Would Teens Enjoy Celebrity?

debcip

We have the opportunity to go with family on the Solstice next summer. It sounds like a great trip. I am worried, however, that my girls (13 and 16) will find the atmosphere to be too subdued. They do not like the organized activities on a cruise ship, they are more freewheeling (pool, snacks, exploring, playing cards on their own). They don't cause trouble, and are not rabble rousers, but they like to laugh and have fun. I'm afraid that the Celebrity ships may prove to be too stuffy for them. Thoughts?

I just returned from a cruise on the Constellation and talked to to several of the young people about the activities that were offered. They said that they were having fun and enjoying the ports. There was a room for playing cards, a library, music and several activities just for teens with dancing.

I have taken my son twice on Celebrity cruises (Century both times) and he loved it! Had a blast. He was 14 the first time and 15 the second. He found it easy to meet other teens and he spent alot of time just hanging out with his buddies (i.e., not in any planned activity.) he would go again in a heartbeat!

I enjoyed Celebrity as a teen, even when I bunked with my brothes (although that was less enjoyable). Didn't really do the organized activities - I was 17 or 18 on my first cruise - but there were people to hang out with and things to do.

I liked it so much my FI and I are leaving on Millenium to Alaska on Friday. We're now 25 and 26

Glad to hear such positive thoughts for travelling with teens on Celebrity.

We are on the 25th of July 09 Constellation~Scandinavia/Russia cruise. Anyone else out there?..... if so we have a roll call - come and join us!!

We just got back from an Alaska cruise on the Infinity. My 14-year-old had a great time. She went to Notes, met a few kids, and spent the rest of the time hanging around with them. I, too , was worried that she would not have a good time, but she really enjoyed it.

We just did a Celebrity cruise (Arctic Circle on Century) with our 13 and 16 year old sons. They had a great time. There were apparently enough other teens on the cruise to hang out, even if they didn't do many of the organised events. No issue with stuffiness.

Debbie ~ our daughter is now 21 and has sailed on a variety of Celebrity ships during her teen years. She was never bored and she sounds a lot like your daughters. After she hit 13, she didn't do much of the organized activities but usually made a friend and did the types of things your daughters enjoy.

Solstice is going to be a great ship and I think they'll really like it.

Come back and let us know!

We just got off the Infinity (same cruise as NJSue). My daughters 13 and 11 both had an amazing time. The activities for the older kids 12+ are more geared for them to meet other kids their age; then they ventured out on their own. My daughter always found something to do.

Having spent much of my youth on the "stoop",or playing in the "lots",I still chuckle how we have spoiled our kids,mine included,to the extent that we show concern as to whether they will find the atmosphere"too subdued" on a brand new,world class Celebrity cruise ship.

Once when we picked up our kids from school ,drove them to the airport, and informed them that "we were going to Disney World!" ,the only response from my seven year old was"First class or coach?"

There is something very wrong in both there cases.

Having spent much of my youth on the "stoop",or playing in the "lots",I still chuckle how we have spoiled our kids,mine included,to the extent that we show concern as to whether they will find the atmosphere"too subdued" on a brand new,world class Celebrity cruise ship.

Once when we picked up our kids from school ,drove them to the airport, and informed them that "we were going to Disney World!" ,the only response from my seven year old was"First class or coach?"

That's so funny, but so true!

I remember when I was a kid, I had to walk about 1 1/2 miles each way to school every day. Now kids won't walk across the street, they have to be driven, in a BMW or Lexus of course!:eek:

I agree that my kids have more recreational opportunities then I did. It's a legitimate question from the OP. In my own case, my children's enjoyment adds to my own in two ways; I like to see them happy and if they are interested in their own activities, it gives me time to enjoy my own interests which shouldn't necessarily be their interests.

The secret IMO to prevent the lack of appreciation is to educate them in appreciation of the opportunities they have. On my first night home as I said goodnight to my daughter, she said "thanks". I said, thanks for what?

She said, "for taking me to Alaska". :)

Hi, We had at the time of being onboard millie two teenagers about the same age as your two, what an experience for the my daughter loved to dress up for evening meals and my son loved the shows. A bit of advice might be to one night give the main sitting a miss and watch a film and order pizza. The food on celebrity is first class and the burger and fries which they loved went down a treat. If as you say you have well behaved childern then you will enjoy your trip, kids need treats as well.

We have the opportunity to go with family on the Solstice next summer. It sounds like a great trip. I am worried, however, that my girls (13 and 16) will find the atmosphere to be too subdued. They do not like the organized activities on a cruise ship, they are more freewheeling (pool, snacks, exploring, playing cards on their own). They don't cause trouble, and are not rabble rousers, but they like to laugh and have fun. I'm afraid that the Celebrity ships may prove to be too stuffy for them. Thoughts?
First off: summer vacation and cruising equals kids, so they will find lots of friends. Our granddaughters cruised Celebrity twice when they were teens, had a great time. In both cases they did not get involved in the teen life as they were just a few years to old for organized programs. Between port activities, pool time, taking part in trivia games with us, meals, shows, etc they never were bored.

Nita

I agree that my kids have more recreational opportunities then I did. It's a legitimate question from the OP. In my own case, my children's enjoyment adds to my own in two ways; I like to see them happy and if they are interested in their own activities, it gives me time to enjoy my own interests which shouldn't necessarily be their interests.

The secret IMO to prevent the lack of appreciation is to educate them in appreciation of the opportunities they have. On my first night home as I said goodnight to my daughter, she said "thanks". I said, thanks for what?

She said, "for taking me to Alaska". :)

Thank you for your analagy..........mine also.

I am hoping, that in years to come, my two sons wil appreciate their horizons being broadened by travel. Having them 'entertained' for sea days is not a necessity, but a you say....happy children/teenagers.......happy parents............ it is always a two way thing - as it is in marriage.............COMPRIMISE and EQUALITY??

I am sure my children will have a great time..........I am hoping that less children/teens will mean stronger bonds with fellow cruisers, be it children/teens or adults.

Travel is such a leaning curve .............all that I require is that they have a good time when at sea days.

Enjoy

I love everyone on this thread!! Will you all come on Solstice with us? My husband and I have these conversations constantly (we also grew up on the stoop, playing stickball in the back driveway), being appreciative of what we've been lucky enough to get, trying to teach our kids to appreciate as well, and wanting them to be happy for all of the reasons stated above. Thank you!

Archived