Moongates

monamia

bermudamoongate.jpgoldmoongate.jpg

Bermuda Moongate (left) and original Chinese one, from which the Bermuda one was copied (right)

moonstonenewengland.jpgThis is not Bermudian originally but Chinese or Japanese or both, many centuries old. (In July 2004, a Japanese garden with a structure almost identical to what in Bermuda is called a moongate, won a Silver Gilt prize at the Royal Horticultural Society show at Tatton Garden in the UK). The first plan for one in Bermuda was brought from a Chinese garden in 1860 by a local sea captain. He drew the design of a circular, ornamental wooden gateway to a garden or place of inner repose and, once back in Bermuda, built one of his own. It was copied. It has since been adopted by Bermuda as a national symbol. There are many now in Bermuda. The Bermuda version is built of Bermuda stone and often but not always used as an entrance to a garden. There is also a New England version, in granite, of the Chinese design, as the attached photograph shows.

Legend has it that people who walk through a Moongate, especially young lovers and honeymooners, are blessed with good luck. The real Oriental origin of the Moongate was almost completely lost locally when the former gardener of the Duke of Westminster in the United Kingdom was employed to lay out the grounds of the (former) Bermudiana Hotel in the 1920s being built at that time by the Furness Withy shipping group. This was the first of the Bermuda Moongates in hotel properties

I believe the one with the picture of the couple & the history was taken at Tobacco Bay but I don't remember a gate being there! I'm sure it's Tobacco Bay but the gate escapes me.

The second in the group of four with the climbing plants and the lovely gate is the south west entry gate of Par-la-Ville Park in Hamilton. Just up from Front Street and across from the small road between Par-la-Ville & Bermudiana Roads.

I believe the one with the picture of the couple & the history was taken at Tobacco Bay but I don't remember a gate being there! I'm sure it's Tobacco Bay but the gate escapes me.

The second in the group of four with the climbing plants and the lovely gate is the south west entry gate of Par-la-Ville Park in Hamilton. Just up from Front Street and across from the small road between Par-la-Ville & Bermudiana Roads.

I think the picture at Tobacco Bay has been "altered". I didn't take a good look until you mentioned it to realize it's Tobacco Bay. :o That's the deck of the snack bar and I've never seen a moongate there.

Yep, that's Par-la-Ville Park because here's my picture from the inside looking out.:D

IMG_1367.jpg

• 1 year later...
I think the picture at Tobacco Bay has been "altered". I didn't take a good look until you mentioned it to realize it's Tobacco Bay. :o That's the deck of the snack bar and I've never seen a moongate there.

Not sure about the altering...but this IS a photo, taken by me, of the Moongate at Tobacco Bay...yes, right where the snack bar is located. Photo taken in June of 2000...it was brand new at the time.

If memory serves, it may have come down during Hurricane Fabian!!

tobacco.moongate.jpg.6a804e04b59787599d3fa814e7fc8e7e.jpg

That's great! What bridge? ..(we have never been there) Do you happen to have a picture of it..

Pics are on another laptop. Can't miss the bridge, just follow the flow of the people leaving the ship and before you finish crossing the bridge it will be on your right. The 'gate is about 15 ft tall - can't miss it.

Archived