Help

CruisinFromUT

I have a question, how do you or how would you all convince someone who had a bad experience with cruising (sea sickness) to go on another cruise? My SO had a bad experience with that and swears she will never go on a cruise again. I would like to take her on our first cruise together and can't seem to get her to budge on the cruising thing. I keep seeing these fantastic cruise deals and try dropping hints but nothing seems to be working. I, myself have been on one cruise, and LOVED it, I just want to share the experience with her!!! Any suggestions. Are any Ports or Destinations easier on the stomach than others??? It's an odd question but I'm itching to go on another cruise!

A while back there was another thread that was almost word-for-word exactly the same as yours. I'm sure the same people that posted to that one, will come along and give you suggestions.

Perhaps she just does not like cruising; not everyone does. If you have directly asked her to try (was she taking medication the first time?), and she refuses, maybe it's time to compromise and try another type of vacation, or find another SO who enjoys the same things you do.

It appears she's had the "experience" and didn't like it! Take her to Vegas, instead! Stay in a NICE hotel and you'll get good service like you do on a ship, the food in Vegas is about 6 steps above most cruise ships, and the entertainment is outstanding! And no seasickness!

We love cruising, but we love other vacations, as well!

If I was ill the entire vacation, or on drowsy inducing medication and couldn't drink....that's not my idea of a good time!

If you really want her to join you in cruising, you will have to find something to overcome that fear of suffering from seasickness again (did she take meds, what kind, is there possibly another alternative that would do a better job for her?). On my mother's first cruise, she had a very bad case of seasickness - even taking seasick meds in advance. She was so miserable she said cruising wasn't for her and didn't want to cruise again. Last fall I booked a cruise to Alaska, and she asked if she could come. The lure of Alaska a place she loves was the incentive to get her back on a ship. I did research and found other seasick remedies for her (the patch) and she had a fabulous time on our cruise and is now hooked. The lure of a place she loves got her back on the ship - nothing else would have.

Also, you need to find out about other specific things she didn't like (maybe she doesn't like the crowds, the dining setup). Some things can be addressed (didn't like set dining times? Then try a line with freestyle dining) and some things can't be changed. Some people don't like the fact that you only get a short time in each place, others love the fact that you get to see multiple places in a short period of time.

The one thing you shouldn't do though is force her to cruise if she really doesn't want to. One person miserable for the sake of another is not a healthy relationship.

If I had been seasick on a cruise, there is NOTHING anyone could do to go through that experience again. And I'd feel petty hurt that, with so many different kinds of vacations to pick from, my SO might care more about one particular type of vacation than about my feelings and fears.

I just got back from my first cruise, and got sick. I would NEVER GO AGAIN. Even wearing the patch I was very unhappy. You still feel the ship swaying when you walk around. You can't drink. You feel dizzy all the time. When you get to port you are dizzy on land with a headache. It's so not worth it, beleive me. Unl;ess you experience the dreadfulness of it all, you have no idea, trust me. Go to Vegas, as suggested, or to a beautiful resort on an island. I'm home two days and still swaying. Cruises are NOT for everyone. Forget it.

I also didn't think I would like cruising. Just wasn't interested.....period! My husband kept trying to convince me, but "No thank you!" Finally, he got a very serious illness (no kidding!) and afterwards needed a recuperation time. He found an inexpensive, short (5 night) cruise and said he'd really like to go on that because the lazy days and warm weather would help him heal. What could I say??? And after that, I was hooked, too!!

Now, I don't suggest getting very sick, but perhaps you could just find a short (3-4 night) cruise and ask your SO to go for YOUR sake -- because it is something YOU want to do. And volunteer to do the same for them! :) You both might grow! And it's a good way to practice unselfishness, too!

Try asking this winter when the Inversion Layer sets in.

She'll pack for you & have you at the airport ready to go. Unless she has a season ski pass.

Bonine worked for my wife & me when we went on a Catamaran ride & the ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen. These ships are a lot smaller than a cruise ship. I used to live in southern California before I moved to Utah & I would get very seasick when I went out on the Pacific. There's other threads about seasickness cures.

It's more money to fly to Florida or a Gulf Coast port from Utah than it is to fly to San Diego or Long Beach/San Pedro. But isn't the Caribbean calmer than the Pacific?

Maybe I'm not supposed to mention this, because it can be construed as advertising. But a large local travel agency has advertised a Humanitarian Cruise. You'd be doing some work for a charity in Ensenada. If she thinks it's for a good cause, maybe she's be willing to give it another shot.

CruisingfromUtah, where are these great cruise deals you saw? I was in Evanston over the weekend. It was 40 F out on Sunday morning. Winter is coming up and while I am looking forward to being able to ski again; I'd also need a few days somewhere sunny and warm.

how do you or how would you all convince someone who had a bad experience with cruising (sea sickness) to go on another cruise?

Really, there isn't a way to do that. I'm going on my first cruise in a little over a month. I've never gotten sea sick and have been around boats most of my life but I do sometimes get motion sick in a car and have had issues with vertigo since I was 12 so I'm taking pre-cautions. However, if I get sea sick on this cruise, it will, without a doubt, be the last cruise I ever go on and I would consider it extremely selfish of my husband to even suggest we do it again despite the fact that it makes me ill. If you've never had the room spin on you where you couldn't move for three days straight, and I mean LITERALLY can't move without vomiting, you can't even begin to imagine the feeling. I typically get extremely queasy and the room spins but when I was 18, for three days straight I was flat on my back in bed and when I moved my head, lifted a finger off the bed or made any slight movement, I was vomiting (I know...TMI). It's the scariest feeling in the world.

I also didn't think I would like cruising. Just wasn't interested.....period! My husband kept trying to convince me, but "No thank you!" Finally, he got a very serious illness (no kidding!) and afterwards needed a recuperation time. He found an inexpensive, short (5 night) cruise and said he'd really like to go on that because the lazy days and warm weather would help him heal. What could I say??? And after that, I was hooked, too!!

Now, I don't suggest getting very sick, but perhaps you could just find a short (3-4 night) cruise and ask your SO to go for YOUR sake -- because it is something YOU want to do. And volunteer to do the same for them! :) You both might grow! And it's a good way to practice unselfishness, too!

I can see where asking someone to do something they had not desire to do could be seen as an exercise in unselfishness on their part, but to ask someone to do something that makes them physically sick, IMO, would be an exercise in extreme selfishness on the part of the instigator.

There are many ways to explore the world that do not include cruising. Other boating experiences may not make your SO sea sick. My step-dad owns a boat and goes fishing every chance he takes, on the lake, on the river, and on the ocean. He doesn't get sea sick doing that. However, when he's been on a party boat (fishing) he's gotten sea sick every time. Maybe you could include a boating excursion into your vacation if you SO is willing to try, but to push the issue could cause problems.

On my first cruise (last month) I was feeling sick within 10 minutes of leaving the dock, and when we hit heavy seas an hour later--OY!! Worst night of my life. But, it got better, so I'm good to go again, with a little more preparation.

What about the possibility of easing into it? For me the worst thing was the feeling of being trapped--no matter what, you couldn't get off! How about a short jaunt, maybe on a riverboat. And/or perhaps an itinerary that's pretty much guaranteed to be calm. It may be that she just can't take being on a boat, but it may be that with a little preparation, she'll be fine.

Archived