floating mats on Labadee

I have read that the price to rent these mats has gone up to $12 and some people say they bring them from home. Can someone who has done this please tell me where to get them and what they are made of. Thnks for any info Roz

I would just throw in a few "blow up" floats, the ones at Labadee are sorta thick. I would not want to lug those things with my luggage ;)

We got a couple of the floating mats on another cruise that stopped at Coco Cay, and being the sun worshiper I am it was one of the best $10 I spent and if the price goes up $2 I think I can handle it. I took my mat and found a quieter area and just floated. It was one of the most relaxing things I did on my cruise.

For those who have been to Labadee.....while floating on one of these mats do you have to worry about fish swimming around you? Don't laugh, but I am afraid of fish....I love the water, but not the wiggling little things that are all around! :eek:

For those who have been to Labadee.....while floating on one of these mats do you have to worry about fish swimming around you? Don't laugh, but I am afraid of fish....I love the water, but not the wiggling little things that are all around! :eek:

Brenda, that is one of the reasons I love those mats. They are large so no toes or anything hang over for fishes to nibble on! :p

Brenda, that is one of the reasons I love those mats. They are large so no toes or anything hang over for fishes to nibble on! :p

Nibble??? :eek: Oh God!!! I did read that you did not see alot of fish in Labadee. Is this true? I sure hope so!!! I love to float. I have a mat that I float around on in my pool all the time. Its the best part of my day!

Hmmmmm......I dont ever recall little fishies swimming around my feet and toesies! Thats something I also would have remembered..I would have caused a commotion and DH would whimsically remind me of it often! lol

We buy blow-ups and bring them, blow them up and then either leave them for others or toss them. While in Bermuda at Snorkel Park last- omg! the Operator where you RENT blow up tubes and other assorted 'stuff' was THRILLED when I asked him if he wanted us to leave our 4 blow-up tubes for him.

You can find them like others said....in Wal Mart, target and stores of the like. I pick them up when I see them and add them to out cruise-kit! (I paid $3.55 each in June for big blow up tubes to lay in/on) You know.....hmmmm they might all be sold out by now- but it sure is worth the look when you're out shopping!

I got a couple of blow-up mats at Walmart last week (clearance $3) but they are kinda heavy and I wonder if we will really be able to blow them up. I was looking for the lightest, cheapest ones I could find but I think it is too late in the season... I'm sure there is no air pump on Labadee we could use, right???

After watching "When Beaches Attack" on Discovery last night...ain't NO way, I am going in that water!!!!!!:eek:

I still have vivid memories of everyone leaving this person behind on Buck Island tour when I encountered hundreds of tiny jellyfish on that snorkel!!!:eek:

It was ok....but it did cause some conserternation from this NONswimmer.....good thing I mastered floating as a child!:)

I got a couple of blow-up mats at Walmart last week (clearance $3) but they are kinda heavy and I wonder if we will really be able to blow them up. I was looking for the lightest, cheapest ones I could find but I think it is too late in the season... I'm sure there is no air pump on Labadee we could use, right???

LOL Probably not, great thought though!!

Maybe try a dollar store??

They have an air pump available for $10 (plus $2 recommended tip to the air pump stewart).

Just pick a yellow matt; fish are very afraid of the color yellow.

They have an air pump available for $10 (plus $2 recommended tip to the air pump stewart).

They do??? Where is it on Labadee? Of course, by the time I pay the $10 I might as well rent the mat.... Would this be $10 per float (I have 2) or just $10 total?

I tried the dollar store - they are out...

They do??? Where is it on Labadee? Of course, by the time I pay the $10 I might as well rent the mat.... Would this be $10 per float (I have 2) or just $10 total?

I tried the dollar store - they are out...

You can either pay $10 per float or purchase a frequent pumper package. I think it was $25 for two floats and $40 for the deluxe three pump package. I believe there was a $5 oxygen supplement added to the package deals. With the deluxe pump package they through in unlimited use of a beach chair while not using your float.

Most small floats are easily blown up by mouth! You don't need huge, expensive floats! Just things that will fold down to nothing when deflated!

I really want to post the picture of me blowing up one of our tubes last month, its jusy way too embarrasing to post lololol !!!

GOOD TO KNOW! Is this fairly new? I dont recall them having air pumps when we were last in Labadee. Thanks for the info.

GOOD TO KNOW! Is this fairly new? I dont recall them having air pumps when we were last in Labadee. Thanks for the info.

They have had it for years, but the person running the air pump only recently received a permit for operating on the Royal Caribbean side of Haiti. Prior to this people had to jump the fence with their float to use the services.

The best cruise video I have is of us blowing up our dollar store air mattresses at Paradise Beach, Cozumel. After a few "beverages" the video became even more interesting when our friend decided they were worth saving (I was going to toss them after using once)...the video I have of all four of us removing the air from those mattresses was worth the price of the cruise!

Archived