What Digital Camera Do You Use?

Sandytoes

I've read that dSLR's have the best image quality, however I don't want to lug a big camera around.

It would probably end up in a drawer or case and never used.

More interested in a Compact.

One that can be carried in a purse.

So if any one can recommend a Good Compact Camera, I appreciate that.

Here is a recent review ultracompacts: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408slimgroup/

You can always skip the details and see what their conclusion is at the end: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408slimgroup/page15.asp

Canon has always had a great lineup in the compact category!

I bought a Canon Power Shot SX110 IS this winter. Mainly for the stabilizer and upgrade in zoom and mp. It replaces a Kodak Z730. I like to point and shoot the picture with as little fuss as possible. I am interested in learning about the manual options on this new Canon camera as well as any general tips.

If any of you have this Canon camera I would appreciate any helpful hints.

Thanks!

Ok, I've read most of this thread.............more of the newer posts than the older, and a lot of the links to outside reccomendations, etc. I think I can handle the shopping now but I have a question about the digital camera operation that I don't think is covered in all the technical talk.

I know several smart people who researched their new cameras before purchasing and then were disappointed because the picture doesn't *take* as soon as they push the button resulting in getting an image that is often much different that what they had pointed at especially when aiming at kids and animals.

Any suggestions here?

Barbara

.....were disappointed because the picture doesn't *take* as soon as they push the button resulting in getting an image that is often much different that what they had pointed at especially when aiming at kids and animals.

Any suggestions here?

Barbara

Auto focus digital cameras have some “shutter lag.” The camera’s processor needs time to let the autofocus, exposure, and you name it processes decide how to take the picture. The camera also needs time to engage the shutter. The lag is most noticeable on less expensive point and shoots with small processors. Here is a list showing the lag times of different small cameras. http://www.cameras.co.uk/html/shutter-lag-comparisons.cfm

DSLRs are generally faster (>$ + bigger body = < shutter lag) with a shutter lag of only 60 to 100 milliseconds. Basically not noticeable by most people.

Most digital cameras also slow down if one takes several quick shots in a row, or tries to take. The camera must move the photo information into an internal buffer and then on to the memory card.

If you will be photographing moving kids and such, then go for a camera with a faster response time.

Larry

The way that I battle shutter lag is to keep the camera to my eye or looking at the LCD and press the shutter 1/2 way, this will make your camera focus and the picture will take instantly when you press the rest of the way down. If the object is moving you can keep pressing 1/2 way over and over until you have the shot that you want and then snap it really quick. If your camera has the ability you can always set it to multi shot and it will continue shooting as long as the shutter is depressed and until the buffer fills up, you can choose the picture that you like later.

OK, I just got finished reading this entire thread. I am very curious as to why any Kodak camera's are ever recommended. Are they not a good camera at all? I have been using Kodak for years, I am in no way a pro and would not move up to the ones with different lens. However, I would consider switching brands if the difference is that great.

I am currently using a Kodak Z712 IS and I think it does pretty good shots, especially outside. The inside shots I still have trouble with, especially in dark gyms and trying to take shots of sporting events.

I read the thread on shutter speed and notice that there are not even any Kodak's listed.

If I were to upgrade (don't tell hubby) what you you recommend? Again, I would not take the time to switch lens. And I love my Kodak easy share program, can I use that with any camera?

OK, I just got finished reading this entire thread. I am very curious as to why any Kodak camera's are ever recommended. Are they not a good camera at all? I have been using Kodak for years, I am in no way a pro and would not move up to the ones with different lens. However, I would consider switching brands if the difference is that great.

I am currently using a Kodak Z712 IS and I think it does pretty good shots, especially outside. The inside shots I still have trouble with, especially in dark gyms and trying to take shots of sporting events.

I read the thread on shutter speed and notice that there are not even any Kodak's listed.

If I were to upgrade (don't tell hubby) what you you recommend? Again, I would not take the time to switch lens. And I love my Kodak easy share program, can I use that with any camera?

There are so many good cameras out there that making a choice it truly difficult. The upside of that difficulty is that it's very hard to find a bad camera from a major manufacturer.

Kodak's latest Z1015 IS superzoom gets pretty good reviews and will not disappoint. The only negative I've seen is that the shutter lag (the time between pressing the button and the image being captured) can be slow indoors and the flash can be a bit weak.

I guess my bottom-line advice it to take a look at the Z1015 and see if you like it. It will share a lot of operational similarities with your old camera and won't require much of a learning curve.

If not, there are superzooms out there with better lenses, faster shooting and more megapixels, but you wouldn't see a dramatic increase in image quality unless you went up to a DSLR. You certainly would have a hard time getting a lot better camera for the Z1015's price. The next step up would be one of the top rated superzooms such as the Sony H50, Canon PowerShot SX 10 IS or Panasonic FZ28. These are considered the current best in class for image quality and are all fine cameras. Your software should work with any camera, so it would boil down to what you like. Compile a short list of models you want to check out and go to a store (or, more likely, a couple of stores) where you can try them all out. Pick the one that feels best, is easiest for you to use and go with it.

Good luck...the choices make camera shopping tough.

Dave

There sure isn't anything wrong with a Kodak digicam, we have a small 3 mp pocket sized Kodak that does a phenomenal job, it handles bad lighting situations very well and provides brilliant colors right out of the camera.

I usually recommend Kodaks for those who want something easy to use and affordable.

Not to quibble, but while the E-20 is by definition a DSLR that uses an optical viewfinder and reflex mirror, it is actually a 5 MP all-in one with a non-interchangeable 35mm-140mm zoom (just wanted to point that out for readers new to photography). Introduced in late 2001, it was and still is a great camera. Its image quality is excellent (remarkable, actually) for it's class and era, but I might have to question placing it "Heads above other DSLR cameras in picture quality"! There have been a few advances over the years. ;)

Enjoy your new camera!

