Lap Band Surgery and a Carnival Cruise?

ssatterly

Ok I am thinking about getting the Lap band Surgery. Whan I am not sure BUT I do have a cruise booked for next year in Sept. If I get it before then I am wondering how it will affect my cruise. I love the food on a cruise and I will be afraid of wasiting my time and money on it i I can not eat like beore.. What do you think?

I think that if you're concerned about it that you seriously reconsider getting the surgery until you are ready to make a full and complete lifestyle change.

Before anyone slams me, I've walked in her shoes. I had an RNY 6 years ago and I can no longer eat anywhere near the amount of food I used to be able to eat. Cruiselines don't lose any money on me when it comes to eating. Nor do I feel like I'm not getting my full money's worth on a cruise. I knew the choice I was making and I don't regret it.

Ok I am thinking about getting the Lap band Surgery. Whan I am not sure BUT I do have a cruise booked for next year in Sept. If I get it before then I am wondering how it will affect my cruise. I love the food on a cruise and I will be afraid of wasiting my time and money on it i I can not eat like beore.. What do you think?

I love the food, but think it's only a relatively small part of the cruise experience. That said, only you can know what's important to you; just ask yourself: if I'd only eaten a moderate amount on my previous cruises, would they have been a waste of my time and money?

The only food for sure you should never have after lap band surgery is carbonated beverages. If you cant do without these then you need to reconsider the surgery.

All lapband surgery does is place a band and YOU control fills, to determine how much restriction YOU want with your eating. If you are really tight from what I know, many cant eat soft breads, but many can, they are a food that can get stuck.

If eating less would affect your cruise, only you know the answer to that, I wouldnt let it affect my cruise. You should still enjoy the food, maybe just not eat as MUCH of the food lol.

Congrats to you on making the first step.. With that said, I am sure you meant this post a bit differently than how it sounds. I don't think anyone would want to go through the expense and risk of this surgery only to continue with an unhealthy approach to food.

Speak to your doctor. You should be able to eat almost anything in very limited serving sizes depending on when the surgery is done. But that's ok.. you get to try everything! I dont think you will have to deny yourself any goodies but approach it with common sense and doctors instructions.

Also while the food is one of the great parts about cruising there is so much more! Congrats again! Good Health to you and enjoy that cruise!

Revised after reading Fireflys great advise to add.. She is right.. I think we are both confused! Thanks Fire!

I love the food on a cruise and I will be afraid of wasiting my time and money on it i I can not eat like beore.. What do you think?

If the major reason you cruise is to eat, then it will be a waste of money. If you take a cruise to travel and see new places, it won't be a waste.

:) If you have the lap band surgery you will have to totally rethink the way you eat and think about food. The lap band is not a "cure" for overeating. You will have to follow guidelines and eat small portions. Exercise is a must. If you don't want to have the surgery because you wont be able to eat the way you used to on a cruise, then you are not ready to have this procedure. This procedure (lap band) is just as much psychological as it is eating discipline.

My sister had gastric bypass 5 months before we went on our February cruise and she didn't miss a beat. She found that the food portions were actually very managable. We came up with the buddy system -- we'd find a dessert we both liked and then split it.

The only thing we had a bit of an issue with was storing her protein supplements, but once we had our steward clear out the mini-bar, we were good to go.

My husband had the lapband this past December. He has lost 70 pounds. He does eat a lot less, but now he is concious of what he is eating. He eats slowly and enjoys his food. When we cruise in November he will not be able to eat like before. He will probably stay away from the bread basket, but still eat the main course. He was never much of a dessert eater so I'll probably be the one eating his desserts. Mind you I lost 100 pounds on Weight Watchers and I too need to watch it, but on a cruise I tend to go overboard (no pun intended).

Good luck.

I am having the lap band surgery done in January. i would have done it sooner but had to wait due to insurance requirements. if the only reason you are cruising is to eat, dont do the surgery. you are not ready at all. if i could have it done to day i would. i dont cruise to eat. i cruise to go to new places and to relax

My husband had the lapband this past December. He has lost 70 pounds. He does eat a lot less, but now he is concious of what he is eating. He eats slowly and enjoys his food. When we cruise in November he will not be able to eat like before. He will probably stay away from the bread basket, but still eat the main course. He was never much of a dessert eater so I'll probably be the one eating his desserts. Mind you I lost 100 pounds on Weight Watchers and I too need to watch it, but on a cruise I tend to go overboard (no pun intended).

Good luck.

