said ok. But he did tell us this BEFORE he touched our luggage.

Being a local, it is much more convenient to cruise out of NOLA, but I will admit that I enjoyed the Eastern Itinerary much more and hope to do the Southern Caribbean one day soon. I have done the Western Caribbean 3 times so that also plays into liking the other ports more.

So, who is the Karaoke host/hostess?

have the upgraded the equipment yet or still using CDG's

Was it held in the big lounge in the back or a smaller one?

Did they enforce the rule of no one under 18 after 10?

I love karaoke and have more fun singing at sea than anywhere.

Also...who was the CD? Was he or she any good and lots of fun?

thanks..

We were on the Fantasy for the 12 July sailing. This was our second trip on the Fantasy. Weather was great, food was not to the standard as other Carnival ships. Enjoyed the cruise and will go again. Lots of kids this time of the year. Getting off was the bad part. People setting and standing on the stairs, acting like they have never been on a cruise. Sometimes you just will not be the first off the ship. Our number luggage # was 12. I knew we would not be called until about 900 or 1000. Can't hurry to get off, if you do you'll just stand in a long line off the ship. We have done this drill 9 other times. Plan for a slow bag drag off any ship.

Leedm

i agree....the disembark was horrible....I swear half the ship did self assist and had huge luggage! Then people crowding the areas where you werent suppose to...

but as for the food...I though it was good when we went in April...hmm didnt notice a difference.

Sorry I didn't stay on the boards after I posted. Went into work, wrote the review and went home still ticked about the vehicle damage! 1500 bucks worth of repairs - glad I have insurance! Heck that's another short cruise!

An interesting thing however, the body shop I went to thinks it was a forklift that caused the damage. They pulled one of their forklifts right up along side and the height and color matched perfectly. The Port personal directed me to park on Level 3. My vehicle is a truck and level 3 is for oversized vehicles....let you know how this pans out....

Anyway,

Jetskier: - The Porter used the wording exactly as you said! I feel like a real $%# cause he was giving me a line. I "clubbed" him real high too for his "kindness" to my wife and I. We have always sailed out of MIA or FLL which is usually easy (unless you leave from one berth and return to another in FLL and your car is parked at the orginal berth - that is a "fun" game as well). But this was our first "homeport". Now I know the NOLA Porter scam for the next time!! I'll be ready. Maybe they are taking there lead from Porter 150 in Miami!?!

And yes, the passenger pick up area was a mess! Big Time! Now I see why. Gawd, I hate being taken....

Bamacruiser20: Your cruise card is your door key as well. The old keys are no longer used on this ship (or at least I didn't see them being used).

Jabee: For Karaoke - they are using the Lounge in the back of the ship. It was packed on Friday night - we gave up even trying to do any songs that night. In fact it was packed every night. Also it was VERY hot temperature wise as well! The KJ was a gentleman by the name of Kim. He was very nice. Their system is CD-G (I brought my own discs) he was fine with that and is willing to play your discs for your turn.

Make sure you put on the song slip next to your name something to the effect of "own disc" then write out the disc number name of song and track. That way when the rotation gets really backed up you won't lose your disc in the shuffle. Discs are laid out in a row for rotation, but be ready to go quicker then you thought as the KJ buids the show. In fact, be on the safe side and pick up your disc right after you sing.

They are using all sorts of labels from Music Maestro, to Sweeet Georgia Brown, Karaoke Monthly, etc. I really like Sound Choice (OK, I'm a snob) plus it makes it easy if you are familiar with the arrangement or you want to do a specific song which they may not have. I stuck with Elvis, and songs from Rocky Horror and Jekyll and Hyde.

Yes there are kids in the room when it should be adults and there was some strong language that was being used on mic (before, during and after perfoming. Let's call them "ad libs") by some singers that could offend. Carnival REALLY should stick to their rule on this one. It's for adults after a specific time, so keep it adult.

Anyway, I really think IMHO that once this ship goes into drydock there is going to be a big difference. The ship IS looking tired and some of the crew we talked to are looking forward to the break. They deserve it especially with some of the nonsense they have to put up with from the passengers every day. A smile to a crew memeber who has helped you or done something for you REALLY goes along way on this ship.

Anymore questions, fire away..

Mike

Archived