Happy shooting!

Dave

Dave your right, I should have said heads above other similar cameras of it's time period. I do like the non-interchangeble lens for one particular reason, the sensor can not be contaminated with a sealed lens. Thanks for you comments.

Mark.

The best camera is the one you carry with you.:D.

I agree.

Here is a recent review ultracompacts: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408slimgroup/

You can always skip the details and see what their conclusion is at the end: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q408slimgroup/page15.asp

Canon has always had a great lineup in the compact category!

By the number of posts,

it seems Canon wins hands down.

Thanks for the link.

After reading the review I think I will check out the Canon SD790.

Peirces and all,

thanks for all your help. i checked out the Kodak Z1015 and really like the looks ofr this camera.

My question is, am i going to notice any difference than what I have now?? My main problem with my camera is the fact of dark shots or blurry shots taking pictures of wrestling matches inside a gym. It is amazing the difference the lighting is in different schools. So, if I am comparing the specs on cameras, what do I look at to find something that will take better photos??

And yes, I know at some time I should go DSLR but not ready for that quite yet. But answer me this, what would be the most basic DSLR?

Hi, I still use my Kodak DX7590 and I love the camera. I too have looked at the Kodak Z1015 several times but I have decided against it. I think you would still get dark shots when shooting wrestling meets if you use the flash. I might be wrong but I don't think the flash will carry far enough to do any good. I have taken flash shots with my Kodak in an area like a school gym and have not had good results. I think you need a camera where you can manually set the f stop and shutter speed. Good luck...Marian

Peirces and all,

thanks for all your help. i checked out the Kodak Z1015 and really like the looks ofr this camera.

My question is, am i going to notice any difference than what I have now?? My main problem with my camera is the fact of dark shots or blurry shots taking pictures of wrestling matches inside a gym. It is amazing the difference the lighting is in different schools. So, if I am comparing the specs on cameras, what do I look at to find something that will take better photos??

And yes, I know at some time I should go DSLR but not ready for that quite yet. But answer me this, what would be the most basic DSLR?

With that being your target subject, I would recommend the Canon SX10IS or S5IS. In addition to the pop-up flash, they have an accessory hotshoe that accepts Canon flash units for much greater range. Not the cheap option, but it will get the job done.

Dave

I have the Konica Minolta, the last one before they were bought out by Sony...sigh. But, from what i have learned the larger sensors on the DSLR's allow more information to be captured for your pictures. The more the megapixels the camera can use, the better the quality. They have gone up since I got mine, which is a 6.1. The new models also have a built in anti-shake advantage so if you hands are not totally steady, it will help reduce any blurring. Even if you never ever change the lenses, and keep it on the Auto setting all the time, you are still going to get better pictures. Many of the camera shops will include some lessons to help you learn about the different settings if you want to. It will be an investment, and trust me, you will love it, if you make the decision to move up. BTW, I have an older Kodak point and shoot that took great pictures, but nothing I could make enlarments from because of the lower megapixels. My Alaska pictures will be on my walls!!

Yes, I realize my finepix f10 is not a DSLR (that's my point n shoot).

The other is DSLR-like. Whether it's a true DSLR or not, I like it (http://www.fujifilm.ca/x15938.xml).

Thanks for your input. :)

I would further disagree. As long as it does not have a large sensor, a mirror, and interchangeable lens, it has no relationship to a dSLR. Just becaue it loooks like a dSLR does not give it the capabilities of a dSLR.

BTW, I have a Canon G9 as my carry camera, a Nikon D70 dSLR with multiple lens, and a Canon S2 IS that my wife uses.

DON

The more the megapixels the camera can use, the better the quality. !!

Not true. With P&S cameras, often more megapixels just get you a higher noise level in your pictures. More megapixels = higher sales, not necessarily better pictures.

DON

Not true. With P&S cameras, often more megapixels just get you a higher noise level in your pictures. More megapixels = higher sales, not necessarily better pictures.

DON

I agree to not using megapixels as a measure of quality. You often see cheap no name cameras with 8,10, and 12 megapixels, it is obvious that people are buying megapixels over any other feature and even the good name brand manufacturers have to participate in the race because of that. Case in point is there are now 10mp cell phones out there, will these produce better quality than a 6mp DSLR, or even a great point and shoot Canon S3 IS? The short answer is no.

There are so many other things to consider when buying a camera, like ease of use, lens quality (may be the most important component), low light capability etc..

My two best cameras are 6mp, and I don't find myself wishing for more. Actually I am still pleased with the quality of my 3mp camera, but these are good quality cameras to begin with so they probably produce images much better than a cheap high megapixel camera.

DON

Don, I totally concur! Keep in mind the size and quality of the sensor, the lens and other capabilities and a 5 megapixel will outshine a 10 megapix with lesser of the aforementioned.

Mark.

I just bought a Canon PowerShot A 590 IS. On the spur of a moment needed a camera in one hour. Took a while to figure it out. After reading this thread I feel good about my choice. I wish they had classes or tutorials. I would love to learn about it and not always use the auto setting.

Thanks for all the info.

Tammy

I own several Canons but we still have our 1st digicam - HP733 the wife bought at Wal Mart several years ago for (I think) $110. Its 3.2mp and mostly automatic. We took over 500 pics with it on our 2004 cruise. It still takes good looking pics.

Progreso, Merida, Cozumel ~ 2004

Altun Ha Mayan Ruins ~ 2004

Archived