Has he felt like it has been worth it to get the lap band done?

Has he felt like it has been worth it to get the lap band done?

Having had the surgery 2 1/2 years ago and lost 120 Lbs, I can tell you it is definitely worth it.

As far as cruising goes. The first cruise I went on after my surgery I had it opened a little because I was very scared of getting blocked (stuck) while on the cruise. I had already lost my goal weight (120 Lbs) and was maintaining. I was very careful and watched what I ate because I didn't want to regain. There wasn't a problem because I stayed very active during my cruise and burned off anything I ate.

You will not be able to eat even a quarter of what you had eaten before and as another poster stated, bread, some meats and some veggies can get stuck and it really is not pretty when this happens.

My suggestion to you is to have your surgery. Focus on losing your weight and when you are at goal then book your cruise as a reward. You will have much more energy and be able to walk everywhere and enjoy your cruise so much more.

I am in just the early stages of ooking into this. I have not even spoken to my doctor yet, but this is the 1st step.. Reseach!

Thanks for eveyones support.

I highly recommend you go on your cruise first and enjoy your food because once the lap band is in, you will need to eat very small amounts of foods, also there are meds and vitamins you will need to take also.

I have a Sister on it and a few friends, you will need to change the way you are currently used to eating.

Go on your cruise first, enjoy and then after check into getting the surgery done.

Not sure if you have checked in to the B-6 and B-12 injections, its something else to think about. I'm currently on the injections and doing great.

Fred

I had the band installed in 2004 and yes, you have to chew and take smaller portions, but really nothing is out of the question. I had some trouble with eggs and chicken, but not much else and over time it all loosens up. I lost 60lbs.right away and haven't done much since. In fact, I gained some back so not too successful for me. Of course I am my own worst enemy. Get the surgery, go on the cruise and just have little bits of everything! Take your time and even though you can't eat a lot at one sitting, you can go back in an hour or two and eat again, (trust me, not great but true!) I don't regret the surgery, but it is definitely not as restricting as the bypass. By the way, I had no problem with soda either.

I am in just the early stages of ooking into this. I have not even spoken to my doctor yet, but this is the 1st step.. Reseach!

:) Talk to your doctor and see if he can refer you to a doctor who specializes in this procedure. Once you meet with that doctor they will more than likely set you up with their support group. There you can talk to others who have had the procedure & ask questions & listen to the other patients concerns. I have not had this procedure done but I did go through the entire journey with my closest cousin. She had her procedure done last Halloween & has had a major transformation. Best of luck to you.

There is a thread on this site about cruising after weigt loss surgery. I still enjoy cruising after having bypass surgery. The best was with my whole family as the rest helped me finish my meal and the waiter was not afraid I did not like the food. When I just cruise with a friend or my Dad, I tell the waiter so they are not worried. Best of luck with your decision but it is a "tool" not a "cure".

My husband feels a lot better but he still has a ways to go. Personally I think he did this more for me than him. He has always been a very large guy, with no health problems and happy with himself. After my big loss I think he felt he should do something. I find he eats less, but he definetly has to chew his food. He had some lamb yesterday and it got stuck. I saw his face grimace then he drank some water and fixed it.

:) Hi Fred,

What do the injections do for you?

This is the place I go too, so check out the info on this page: http://www.4weightclinics.com/

Also check out the Fox News video on the bottom of the page.

These are the injections I get:

Adenosine Monophosphate (AMP)

B-Complex

B6 & B12

Lipotropic

Phentermine tables

B12 shots are administered directly into the muscle, allowing for better absorption. Vitamin B12 causes the metabolism to speed up, which in turn increases weight loss.

Vitamin B12 shots give a tremendous boost of energy. This generally helps people to maintain their diets, and motivates them to exercise and increase physical activity.

Vitamin B12 also helps to fight stress and depression, symptoms which are sometimes associated with weight gain.

Fred

Had the FULL baratic surgrey.. I was on my 4th month and we cruised..

It was a NO BRAINER... You can only eat what you can eat.

Usually I took a nibble of everyone's plates.. SO I got to eat a small bite of everything.. WORKES OUT WELL..

I am now 11 months and lost 118 pounds.. FEEL the world better.

ALso have 2 friends who have had the full surgrey done..

NONE ofus regret it.. When we all go out.. and we cruis together also.

WE share alot...

ITS fun and we all have a comon goal...

The cruise is what you make of it hun.. FOOD is a big part but its still what you choose.. STay away from BREADS and you will do great...

GOOOD LUCK

Archived