How should cruise lines communicate last-minute itinerary changes?

How should cruise lines communicate last-minute itinerary changes?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. How should cruise lines communicate last-minute itinerary changes?

• Have an automated recording go out to all passengers at home
    • Request multiple phone numbers at time of booking, and have real humans call all those numbers
    • Send out e-mail notifications
    • Post updates on company Web sites
    • All of the above!
    • Something else (which I'll post)

My hubby and I have been on over 40 cruises throughout the world. The solution is to ARRIVE A DAY BEFORE your cruise and get on the ship when embarkation begins (about noon to 1PM). Free Lido lunch is served.

Why people would show up at the "last minute" confounds me. The cruise ship airline package booking usually arrives on the same day. We try to book our airfare separately (usings frequent flyer points when we can).

We enjoy spending the "extra" night in the debarkation city. In fact, we usually meet some CC folks for dinner the night before the cruise. Another opportunity to "meet and greet".

I have no sympathy for those folks who "missed the boat", nor do I blame the cruise line for leaving early. Passenger safety should be their number one concern when bad weather is forecast.

We always arrive a day early............BUT..........if the cruiseline decides to leave at 1pm instead of 5pm, I'm not sure that will help you much unless you get to the pier at 11am......

Wasn't it a couple of years ago one of the harbor masters decided to close one of the Florida ports and one of the RC ships had to leave early?

Personally , I like to arrive the day before for a cruise so that I am not tired the first day of the cruise. having said that, it is really hard for a lot of people to get the day off before a cruise or to be able to afford a hotlel in the Miami, ftl area. for a lot of peolpe they have to save for a long time for a cruise. ( I know I do). secondly, the word went out a couple of days before the cruise, maybe those people could not get there flights changed in such a short time..... the report did not say why they arrived late, so we can only speculate.

I think NCL and anyother cruise line should make the calls to the people as wellas to the TA. so that both can notifiy. better to be redundant.

I think NCL did what thay thought they needed to do to help out those who where left behind. remember the contract says that the schedule may be changed with out notice.

Not only "all the above" but sooner. They can nake decisions much sooner than they do. For most people 24 hours is not enough when they are coming in by plane especially. Also, when they do notify them they should also be given the option of cancelling with full refund if they know they cannot make it.

Wasn't it a couple of years ago one of the harbor masters decided to close one of the Florida ports and one of the RC ships had to leave early?

I know it happened to Granduer in Bermuda. She had to leave early due to a tropical storm coming in. RCCL paid for hotel rooms for those left behind, paid for their flights home, and refunded at least part of their cruises.

I know it happened to Granduer in Bermuda. She had to leave early due to a tropical storm coming in. RCCL paid for hotel rooms for those left behind, paid for their flights home, and refunded at least part of their cruises.

Thanks Wrona.........I knew it happened somewhere.......the ol memory isn't what it used to be.:)

Ok I guess if it would have happened to me I would be quiet upset. I don't blame NCL for this because I read it ahead of time on the cruise critic boards, so I think everyone that is going on a cruise should be registered on cruise critic.:D It is not like they left a day ahead or in the morning. I mean why would someone want to chance missing a cruise by waiting 2 hrs before it is scheduled to leave to get to the port ? I always go a day ahead of time and get there by 10:30am or at least 11:00am. I am just too excited to wait until 2 hrs before leaving the port. If they are flying in then they need to always be scheduled to arrive in the morning. This is only my opinion but I just don't see why people are going to blame NCL or any other cruiseline. Also during hurricane season I would always get insurance. I know cruises are cheaper durung this time, but I don't think I want to book during hurricane season.

To Verbally notify people of something is invalid if they 'miss the boat". How many times have you tried to get a customer service rep to keep their word only to find out it doesn't matter if it's not in writing in the contract. These folks have doc's that state their departure time and if the cruise leaves early these folks are due any out of pocket expenses and a full refund because the cruise broke the contract.

These folks have also, presumably, read the ticket contract and terms of conditions and know that a ships itinerary can be changed at any time, for any reason, without notice. THAT is the contract!!! NCL didn't break it......it's clearly stated that they can do it....

It is up to the passenger to keep track if they KNOW there are weather problems.

Pick up the phone and call for updates.... It's free. With everyone and their uncle running around with a cell phone attached to their ears, how hard is it to dial a toll-free phone number...... What, suddenly they forgot how to use theirs?

In this "nanny" society we seem to be in, nobody ever wants to take responsibility for their own actions.....:cool:

My head must have been in the sand...I just saw this thread. And most options have been discussed...but long story short when you cruise during hurricane season you have to keep yourself up to date with the frequently changing weather conditions...and I can't even imagine getting to the port so late. :eek:

Text message to your cell phone with phone number to contact for more complete information or if you have more questions.

What if someone doesn't have a cell phone or even a computer? What if someone is on a cruise on another cruiseline and then will do a B2B?

It should be the cruiser's responsibility to call as well as the lines responsibility to post on website and maybe email any changes. To put the burden on the cruise line to have to call all passengers and track them down, especially if it is for reasons of a disaster, is unrealistic.

It might be best served, as most companies do, with a pre-recorded "disaster" hotline. The cruise lines could have a dedicated line for each specific ship with the pre-recorded messages and instruction and then the option to be transferred to a live rep if they need additional info or assistance.

I wish they would have an 800 number with a recording that lists the departure status for each cruise/port for the day. When you are traveling to the port, it would be easier for you to reach them than for NCL to reach you.

