Can we get a Freedom Class ship in Bayonne, PLEASE!

Just off the Explorer on 8/23. Our waiter told us that the Liberty is coming to Bayonne. Of course, someone else on the same cruise was told by his waiter that the Freedom was coming there, so who knows what is accurate.

I was told by Capt. Johnny of the Mariner that freedom's new home will be Port canaveral when Mariner leaves for CA. This info was given to me on 8/17/2008

Then our BSM doesn't know that, as he was the one that said it wouldn't come to NY or NJ because it is too high. One can only hope!

I got my information from Richard Fain himself. :) It probably won't come to the NYC area but it won't be because of the smoke stack, it would be because of the weather.

Much better chance of us getting a Radiance class.
I'd like a 7 day from the NY area to Bermuda, too!!! 5 days is too short.

I would love to see a Radiance class ship sail out of Bayonne.

Or better yet, I would love to see them bring back a smaller ship like Empress of the Seas or the old Celebrity Zenith which could do 7 day Bermuda cruises with calls at Hamilton & St George. HAL is bringing one of their smaller ships back to NY in late August 2009 and then a full season in 2010 for Bermuda cruises. My TA promised to call me as soon as bookings open up for those itineraries.

They just have to have a weight limit on the Freedom, everyone has to be over 200 pounds so it rides low in the water, and sails under the bridge.

With the changes to itineraries, due to fuel costs I worry about the long runs from NJ to the caribbean. A lot of fuel is used to get there. But perhaps the larger the ship the more the cost gets spread out over the number of people. Plus the newer ships get better yards per gallon. LOL

They just have to have a weight limit on the Freedom, everyone has to be over 200 pounds so it rides low in the water, and sails under the bridge.

With the changes to itineraries, due to fuel costs I worry about the long runs from NJ to the caribbean. A lot of fuel is used to get there. But perhaps the larger the ship the more the cost gets spread out over the number of people. Plus the newer ships get better yards per gallon. LOL

Running the ship faster past the bridge would help as well, as the faster the ship goes, it tends to "cut into" the water, making it a bit lower. But, the Freedom class ships can pass udner the Verrazano.

I'd love to have longer sailings to the Caribbean as well. I'd assume that with a larger ship, the time to get to more southern ports would provide RCI with additional on-board spending?

Don't mean to burst your bubble but three day cruises are out the the question; you can't get get back and forth out of the country in 3 nights. The best you can do in 4 nights is St. John's or Halifax.

That's true. We did a 4 night cruise on Enchantment back in July of 2005 out of Cape Liberty to Halifax. In fact that was the first cruise for Enchantment after "the stretch." Cape Liberty is in the process of adding another berth so whether this will be used by a second RCCL ship or possibly by another cruise line is anyone's guess. I have heard rumors of another cruise line sailing out of Cape Liberty in the future.

NJ, Baltimore and even here in Va. (Norfolk) wold be great to have a ship of those sizes closer, the airfare to Fl. is getting hectic

Any of those ports would be great. Flight to Florida now cost more than the cruise. Last week I priced two tickets from DTW to FLL and it was $1400.00 just for the plane tickets. :eek: It used to be about $300 for two.:mad:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I usually keep my "cruise opinions" to myself, but I've admitted in the past I'm a "big ship" kinda gal, so I'll toss in my vote for a Freedom-class ship in Bayonne as well....

Laura

I usually keep my "cruise opinions" to myself, but I've admitted in the past I'm a "big ship" kinda gal, so I'll toss in my vote for a Freedom-class ship in Bayonne as well....

Laura

Sounds good to me. You can have Freedom class (whichever one is supposedly coming to PC) if Port Canaveral can keep Mariner - or even better get a Radiance class.......

Laura

Like Smokey and The Temptations said, "I Second That Emotion!"

Ah, you seem to be missing the point. If Oasis came to NJ, there would be no fuel costs involved as you could literary walk the deck right down to Bermuda.:D

Although I must agree I'd love a Freedom class, or better yet, anything! We hope to sail out of Bayonne this summer (might not be able to due to economy) and it'd be really nice if the following summer we could sail on a different ship!

By the way, rumor has it that another class (don't know which one) will be replacing explorer in 2010. (My friends a TA.) How great would it be if the new dock at Port Liberty was occupied by freedom AND the explorer stayed there??

Ah, you seem to be missing the point. If Oasis came to NJ, there would be no fuel costs involved as you could literary walk the deck right down to Bermuda.:D

Although I must agree I'd love a Freedom class, or better yet, anything! We hope to sail out of Bayonne this summer (might not be able to due to economy) and it'd be really nice if the following summer we could sail on a different ship!

By the way, rumor has it that another class (don't know which one) will be replacing explorer in 2010. (My friends a TA.) How great would it be if the new dock at Port Liberty was occupied by freedom AND the explorer stayed there??

My prediction is a Freedom Class ship and a Vision Class.

Last December, Xaviar, the HD at that time, did tell all of us at the repeaters party that indeed a second ship would be coming to Cape Liberty because the Corporate Office knows that the EX is sailing at full capacity and a second is needed.

I spent some time last month with Jorge, but forgot to ask him if he has heard anything new, or if things had changed since Xaviar had told us about the 2nd ship.

Archived