HAL Goes Mobile

heavenly

HollandAmerica.com goes mobile

Holland America Line created a mobile-friendly version of its website, www.hollandamerica.com, for all devices able to connect to the Internet.

‘More and more people are using mobile devices to get things done when traveling, while waiting in line, and at other so-called down times,’ said Rick Meadows, evp marketing, sales and guest programs.

Web surfers will be automatically redirected to the new mobile site if a user accesses the site from a mobile device. To mobilize the site, images were removed and layouts simplified for use on a mobile device.

Also, the company adapted the most popular areas of the site for mobile use, including the research tools Cruise and CruiseTour Finder to find travel options and pricing, ports information to look up such things as departure port details and directions while in a cab and the ability for past customers to look up their Mariner Society number on-line.

A special phone number is listed for those who want to call and book from their mobile device, too, since bookings cannot be made through the mobile website.

Drives me nuts we companies redirect you to a "mobile" version of their website. People don't buy an iPhone/iPod touch to get redirected to some dumbed down cell phone version of a website. At least HAL provides a link to get back to the regular version of their site which works fine on my iPod (ok, except for the Flash content).

c-cruise

When did "now" happen? They said it was usable when I was on the Noordam in January, but it wasn't.

Thanks!

This topic was discuss in another thread. I had asked the same question and got 20 different opinions... the final answer was....

YES... you can now us your AT&T cell on HAL... if you have a phone that is on the GSM network.

Here's the thread for AT&T cell phone question:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=815166

Call me old fashioned and one of the minority but I leave my cell phone at home when I travel. Oh don't get me wrong, I think they are great in emergencies and there are times where a quick call is convenient. However, as I use a blackberry for work every day I feel these things are nothing but electronic leashes to me more times than not. In fact I actually had other staff asked me last year if I was taking my blackberry on my vacation - something I am sure my bosses would have loved. My reply was that if I did it would be found at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean.:D Besides, I have to admit my partner took his cell phone so I was not totally without. However, I never used it either.:eek:

Do we really need to make phone calls from the middle of the ocean anyway?

David

Call me old fashioned and one of the minority but I leave my cell phone at home when I travel. Oh don't get me wrong, I think they are great in emergencies and there are times where a quick call is convenient. However, as I use a blackberry for work every day I feel these things are nothing but electronic leashes to me more times than not. In fact I actually had other staff asked me last year if I was taking my blackberry on my vacation - something I am sure my bosses would have loved. My reply was that if I did it would be found at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean.:D Besides, I have to admit my partner took his cell phone so I was not totally without. However, I never used it either.:eek:

Do we really need to make phone calls from the middle of the ocean anyway?

David

I take my smartphone with me (since I am travelling to wherever the cruise starts) , but it is off while at sea. It makes a good alarm clock! I will check email, text messages and calls when in port.

Someone I know works for a Dutch bank and when they take vacation they have to turn in the blackberries. Smart company :)

Hello All:

Ships Services told me last week that AT&T did not renew the contract with Sea Mobile and HAL therefore we could not use our AT&T phone at sea.

kat

SeaMobile and AT&T had a contract for the first time a few months ago. Interesting info on the SeaMobile web site:

Does SeaMobile provide the ability to use mobile phones at sea?

Wireless voice and data service is provided at sea by WMS, our joint venture with AT&T Mobility.

Archived