Any CPAP users out there?

stillabrownsfan

This will be my first cruise taking my CPAP machine. Do any of you have helpful hints for me? Any problems setting it up in the room? Were you able to get distilled water onboard from the ship, or do you have to lug it on yourself? Any help would be much appreciated.

Carol :p

This will be my first cruise taking my CPAP machine. Do any of you have helpful hints for me? Any problems setting it up in the room? Were you able to get distilled water onboard from the ship, or do you have to lug it on yourself? Any help would be much appreciated.

Carol :p

What we have done in the past is to fax in the medical form to Princess (available on Princess.com with your booking info). They readily supply a gallon of distilled water for you to use with your C-Pap machine, no problem.

You might want to pack an extention cord, depending on what type of stateroom category you have booked, just to make sure it reaches the plug in by the desk.

I have taken mine on 4 differect Princess ships and have always used the water from the tap. Never had any problems using it. It has always reached the plug on the desk as long as you sleep in the bed next to the desk

DH uses a CPAP and I won't let him go anywhere without it :D No problems. Like Toto said, best to bring an extension cord ( especially if you prefer one side of the bed) so it can reach the outlet. He also uses tap water and has had no problems with that, but use what you feel best with.

Just got off the Emerald Princess - DH used his CPAP every night - he used the ships tap water, no problem and no build up, and we brought a multiplug outlet strip just in case. Worked very well and everyone slept great.

Easy process to bring the CPAP on board - biggest hassle was going through the TSA....

- biggest hassle was going through the TSA....

Oh yea, almost forgot about that problem. If flying with a C-Pap, you have to take it completely out of it's case so they can check it over. Totally a pain in the rear to put it mildly. Then YOU have to pack it all up again. So, give yourself a little extra time going through security at the airport, and bring your patience. :mad:

Is it really necessary to fax the medical form to Princess for the CPAP? I don't know why but it just bugs me to have to do it.

No, not necessary, it just made it easier to have the distilled water waiting in the stateroom. Even though many use the ships water for their humidifier in theirs, my DH will not do it and will only use the distilled water in his. It just made it simpler is all. But you do not HAVE TO fax over the form if you don't want to.

Thanks I know I am being silly. I think it is because I am still in denial about having to use it and/or having any "medical condition" in general. I feel perfectly healthy (even before CPAP) and don't like the feeling of sending a medical notice when I am fine. See....denial.

Thank you all for your help. I will pick up an extension cord since I always sleep on the right side of the bed. I went on a land trip with the CPAP, and noticed a "film" in the water reservoir when I used tap water, so have been sticking with distilled. Can I call Princess with the request, or must I fax?

Thanks again,

Carol :)

Thank you all for your help. I will pick up an extension cord since I always sleep on the right side of the bed. I went on a land trip with the CPAP, and noticed a "film" in the water reservoir when I used tap water, so have been sticking with distilled. Can I call Princess with the request, or must I fax?

Thanks again,

Carol :)

Carol, you are actually supposed to fax it over so the medical department has this on file.

One thing also, if they are not notified that you are using a C-Pap and say the machine should break, you are on your own while sailing as they will have no record of you needing this device. Not sure what would happen then?? I know for us, my DH or I would be sleeping in another stateroom as there is no getting any sleep, for either of us, when he doesn't have his working. :eek: :eek:

Notifying them is just for the distilled water, otherwise they don’t care. I bring a extension cord but when I’ve askecd the room steward for one he’s always brought me one. Depending on the cabin design decides where you plug it in. On the Tahitian we plugged it in to the plug behind the TV. Who knew there was a plug there :rolleyes:

I am having trouble finding the form to download and fax :confused: can you please tell me what I click on to find it ? I'm kinda new at this:(

Carol

Carol, No problem, I will save you the trouble of finding it. Here is the link which will take you right to it.

https://book.princess.com/pdf/cp/Princess_Health_Form.pdf

The FAX number to fleet medical is located at the bottom of the form.

Be sure and hand carry your machine. Do not give it to the porter to have delivered to your room. If you have electronic devices you also want to charge up at night, bring a power strip with you as well.

DH never lets his CPAP out of his sight - stays in his back pack. He's always used an extension cord plugged in over by the "desk". So far - knock on wood - TSA has never made him take it out of his backpack when he goes through security.