I think that's a great idea! If they did that, and posted the same info on their websites, everybody could easily check by phone or computer!!

My head must have been in the sand...I just saw this thread. And most options have been discussed...but long story short when you cruise during hurricane season you have to keep yourself up to date with the frequently changing weather conditions...and I can't even imagine getting to the port so late. :eek:

With the new Homeland Security laws, regarding having to checkin at least 1 1/2 hours prior to departure, we don't know that these 12 people didn't arrive at 2:00 for what should be a 5PM departure. Plenty of time under normal circumstances.

While I agree they should have checked with the cruise line as well, blaming them for possibly getting to the ship at a time that many people recommend getting to ship. I like to get there early and be on the ship ASAP, but some people believe getting there later has less lines, and you walk right on the ship.

The report states that NCL attempte to contact everyone on the manifest. That is the best they could do. Giving full refunds was not required under the Contract, but it was the right thing to do from a PR stand point. No major company wants bad press, and for whatever reason the media loves going after the cruise industry, and since most people will take the side of the customer in a business situation, better to do the simple thing. The media would have scewed the report that the cruiseline made the change, and didn't care if those people got on the ship. And lets face it NCL has enough problems with there image right now, they don't need any outside trouble.

Hopefully those people can take the refund and go on another sailing, hopefully with out the risk of a hurricane.

Happy sailing to all,

David

I chose the automated phone calls....because I think this is probably the most realistic choice.....it's cheap. can reach many people and direction can be given as to what can/should be done next, quickly and efficiently.....just MHO!:D

Andy

My first two cruises, I didn't read the contract close enough to realize the itinerary could and does get changed. I booked a 12 day Celebrity Constellation New England/Canada cruise for the itinerary, then on this website started reading about Summit and Infinity M-class problems with their pod systems causing changes and cancellations of cruises. I worried for the whole year prior to our cruise. There was one port change maybe six months prior to the cruise. Then the day we boarded the ship, they passed out 3x5 cards telling us the schedule had changed and we would be in Saint Johns New Brunswick on a different day. Creating 3 at sea days on the Southbound journey opposed to only 2 that was originally scheduled.

I don't even worry about changes in itinerary now, if you book the cruise, that's the chance you take. It is in the cruise contract that they can change the itinerary for weather, mechanical, or any reason whatsoever. So to book the cruise, you agree to that stipulation. I'm not happy about it, as I cruise for the itinerary, but nothing you can do about it. Our cruise to the Med (Rome, Livorno, Monte Carlo, Naples, Santorini, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Athens, Corfu, and Venice) would be cost/time prohibitive if we had to fly to all these ports. I hope we make all the ports as that's why we chose this cruise, but there is the chance of a change.

The only time I really think the cruiseline should have to contact you is if they are cancelling your cruise altogether and that should be known early enough to preclude anyone flying to the port and if they did fly, fair compensation for airfare expended should be given, in addition to the refund of the cruisefare.

Very good question/pole.

We always go to our embarkation ports at 2 or 3 days early. So we would be at the ship in plenty of time should they decide to leave early.

But for those flying in on the same day -- that could be a very BIG problem.

There would be no way that the cruise line could get hold of us on that day. Because of where we live, we even have to stay at a hotel the night before we fly and are at the airport at 5 AM!! I have no reason to take a laptop with me anymore - don't need a cell phone -- no one to call while we are away -- don't have any of those other fancy gadgets. And since we can't get direct flights anymore - there would be a good chance that we could miss the ship like those other people did.

Really feel sorry for them.

And don't have an answer/solution for this.

For those of you who are criticizing those who fly in the day of, for most of those people there is no choice. So I would suggest you stop criticizing them and try to give some construction alternatives for future cruisers.

Yes, most definitely insurance should be taken - anytime you are going on vacation.

Yes, if feasible you should fly in the day before.

Yes, each cruiseline should have a hot line available for cruisers to call. However they don't so that one is up to the cruiselines.

• 4 months later...

I understand NCL's problem with notifying customers of changes due to weather, especially when the customer has used a travel agent or arranged their own transportation. Weather changes are last minute esecially during hurricane season as you don't know where the storm is going until too late. Many people add a cruise to longer vacation and are not home when the call comes in telling them of the change, especially international customers.

I think every cruiser should leave a cell phone number as well as a home number and an e-mail address with the cruise line. People have to take responsibility to check these things out for themselves. I always leave early if I don't use the cruiselines air and always have several different ways they can contact me with messages.

Like airlines weather changes are not the fault of the provider and they are not required to pay your expenses. Mechanical problems would be another story. Considering only a dozen people missed the ship I think NCL did a fantastic job notifying people. I also blame the people for being to stupid to understand you always get to the airport and dock early incase of problems like this and traffic. These are probally the same people you hear being paged when the ship is ready to leave a port of call because they didn't get back to the ship on time. It's better to wait to board the ship then wave goodbye from the dock.

Most already to those things listed.

It is still the passengers responsibility to confirm 24 hours prior to departure by calling the company. If the passenger is in transit or on a pretour, they probably won't get the word. It's always best to call yourself.....and it's free.

In some cases, changes are made too close to departure, so people are notified at boarding or when arriving in their cabins. This is simply a fact of life when cruising.

Too many people make too big a stink about the whole thing. If someone has booked a cruise only for the ports, there is bound to be disappointment sooner or later.

Veteran cruisers know and accept that changes, while disappointing, can and do happen all the time.

Archived