Money for Egypt

ozcaz

Hi all,

Just wondering what you all did in regards to having money for day trips in Egypt. Does the boat carry Egyptian. I dont think we will be buying alot except a few souveniors but think should have money on us just in case.

We will be on a RCL Tour so i dont think access to a ATM will be accessable.

Many thanks

Caz Australia

Our HAL ship did not carry Egyptian money. We paid our private guides in US$, no problem. However, we had heard from a lecturer on our ship that we would need Egyptian pounds at the pyramids, Solar Boat Museum, etc. Our guide pulled into a bank just across the street from the pyramids and got money for us. What we had left we just used for the tips. We, indeed, needed Egyptian money for the Solar Boat Museum. We decided not to go into a pyramid, so don't know what they required there The vendors accepted US$.

When we went to Egypt we did get some Egyptian currency in advance. The currency company sent us a few big bills and a whole stack of LE5 notes, worth about a buck. We couldn't figure out why.

When we got there we understood. EVERYBODY in Egypt has their hand out, for LE5, US$1 or E1. It is called "baksheesh." Even in the restroom you will find some enterprising young man has pulled the wires out of the electric hand dryer and is standing there handing out paper towels for "baksheesh." The Tourist Police are as bad as anybody. Take a picture and it is "baksheesh." It is just the way things work, so go with it.

Frankly we did not need the Egyptian currency. If you are in a tour group US$ will do every place.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Yes, plan for restroom use. However, I thought it was interesting that when we went to the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, there was a posted sign that "No Tipping." But there was a girl there with a handout! I pointed to the sign and she did nothing more! My husband didn't see the sign!

• 2 weeks later...

If you decide to get some Egyptian pounds from an ATM or a bank keep in mind that the money is FILTHY! Keep the bills in a baggie and use one on your hands to handle them. too. Use lots of Purcell disinfectant on your hands all the time, too.

Archived