Rotterdam - getting on a bit or beautifully preserved?

bigwally

Considering the Rotterdam for a northern Europe jaunt next year. Love the size, itinerary isn't bad, price is about on par with other lines given the departure date.

But what about the condition of the ship. I've read in the sticky how it's considered one of the line's flagships. But built in 1997......that's a lot of years under a ship's belt without a major refit.

So, how's she holding up?

We did a 17 day Atlantic crossing on the Rotterdam about 2 1/2 years ago, so we're a little out of date -- however, at the time the ship was in excellent shape. We far preferred the experience on her to what we had on a Vista class ship earlier that year.

But built in 1997......that's a lot of years under a ship's belt without a major refit.

All HAL ships have regular wet and drydocks. So, please don't be afraid that the Rotterdam hasn't been tended to. And, btw, this is still a young ship---they're not like cars.

I've sailed four cruises on the Rotterdam---totaling 97 days. The last time was in Jan/Feb this year, and I have 32 more days booked on her. She's beautiful.

The Rotterdam is HAL's flagship, and is treated that way. She was built with extra care and special touches that make her stand out. Check out the dance floor in the Explorers Lounge, for example.

You can't go wrong on this ship.

I made the "mistake" of making the Rotterdam my very first cruise back in 04. It was a mistake because now everything else has a very high mark to live up to. I liked the Noordam, but I love the Rotterdam.

Have no fear......as my wife would say "bookit Dano" and my names not Dan....um

Glad to read the good posts. We booked the Rotterdam due to intinerary, size and we had wanted to try HAL.

I just hope 1997 wasn't too late to have a smooth stabilizer, not like the newer larger ships. (Hope they don't use any stabilizer:D )

I was aboard the Rotterdam last month in the Baltic. The Rotterdam is in great shape and in good repair. The crew did an excellent job of keeping her clean and looking good.

The chief engineer must have an aggressive schedule for maintinance. For example, While in Warenmuende, Germany, they had a condor crane dockside and were painting a section of the hull. Several times onboard, sections of the handrail on the stairs had wet paint signs above them because the handrail had been revarnished and the new varnish was still drying. (The handrail on the other side of the stairs was available for use)I received a note in my cabin that the air conditioning packs were going off-line for maintenance (and in response to the note, Dani, our cabin steward opened the door to the varandah to let cool air in while he made up our cabin.)

Bottom line.... she may be 11 years old, but the Rotterdam has been very well taken care of. I hope you enjoy the Baltic as much as I did.

Rick

I was aboard the Rotterdam last month in the Baltic. The Rotterdam is in great shape and in good repair. The crew did an excellent job of keeping her clean and looking good.

I was also aboard Rotterdam in July. Everything posted there is exactly correct. I also noticed a crane type device in, I think, Arhus. The maintenance was ongoing even at sea.

I haven't been on any other HAL (or anyone else's) ships, but I'd sail on the Rotterdam again tomorrow. It's a magnificent ship.

Don't let larger size fool you into thinking "more stable", and not needing stabilizers.

The larger ships are just as prone to movement, and in many seas will move even more, due to hull's length/breadth ratio, shallower and flatter keel shape, etc.

The Rotterdam is in great shape and in good repair. The crew did an excellent job of keeping her clean and looking good.
The maintenance was ongoing even at sea.

They certainly look after her well. They are always doing something. This was at Montevideo on her last call there for the season,getting a freshen up, before she headed up to the Med.

CIMG1021.jpg

But built in 1997......that's a lot of years under a ship's belt without a major refit.

Rotterdam VI just had a major refit about just 3 years ago...

...and she's only 11 years old - Folks have been flocking to the 40 year old QEII before she leaves service next month.

Archived