DH never lets his CPAP out of his sight - stays in his back pack. He's always used an extension cord plugged in over by the "desk". So far - knock on wood - TSA has never made him take it out of his backpack when he goes through security.

You are very very lucky about TSA. We have taken probably 10 or12 flights since my DH got his and each time it has gotten worse. First flights they just asked what it was, second flights they just wanted to see it, the last few flights they have had us completely take it apart and scan it several times as well as swab it down with the little wipes.

I hope your luck holds, not sure when you last were on a flight, but I would count on things being tighter through some airports. Even the smaller airports we have flown out of they have really shaken us down because of that C-Pap.

You are very very lucky about TSA. We have taken probably 10 or12 flights since my DH got his and each time it has gotten worse. First flights they just asked what it was, second flights they just wanted to see it, the last few flights they have had us completely take it apart and scan it several times as well as swab it down with the little wipes.

I hope your luck holds, not sure when you last were on a flight, but I would count on things being tighter through some airports. Even the smaller airports we have flown out of they have really shaken us down because of that C-Pap.

We've been flying with the CPAP since 2000 and guess we have been very very lucky. We fly our of either Birmingham or Atlanta and last return flight was out of San Francisco last Sept. I'll let DH know to keep it on the top of all his junk he carries in his backpack so he can get to it easily if he gets stopped..

This is yet (another!) one of those things that is changed and/or inconsistent.

My DH starting using a CPAP a little over a year ago. We travel several times a year, and my memory is that the first two or three times we traveled with it he never had to take it out of the case.

Then....our last two trips (Chicago in July, Palm Springs in Feb) they made him take it completely out of the bag, etc. Total pain in the ***. Yet on one of the flights (can't remember which) he acted like he didn't know any better and left it in the bag and no one said anything. Again, inconsistent TSA!

He also has a hip replacement which means he always sets off the machine. So we've learned to live with it and allow extra time for security. If you saw him you'd never guess he's such a medical type- maybe that's what all these devices do for us!

We've got two trips coming up for family events and then a cruise in December- we'll just plan on him taking it out of the case and deal with it.

One small hint- you may want to see how long your DH's hose is. Mine got the longer one originally (I think it was 8 or 10 feet?) and then went to a shorter one (4 feet?) for home. However, when we travel he always takes the longer hose as you never know where you are going to be able to put the machine verus his head....that's been useful in several hotel situations.

Nice thing is- the CPAP is not counted as a "carry on" since it's a medical device. And he always puts reading material or whatever in the case to just get a little more free space! Some payback for the hassle.

And here's to good sleep for all......

We always take a good sturdy extension cord as it gives me more flexibility on where to put the CPAP. I agree with a previous poster that I don't feel comfortable sharing any more medical info than I need to, so I've never sent any forms in advance. I use tap water with no problems too.

The new TSA reg on CPAP's:

"Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Machines

CPAPs are allowed through security checkpoints once they have undergone screening.

Passengers will be required to take their CPAP machine out of its carrying case and place the device in a bin for x-ray screening. Facemasks and tubing can remain in the carrying case.

In addition to x-ray inspection of your CPAP machine, a visual and physical inspection, and Explosive Trace Detection (ETD) sampling will be required."

I was told this went into effect October 1, 2007

Mike:)

This is yet (another!) one of those things that is changed and/or inconsistent.

Nice thing is- the CPAP is not counted as a "carry on" since it's a medical device. And he always puts reading material or whatever in the case to just get a little more free space! Some payback for the hassle.

And here's to good sleep for all......

Maybe that's why DH isn't asked to take his CPAP out. He doesn't carry it as a separate "carry on". He has the case in his backpack with his books, games, candy, etc. His CPAP case is only large enough for the machine, long hose and mask.

Carrying a long extension cord is easier, for me, than carrying a long cpap tube. In any ship cabin or any hotel room I've been in, the long extension cord works fine (allows the machine to be next to the bed rather than next to the outlet).

I have been through TSA security when they made me take out the machine for inspection, but not recently. They seem to know what it is, and if it goes through xray that will do it. Now my leg brace is another thing -- it sets off the alarm and I know the routine so I tell them in advance I will set off the alarm, and -- yes -- we just need to allow plenty of extra time to do the security check dance.

David

Archived